Any Med Students from UCLA/DREW?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Dr. Don, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Dr. Don

Dr. Don Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hello, I have a couple of questions to those med students who are currently at UCLA/DREW or were accepted there but chose to go somewhere else....did you get accepted off the waitlist? if so, how long did you have to wait after being put on the waitlist to hear from them. If you were accepted w/o being waitlisted, what parts of your app made you a strong applicant to DREW? If you were accepted to DREW and chose to go somewhere else, why? DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT HOW MANY STUDENT DREW TAKES OFF THE WAITLIST? Dr. Miller said that a pretty good amount get accepted off the waitlist, but I'm not really sure about that this year...it just seems like it's going to be really difficult to get in when ONLY 24 spots are available..thanks for your responses.

2. DNAdude

DNAdude Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dr. don
    i am in the same shoes as you pretty much.. (interviewed in april).i do know that admissions to the program is pretty wacked..one of my friends got in to the program 12 weeks after he interviewed so go figure.
    dont count too much on the waitlist and from what I have heard dr. miller is just a talker.
    one thing that i would really like to know however is if the class is filled? whould you happen to knnow.....
    good luck

3. Dr. Don

Dr. Don Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    from what I have heard, the class is not full yet...I hope DREW comes through....well good luck. does anybody else have any other comments regarding DREW?

4. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

My question about Drew...it's clearly a private instituion, but half of the instruction takes place at a public school. I wonder how exactly they get past prop 209 so blatantly. I guess it would be different if the first two years were at LA. I mean I'm not against the school's mission, it's a good thing, but the law is the law...

5. jmejia1

jmejia1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by none:
    <strong>My question about Drew...it's clearly a private instituion, but half of the instruction takes place at a public school. I wonder how exactly they get past prop 209 so blatantly. I guess it would be different if the first two years were at LA. I mean I'm not against the school's mission, it's a good thing, but the law is the law...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">the mission of the school is to train capable and compassionate individuals to practice in underserved areas, it just happens that such areas are populated by URMs, and that URMs are statistically more likely to work in such areas. 1700 individuals apply to drew, and I'm willing to bet that many of those are URM, and therefore, explains why they accept mostly minority students. however, drew does not exclusively admit URMs. in fact, some persians and asians gain admission.

those 24 spots aren't going to make a world's difference in terms of "taking" seats from majority students. i think that collectively, we should applaud the program because it's addresses a major crisis in the healthcare of minority populations and thus we should end this selfish whining about "blatant discrimination" or "the law is the law". lets not forget that we want to become doctors to make a difference in peoples lives because we are hopefully compassioante people. because we are compassionate, we should have no qualms with Drew's admission practices.

6. Dr. Don

Dr. Don Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey peeps, for anyone that is interested, I was talking to this med student at DREW and he said that he got in to DREW TWO weeks before school started. He was on his way to Vanderbilt Med when he got the call...THAT's AWESOME! but it makes me think, if he got in to Vandy, he was probably solid anywas, and unfortunately some of us have some weak areas in out file (i.e. my verbal) that may prevent our movement...I just figured I pass this along, peace

7. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by none:
    <strong>My question about Drew...it's clearly a private instituion, but half of the instruction takes place at a public school. I wonder how exactly they get past prop 209 so blatantly. I guess it would be different if the first two years were at LA. I mean I'm not against the school's mission, it's a good thing, but the law is the law...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">One way of getting around the law is to have the majority of people who apply to you school be a URM. I'm willing to bet that if drew was 100% color blind in it's admissions, you would end up with the same ratio of different students.

That being said, I'm all of Drew choosing almost all URM's. The mission is to make doctors who want to serve in underserved areas, and URM's are more likely to be comfortable in those areas and practice. (sorry for the blatant stereotype)