Any Marathon Runner's or Triathletes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandiegodo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any marathon runner's or triathletes out there?

I'm training for a marathon and I'm just wondering if people have time to train or complete marathons during the first two years of med-school. I haven't begun training for a triathlon, but I'm eager to start. Does anyone have any advice for fellow athletic students?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey - I ran my fourth marathon during my first year. It is definately doable but it was mentally the hardest one I have done. Triathlon season is traditionally over by the end of September so you should not have any problems there. I didn't do any tris after class started due to my marathon training.

I still do run alot during school. I keep my long run up - 10 mile long run each week but sometimes my weekly milege falls.

Goodluck - training is tough regardless you may already know this part but you can do it. You just need more sleep and FOOD!

What distance are you training for on the tri?

I am getting ready to begin training for my first triathalon, competing on August 1. I have never done it before, therefore, I can't call myself a triathlete. I have a background of being a sprinter, bodybuilding, basketball and football, so this will be a challenge.
Did my first 5K a few weekends ago; I did ok. So we shall see

-C

Members don't see this ad :)
what tri are you doing Chris? Great job on the 5K and goodluck with training!

drchris33 said:
I am getting ready to begin training for my first triathalon, competing on August 1. I have never done it before, therefore, I can't call myself a triathlete. I have a background of being a sprinter, bodybuilding, basketball and football, so this will be a challenge.
Did my first 5K a few weekends ago; I did ok. So we shall see

-C

i had a wrestling coach while in high school that went down to austrailia for the iron man competition, took third in the world and first in the usa.

sorry i'm not a marathon runner! But I really wanted to run a 5K this summer- any tips for me? like when how to train from experience. I run 2 or more miles every other day and then do weights or classes at the gym. how shoudl i start actually getting ready for the 5K so i will do okay. Thanks!

-Jen

what are the standard distances for an amateur/non professional triathalon (is it a 5K or 10K run, how much biking, swimming?), and i'm not talking about those Ironman ones, i'm not that insane.

Jen 21,
You might want to start by gradually increasing your mileage. I would try to get every other run to be race distance (3 miles) this week. The week after (or 2 weeks later depending upon how you feel) try to make 1 or 2 of your runs at 4 or 4 and 1/2 miles. This will give you the endurance to feel comfortable at the 3.1 (5K) distance. Once you get used to the distance, run some 1/2 mile intervals (2 or 3 to start, with a 1/2 mile easy jog in between each one) once a week a little faster than your projected race pace. The overall concept is to build a mileage base (endurance) and get used to running the pace you want to race (speed). I hope this helps.

I ran my first marathon in december of my first year in school. As long as you can get up at 5 or 6 in the morning :sleep: you should be okay. However, I wouldn't suggest you run one during your first year or at least at the beginning of your first year. Find out first what you need to do to be successful in school (how much studying and so forth), and then train for your runs. You can always run later but you don't want to screw up some of your classes because you had too much on your plate. Medical school is time to buckle down and put the time in.

Having said that I'm starting to train for another marathon in september and plan to run another one in december.

AZCOM MS2

DrRichardKimble said:
what are the standard distances for an amateur/non professional triathalon (is it a 5K or 10K run, how much biking, swimming?), and i'm not talking about those Ironman ones, i'm not that insane.

Olympic distance races are one of the most common and the distances are 1.5K swim, 40k bike and a 10k run. You can find any distances around that from sprint distances up to double Ironmans
:eek:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

This is a great website if you are just learning how to train for a tri. I have used this website since Jan and it's help me a lot. I am running my first sprint in three weeks. Wish me luck.

Jen21 -

5k training - I would work up to doing atleast one long run a week of atleast 6-7 miles. During the week you could do easy and hard runs that consist of 2-4 miles of distance. It was mentioned earlier in this thread but hitting the track is a great idea. You could do 400 or 800 meter repeats. I would start with atleast a 1 mile warmup and then build up your repeats and then follow with a cool down. Goodluck with your training!!!

DO what makes you feel comfortable and that will just come with your experience of racing the 5ks.

Hey there is no standard distance except for olympic and ironman distances. I have seen amateur triathletes do sprint distances. I have done tris with just a 300 yard swim, 18.5 miles bike and 5k run. That is what is sooo great about triathalons

DrRichardKimble said:

Guy named Jim Carothers graduating from KCOM this year. He's a world class triathlete who competed in several world events during his first 2 years of med school.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll let you know how things go :) Oh one more question- I get shin splints sometimes- what does everyone else do to help them (other then stretching them and icing them). thanks! :)

apass said:
Hey - I ran my fourth marathon during my first year. It is definately doable but it was mentally the hardest one I have done. Triathlon season is traditionally over by the end of September so you should not have any problems there. I didn't do any tris after class started due to my marathon training.

I still do run alot during school. I keep my long run up - 10 mile long run each week but sometimes my weekly milege falls.

Goodluck - training is tough regardless you may already know this part but you can do it. You just need more sleep and FOOD!

What distance are you training for on the tri?

Hey apass, sorry I didn't get back to you right away.... I've been out of town. You sound amazing! Running a marathon during med-school. You inspire me! I'm running my first marathon here in San Diego in less than two weeks and I'm really excited! I?m not elite, but I?m shooting to finish sub - 4:00.

Since I'm going to school in Philly, I wanted to do the Philadelphia marathon, but I'm going to see how far I can push myself... within reason. I?ll maintain a 1/2 marathon-training core, since a full-blown marathon can be strenuous. All I'm doing now is training, and it's awesome. Most people can't quite figure out why I've chosen to run 26.2 miles, but for those of you who have done it, you understand that high of running 22 miles in the morning and having a full day ahead. It's a feeling like no other.

In terms of distance I haven't begun my training for the tri, but I'm looking forward to training for an Olympic distance. I'm not much of a swimmer, and I need a bike: eek: It's a huge investment, but I feel training for a tri is a more balanced approach.

It?s really nice to meet and read about other athletes. Good luck with everyone?s goals this year. :thumbup:

Take care,
SD

brianjc said:
I ran my first marathon in december of my first year in school. As long as you can get up at 5 or 6 in the morning :sleep: you should be okay. However, I wouldn't suggest you run one during your first year or at least at the beginning of your first year. Find out first what you need to do to be successful in school (how much studying and so forth), and then train for your runs. You can always run later but you don't want to screw up some of your classes because you had too much on your plate. Medical school is time to buckle down and put the time in.

Having said that I'm starting to train for another marathon in september and plan to run another one in december.

AZCOM MS2

So no marathons first year... I actually don't have a problem getting up a 5am on Saturday mornings. I'm so use to it. But being in med-school is a whole different story.
Now, I can get up early, run and veg for the rest of the day. I'm going to miss just lounging around after long runs. Maybe I'll do the 5 yr plan.
Good luck in Sept.

jen21 said:
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll let you know how things go :) Oh one more question- I get shin splints sometimes- what does everyone else do to help them (other then stretching them and icing them). thanks! :)

Hey Jen,
I use to get the worst shin splints for the first two months of my marathon training.... it sucked A$$!!! My coach advised me to ice, ice, ice them. He also gave me this cool exercise to strengthen them and it's hard to describe, but here goes: it's like tapping your foot while standing, flat foot and tap your toes only. Stager your feet, and tap about 20 times per-side. Your shins should fatigue, then switch sides. If you do this through out the day it should help. Just run through the pain and eventually they will get stronger. I know, because now my shins are solid.
Oh, one more thing, you should be icing for a minimum of 20 min / shin.
Good Luck!

sandiegodo said:
So no marathons first year... I actually don't have a problem getting up a 5am on Saturday mornings. I'm so use to it. But being in med-school is a whole different story.
Now, I can get up early, run and veg for the rest of the day. I'm going to miss just lounging around after long runs. Maybe I'll do the 5 yr plan.
Good luck in Sept.

Ya if your able to get up early sounded kind of bad. But at AZCOM we have exams every monday and sometimes twice a week. So getting up at 5 in the morning after having studied until midnight or later the previous night starts to be a drag. The beginning of your training is really pretty easy. But when the long runs start it's hard to stay motivated. But it just depends on how you study as well. I am one of those people who have to put in 12 hours a day to do decent.

Anyway thanks for the luck in September. I'm going to need it. I have to train here in Phoenix where soon it will be 110 +.

HEY - that is funny you are back in San Diego. I just came out to New York to do a 2 week preceptorship at St. Barnabas and there is a bunch of PCOM students there that were awesome.

San Diego will be AWESOME and you are right it is great to get those extra long runs in early and then have the rest of the day ahead of you and you feel like you can eat anything you want and well, then you do...

I am not fast my fastest is 4:13 unfortanately (in fact all my marathons are with in two minutes of each other - ****)- I should be sub 4 but I lose it the last 6 miles. I run under 8:30s for halfs but seem to lose it on the marathon. I would say the marathon I did in October was not the best feeling one. My training started to fall and I couldn't keep up with it but I was glad to just finish that one.

I have heard pos and negs about Philly's marathon. Two of my friends ran it and say that the only thing that sucks is that you see people ahead of you finishing the race for eight miles and it just drains you. You should try the lottery for the NYC marathon in November but if not Philly will be good too.

the bike....It is an expensive purchase. Now is an expensive time to buy one but it is when everyone wants one.

Well goodluck with training and the marathon. Lets us know how it goes! I will keep my fingers crossed that the weather is cool and that you are kicking butt!

see ya

sandiegodo said:
Hey apass, sorry I didn't get back to you right away.... I've been out of town. You sound amazing! Running a marathon during med-school. You inspire me! I'm running my first marathon here in San Diego in less than two weeks and I'm really excited! I?m not elite, but I?m shooting to finish sub - 4:00.

Since I'm going to school in Philly, I wanted to do the Philadelphia marathon, but I'm going to see how far I can push myself... within reason. I?ll maintain a 1/2 marathon-training core, since a full-blown marathon can be strenuous. All I'm doing now is training, and it's awesome. Most people can't quite figure out why I've chosen to run 26.2 miles, but for those of you who have done it, you understand that high of running 22 miles in the morning and having a full day ahead. It's a feeling like no other.

In terms of distance I haven't begun my training for the tri, but I'm looking forward to training for an Olympic distance. I'm not much of a swimmer, and I need a bike: eek: It's a huge investment, but I feel training for a tri is a more balanced approach.

It?s really nice to meet and read about other athletes. Good luck with everyone?s goals this year. :thumbup:

Take care,
SD

People w/ flat feet tend to get frequent shin splints. I had to make sure that my running shoes were up to par and that foot tapping exercize mentioned earlier is awesome for stretching.

I've been 'sedentary' for the past year and am trying to get back into running now....