Any MD students who started as Medical technologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quitomate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
there are some threads about medical technologist out there but none actually answer my question.

I am going to med school and I am a medical technologist. I want to hear from MD students how having gone through the MT program helped them with their classes in medical school, if at all. Also, are classes such as microbiology and hematology in medical school taught in more detail, or how do they differ from the MT program?

Also, I don' t know if I should throw away the 50 punds of notes, worksheets, lectures and manuals that I accumulated during the Medical Technology program. Would they be useful in med school?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a med tech and I can say that depending on your schedule, those things will definitely help you though mostly in the second year. DON'T throw them away!! I'm starting med school in Fall 09, but I know several people in med school now and there are things that you will have learned that will help you through. Good to see another MT! Congrats!

Bump!

I'm an MLT, and I'll graduate and get my MT this may. I am headed to med school fall '09 as well.

I've flipped through some USMLE Step 1 books, and occasionally come across a question that I can answer. So maybe it will help us out a little bit. But, I would also like to know what someone who has already gone through med school would say to this question.

I guess we'll find out soon, eh?

I am also an MT. I have been out of school since 2002 and plan on retaking prereqs. I wont be able to take the MCAT until 2011.

It is good to see other fellow Techs that are going to Med School. So what do you guys want to specialize in? I want to go into Pathology.

Peace and Blessings:)