Any Med Students from Hawaii at a Mainland School?

sepho

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I have a specific question about the application process. How did you handle the interview process, in terms of scheduling and traveling (expenses, etc.)? If you were a student during that process, how did you travel while classes were still in session? Did you plan trips to interview at multiple places? Did most schools allow a phone interview?

Also, info on which schools you applied to and such would be great.

Thanks.

o0rikio0o

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2007
Status
i'm from hawaii and when i applied to mainland schools, i just called them and worked out an interview date such that it would immediately precede or follow another interview i had on the mainland. for example, UHSUS and georgetown interviews were in the same week; and my USC and loma linda were in the same week as well.

my other friend, she went to undergrad on the mainland. when it was time for interviews, she made it such that her interviews would be while she was still up in the mainland so that she could just drive around there while still up there.

Ashers

Bacteria? Don't exist.
10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
Land of Entrapment
Status
Attending Physician
I have a specific question about the application process. How did you handle the interview process, in terms of scheduling and traveling (expenses, etc.)? If you were a student during that process, how did you travel while classes were still in session? Did you plan trips to interview at multiple places? Did most schools allow a phone interview?

Also, info on which schools you applied to and such would be great.

Thanks.
I was working when I applied and interviewed. I did about 4 interview trips to the Mainland: in 2 I hit up 1 school, in 1 I got to 2 schools, and in another I went to 3 schools (including one in London).

If it's important enough to apply to med school, it's important enough to travel to the school.

MCW has a few people from Hawaii. There's 2 in my class (me [Maui] and a guy from Pearl City). There's a guy from Hilo in the class behind me. There's also an ortho PGY-3 in MCW's program that went to school here.

On the Mainland, I got interviews at Pitt, Tulane, SLU, Cincinatti, Temple, MCW, and Imperial College (London). In every single interview people asked why I'd consider leaving Hawaii.

OP
S

sepho

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I was working when I applied and interviewed. I did about 4 interview trips to the Mainland: in 2 I hit up 1 school, in 1 I got to 2 schools, and in another I went to 3 schools (including one in London).

If it's important enough to apply to med school, it's important enough to travel to the school.

MCW has a few people from Hawaii. There's 2 in my class (me [Maui] and a guy from Pearl City). There's a guy from Hilo in the class behind me. There's also an ortho PGY-3 in MCW's program that went to school here.

On the Mainland, I got interviews at Pitt, Tulane, SLU, Cincinatti, Temple, MCW, and Imperial College (London). In every single interview people asked why I'd consider leaving Hawaii.
Thanks for sharing. Did the idea of a phone interview ever come up? Are the schools pretty flexible in scheduling interviews, so you can hit multiple interviews in one trip?

o0rikio0o

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2007
Status
dont quote me on this, but i think the carribean schools can interview you by phone, but i never really heard of any US schools interviewing by phone. schools are usually flexible with interview sessions. doesnt hurt to ask, and it will definitely work out better for you if you can.

Ashers

Bacteria? Don't exist.
10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
Land of Entrapment
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks for sharing. Did the idea of a phone interview ever come up? Are the schools pretty flexible in scheduling interviews, so you can hit multiple interviews in one trip?
No, most weren't too flexible. I called some to ask about date availability around other interviews, and they told me: no, just the one's I had been offered.

braintrust

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
May 17, 2007
Hawaii
Status
Medical Student
I only made 4 trips and on two of them was able to hit multiple schools. I had Nine on the mainland total. So Each time I had an interview I called every single school I applied to, applied my charm like spackle and told them I was going to be in there area... relatively (to hawaii). The would laugh and sometimes I got a no but sometimes I got a yes. This takes strategy and figuring out which days they are offering interviews (eg jefferson only on wednesdays). It can be done and you may find that you'll be surprised with how arbitrary it can be. I know that at least four of my interviews I probably would not have gotten unless admission had recognized me. My first trip I had 4 interview in one week. My third trip had three interviews in one week. My last trip was to USC which was really quick to cali and back. If you play it right they will understaand you are taking on a lot by traveling so far and it reflects well upon your desire to be at their school. It can be done.

As far as how I made the time, I'm a grad student so I just to my professor who I TA for that I was leaving for a week. As far as missing class, its graduate school, I wasn't missed and I centainly didn't miss it.

OP
S

sepho

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I only made 4 trips and on two of them was able to hit multiple schools. I had Nine on the mainland total. So Each time I had an interview I called every single school I applied to, applied my charm like spackle and told them I was going to be in there area... relatively (to hawaii). The would laugh and sometimes I got a no but sometimes I got a yes. This takes strategy and figuring out which days they are offering interviews (eg jefferson only on wednesdays). It can be done and you may find that you'll be surprised with how arbitrary it can be. I know that at least four of my interviews I probably would not have gotten unless admission had recognized me. My first trip I had 4 interview in one week. My third trip had three interviews in one week. My last trip was to USC which was really quick to cali and back. If you play it right they will understaand you are taking on a lot by traveling so far and it reflects well upon your desire to be at their school. It can be done.

As far as how I made the time, I'm a grad student so I just to my professor who I TA for that I was leaving for a week. As far as missing class, its graduate school, I wasn't missed and I centainly didn't miss it.
what do you mean you wouldn't have gotten 4 interviews if admissions didn't recognize you?

braintrust

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
May 17, 2007
Hawaii
Status
Medical Student
some schools take note of everytime that you call. Some really don't like to be bothered. Those that like to be called keep track because the like to admitt student who demonstrate how much they want to go there. Also A familiarity with the office staff is something I'm sure that may help on some miniscule level. I may have partially misspoke But when I say I wouldn't have gotten the interview it they hadn't recognized me it was also due to the fact that those 4 times I was able to talk directly to a dean or assistant dean of admissions and get him to bring my app up on the computer. Sometimes they saw something and said "yeh I think my school might be interested in you why don't you come down". The conversation had already begun by me saying I have another intereview in the area so At that point I would try to negotiate something beneficial in terms of date.

OP
S

sepho

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
Status
Medical Student
are you saying that you negotiated an interview before they called you for an interview?

if so, that's pretty smooth.