Any luck without current MCAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Spock

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am currently working on secondaries and am finding that some schools are ok with my April 2013 MCAT score and some schools are not. I called the schools to try and get an idea if that rule was absolute or if a good applicant would still be considered, because honestly those scores are typically only "too old" by a few months. So far all the schools I contacted (nova, western, pcom, Des Moines) said I would not be eligible as an applicant but I am wondering if anyone has had luck applying and being accepted without having an exactly current MCAT score. Basically, have any of you had experience with leeway being given for "requirements" not being totally met? It's worth mentioning that I only spoke to people in the admissions office and not admissions committee members. I think admissions office staff would tend to say a rule is a rule while a committee member might be more forgiving for a good applicant.

I'm tempted to just apply anyways since I have a fee waiver but I'm hesitant to potentially waste my time as well.

Members don't see this ad.

That's impossible for anyone to tell you which school will say yes or no. You have to call or email each one, ask them individually, and see their stance on it. If the school says they are no longer accepting the old MCAT or one that is too old, then that pretty much means no but you can ask anyways if you are such a strong candidate, that if they can let it slide. However thats a hard question to phrase to be honest.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's impossible for anyone to tell you which school will say yes or no. You have to call or email each one, ask them individually, and see their stance on it. If the school says they are no longer accepting the old MCAT or one that is too old, then that pretty much means no but you can ask anyways if you are such a strong candidate, that if they can let it slide. However thats a hard question to phrase to be honest.

I've done exactly what you've said, but like I mentioned it's only possible to speak to admissions office staff, who frankly are not making any admissions decisions and therefore would probably be of the mindset "a rule is a rule".

The goal of my post was to inquire whether or not anyone on here has actually been admitted to a medical college in this country despite not having met one of these less crucial requirements. For example, I got into UC Santa Cruz despite having not met their minimum GPA requirement and I'm curious if anyone has had experiences like this with medical colleges.

Some of the newer schools, like ACOM, accept out to four years and then accept older scores on a case by case basis.

Why not just email admissions committee members instead of calling and talking to the staff since you don't want to listen to them anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@Ho0v-man I like that idea. How would I get contact info for admissions committee members at particular schools?

It's usually on the website or somewhere in the secondary. Heck, I guess you could actually call and ask for the email address. Calling directly would probably just get you a voicemail box.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do not reach out to indivual committee members. Just ask admission offices. If they say you're ok, go for it. If they say no then don't. Reaching out to individual committee members is obnoxious and unnecessary.

Reactions: 2 users
Again, my goal is to understand if anyone is aware whether or not exceptions are made for these kinds of things, since a few month seems pretty insignificant all things considered.

You also have to consider that there are thousands of qualified applicants who aren't looking for exceptions. The application process is a lot of jumping through hoops and sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and jump.

Reactions: 1 users
Again, my goal is to understand if anyone is aware whether or not exceptions are made for these kinds of things, since a few month seems pretty insignificant all things considered.
It varies per school. There are some (don't remember which) that specifically say they will evaluate on a case by case basis. A good rule of thumb is if they say it's a rule and not otherwise then odds are good it is an absolute rule.

The admissions office people are the ones who do the screening to make sure your app is complete before it goes to the adcoms so if they say no then it's no.

Reactions: 1 user
If your scores are too old, then your file will be considered incomplete and thrust into limbo.

Hi all

I am currently working on secondaries and am finding that some schools are ok with my April 2013 MCAT score and some schools are not. I called the schools to try and get an idea if that rule was absolute or if a good applicant would still be considered, because honestly those scores are typically only "too old" by a few months. So far all the schools I contacted (nova, western, pcom, Des Moines) said I would not be eligible as an applicant but I am wondering if anyone has had luck applying and being accepted without having an exactly current MCAT score. Basically, have any of you had experience with leeway being given for "requirements" not being totally met? It's worth mentioning that I only spoke to people in the admissions office and not admissions committee members. I think admissions office staff would tend to say a rule is a rule while a committee member might be more forgiving for a good applicant.

I'm tempted to just apply anyways since I have a fee waiver but I'm hesitant to potentially waste my time as well.

It is the admissions staff that rule the roost, they review the apps, send out interview, etc. The committee people make the decision on yay or nay but do not usually override the rules set up by admissions.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your feedback everyone. This was the most sobering comment:

You also have to consider that there are thousands of qualified applicants who aren't looking for exceptions. The application process is a lot of jumping through hoops and sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and jump.