yezzur

10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2006
Status
Hi everyone

I am currently in the process of applying to DO and MD and even carribean schools for the upcoming 2010 class.

However, due to my low Gpa, I am even considering applying to post-bacc/SMP schools, just to make sure I am doing something and not wasting anytime.

So my question is, are there any schools that are still accepting for this September 2009 or earlier or even Jan. 2010 (i think i read some schools do)

I live in the Los Angeles, CA area so it would be nice to go somewhere near here.

THank you so much!

mommy2three

PGY-1
10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i think at this point you would be too late for a fall program start. most fall programs close their application somewhere around june.
i do not know of any programs (at least here) that start in jan.

best wishes :)

medhearter

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2008
Status
Medical Student
-------------

Last edited:

wannabesrgn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
there's no SMP's in cali, but I believe the berkeley extension/post-bac is pretty casual to get into...so you could look into that.

gl0baltrader

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2008
Status
Medical Student
As far as I know all the formal program's deadline has been closed. You can try taking open campus classes (non-formal) at state college or university. It'll boost your GPA.

OP
Y

yezzur

10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2006
Status
I graduated last June 2008. and have taken couple of classes at a CC to boost my GPA, at least for DO schools.

I am applying right now, to a lot of DO schools, and couple of MD (long shot)
and waiting for my MCAT score to come in next week.

my overall for DO schools gpa is 2.95 and science gpa is 2.85.

mommy2three

PGY-1
10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
even if deadlines have passed you should contact the specific programs and ask them if they're still considering.

dont listen to ppl who tell you its too late. its not. these programs barely ever stay full come august.
i can only speak to the programs here in illinois but i know they all have waitlists and they all closed applications early june.

i was one of the ones who got in off the waitlist :)

robflanker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yezzur - just so you know while your GPA will be boosted by CC classes. It's a temporary boost. As soon as med schools look at your class list, your A in a CC carries a heck of a lot less weight than an A at a 4yr college.

Just so you are realistic, the CC will bring up your GPA but the med schools wont look at it with the same weight that they would a 4yr place. You aren't getting the bang for your buck, that you think you are getting

Jun 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
There are definitely a few programs that start in the spring I'm sure you could apply for. I just spoke with the director at New York Medical College and they're still accepting application for the Traditional Track Masters program (I'm filling out the app right now). It starts in September...

Also I know the UCONN post bac program allows people to start in the spring as well.

OP
Y

yezzur

10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2006
Status
There are definitely a few programs that start in the spring I'm sure you could apply for. I just spoke with the director at New York Medical College and they're still accepting application for the Traditional Track Masters program (I'm filling out the app right now). It starts in September...

Also I know the UCONN post bac program allows people to start in the spring as well.
thank you
Do you know if the New York Medical College is a 2 year or 1 year program? I am looking for a 1 year thats why.

OP
Y

yezzur

10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2006
Status
Yezzur - just so you know while your GPA will be boosted by CC classes. It's a temporary boost. As soon as med schools look at your class list, your A in a CC carries a heck of a lot less weight than an A at a 4yr college.

Just so you are realistic, the CC will bring up your GPA but the med schools wont look at it with the same weight that they would a 4yr place. You aren't getting the bang for your buck, that you think you are getting
thanks for your input dude
So where do you think I should apply

robflanker

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd hold off on applying to DO schools, save yourself the money - you are a fair way from their avg stats. You could spend the yr volunterring or doing some medical or research to help boost that side of your app

I'd apply to some SMPs and hope for the best.

Good luck to you.