Any MD/PhD interview invites yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacGyver

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I noticed on the other thread people have been getting interviews.

thought i would start a separate thread for MD/PhD interviews.

yesterday I got an invite to interview for the MD/PhD (MSTP) program at Yale.

Anybody else get any MD/PhD interviews yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Jeebus!!!
I can't believe how smart some of you guys are!
Even if I studied 20 hours a day I could not hope to score that FREAKING high on the MCAT...makes me wonder how I am going to get into med school!
You the Man!!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo:
•Jeebus!!!
I can't believe how smart some of you guys are!
Even if I studied 20 hours a day I could not hope to score that FREAKING high on the MCAT...makes me wonder how I am going to get into med school!
You the Man!!•

Ahh don't worry scoob, some important characteristics such as personality, motiviation, as well as maturity will shine in the interview, which i hold as high if not higher than the numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Macgyver,
Maybe you should wait until someone actually asks before you post your stats, and then maybe privately message them. There are definately some people that probably don't care to see how high you scored, and how high your GPA is, because it only makes them feel inferior, and inadequate. Just a thought.

Originally posted by 4-6 Weeks:
•Ahh don't worry scoob, some important characteristics such as personality, motiviation, as well as maturity will shine in the interview, which i hold as high if not higher than the numbers.•

He's right scoob. If the admissions committee at Yale gets the impression that all I am is numbers, they will take someone with a 30 MCAT and a 3.4 GPA in a heartbeat over me.

I dont think they will have that opinion of me, but just illustrating that once you get to the interview, all the numbers get thrown out and we're on level playing field.

How many others out there are tryhing to be mudphuds? Sound off.

macgyver,

how did you get your recommendations sent so quickly. i'm also a penn student and mine were sent on the first day that they were able to be sent. how did you hear so soon? you getting a committee letter or what?

Originally posted by jordews:
•Macgyver,
Maybe you should wait until someone actually asks before you post your stats, and then maybe privately message them. There are definately some people that probably don't care to see how high you scored, and how high your GPA is, because it only makes them feel inferior, and inadequate. Just a thought.•

Not trying to make anybody feel inferior, I just noticed on the other interview thread there were several requests to hear about people's stats.

I just didnt want to bother writing 20 different private messages to everybody.

Good luck to all you guys.. i would love to be at a medical school with any of you. ;)

thnx for posting ur stats

macugyver.....I don't have stats like urs, but I appreciate the fact that u posted them....

at least, if I didnt get any interviews, I know so far it has been numbers. Although, that isn't to imply that you don't have a well rounded character, I am sure you do.....

but those seem to be the hot potatoes right now :D high mcat and high gpa

Originally posted by Tbone:
•macgyver,

how did you get your recommendations sent so quickly. i'm also a penn student and mine were sent on the first day that they were able to be sent. how did you hear so soon? you getting a committee letter or what?•

I am getting the HPAB committee letter, but since I'm applying MD/PhD I'm also getting 5 letters from research advisors and PIs.

These are separate from the HPAB packet and I had them sent out as soon as I submitted the Yale secondary (a few days after it was available online).

Yale doesnt have my HPAB packet yet but should be getting it soon since its complete and ready to go.

What happened is the Yale MSTP program wrote me an email stating that they would set up both the MD and MD/PhD interviews.

At many schools, the MSTP program can "influence" the MD program to offer a potential candidate an interview if the MSTP program thinks they are competitive.

So, the long answer to your question is that Yale gave me an interview based on my separate MD/PhD letters, and does not have my HPAB premed packet yet.

I have no problem with him showing the stats...we should just include them in our signature :) haha..
It's just like...WOW....Kind of like when you are young and enter Disneyland or Magic Mountain for the first time...Extreme admiration for the marvels of mankind.