1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Any med schools accept people after 11th grade?

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by jmdoc007, Aug 8, 2011.

1. jmdoc007

2+ Year Member

Hi, I'm from Jamaica. And in my country, you start high school at grade 7 (1st form) and graduate from high school at grade 11 (5th form), then you either go to university or you go back to school for something called 6th form which is completely optional in which you spend 2 years (6B then 6A; or in other words grades 12 and 13) and then graduate again. I want to know if there are any med schools out there what will accept students after their first graduation (grade 11/5th form), so if you know any, please post the names/websites here. I would be very very very grateful and I believe this would also benefit other students as well. Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bambi

bambi Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In the UK at least there is a minimum age requirement for medical school. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case other places.

4. jmdoc007

2+ Year Member

Well I know for the UK, u need A levels, and in Jamaica CAPE is the equivalent of A levels and you do CAPE in 6th form; therefore you would need to go the 6th form to attend medical school there so I was thinking more of med schools in other countries.

Just out of curiosity however, what is the required age? And thank you for responding to my post :)

5. bambi

bambi Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    17 and three quarters. Some schools say by a set date like 1st of August that year, some I think say by the first day of term.

I think most, if not all countries in Europe require schooling to a 6th form equivalent.

6. jmdoc007

2+ Year Member

Thanks for the response. It's too bad, as the average age of a graduate at the end of 5th form is 17 years old, and at the end of 6th form is 19. So the age wouldn't be a problem in regards to applying after 5th form, it would be the need for the A levels or an appropriate equivalent.

If only there were a school that would accept people at the 5th form level, especially since med schools reteach the things taught at the A-Level/CAPE level, don't they? I mean, on some schools website they say they only require chem + another science or math for example, so you're going to have matriculants who only did chem and bio for example or chem and math, etc. And therefore you are bound to have people who don't have advanced training in a specific subject or two and therefore, for that reasons university would need to reteach the material, right (A student who did bio+chem would need to be taught physics, chem+phys+math would need to be taught bio, etc.)?

7. bambi

bambi Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No, nothing is really repeated.

8. jmdoc007

2+ Year Member

Wow, thanks for clearing that up. So what happens to the students who didn't do one of the sciences for example?

9. bambi

bambi Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It makes no difference.

Part of the reason schools ask for those subjects is obviously because they are science but part of it is just because they are more rigorous than other subjects and it shows you can handle a decent work load. It's an easy way to weed out a lot of would-be applicants.

10. jmdoc007

2+ Year Member

Thanks for all the help bambi. I heard that UK schools couldn't care less about E.C.'s and that they mainly only care about scores. Is this true? I would like to assume that things like volunteering, shadowing a doctor, etc. would help in a med school application. Is this assumption wrong?

#9 jmdoc007, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  11. sineapse

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Quite the opposite. Most students who apply to medical school are predicted AAA at A level so there has to be other filters to place students. These include a personal statement, evidence of work experience demonstrating a depth and breadth of experience, interviews etc

12. jmdoc007

2+ Year Member

When you say AAA, is that A's in 3 subjects? Or is it 1 subject with three different profiles (e.g. labs, theory, etc.)?

13. bambi

bambi Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    3 subjects. Usually chem, bio and 1 other. To get As in 3 subjects though you need to get As in most modules but a few high Bs could be made up for with higher As.

14. jmdoc007

2+ Year Member

Ohh sorry, I phrased my question wrong. I shouldn't have asked if E.C.'s matter to European schools, what I should is: "Is it that only the E.C.'s that pertain to the program you're applying to matter, to the university?"

So for example, when you're applying to an American university, say you were applying for an economics major, if you were a member of the karate club, captain of the football team, founder of the art club, vice president of the future business leader association and treasurer of the student council; each and every one of those E.C.'s would matter, and would all help towards you being admitted. If you were applying to a European university for an economics major on the other hand, I heard that they couldn't care less about any of those E.C.'s except for maybe the future business leader association as they have nothing to do with economics. So I want to know if that's true, that if your E.C. does not directly relate to your proposed major then it doesn't help you at all in the admissions cycle.

If it is true, would you say that the only type of E.C.s that would help your med school application are things such as shadowing, volunteering at hospitals/clinics, medical/health related clubs, etc.? If not what else? What about having leadership positions (e.g. president, vp, treasurer) in clubs that don't relate to medicine such as a computer club, would that help in that it shows that you have leadership qualities? Or the mere fact that it doesn't relate to medicine would automatically cause it not to carry any weight?

On the same note, what kind of E.C.s could someone who is interested in becoming a physician or surgeon participate in?

15. sineapse

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, your extra curricular activities don't have to be medicine focussed, the best ECs are ones that show admissions tutors that you are a real person, with a life outside of work and some social skills. If you can show you are a team player through your ECs, all the better. Make sure that ECs show a depth and breadth of commitment, as that is what they want to see reflected in your ability to complete the course.