Any Med Students in Italy, Czech, Poland, Hungary, Romania?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSilentKnight

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Breaking in the first post here. If this is posted in the wrong section, or if a similar post has previously been suggested, please let me know to avoid heavy traffic.

I am a Canadian citizen, I am 23 years old, and I am itching to study medicine. I am currently at university, doing my first year science courses. I have a medical laboratory assistant certificate (essentially working in pathology department, bloodwork, ecg's etc). This has given me exposure as to what a physician does throughout the day. I love it. It is the only thing I think about these days.

Having previously lived in central/eastern europe, I have always wanted to go back and live there. Now, reading about the opportunity to study medicine in central/eastern europe, my eyes are lighting up. But with this option, of course, comes a great deal of stress, jumping through loops, language barriers etc. I am planning on taking off to study medicine in europe potentially next fall (september) if all things to smoothly.

I have a series of questions for those that have done this specific trek. From funding, to getting accepted, to why you chose europe, to why you chose the specific school that you attended. But first things first, these are the countries that i've narrowed my search to:

Poland - There are a plentiful amount of english programs, and from what i've read they are creditable and well respected. Although there are opinions that differ.

Italy - Now here is a grey area. I've read some opposing views on medical school in italy, one of my friends who is studying in Hungary, at the University of Debrecen said to me that he had a physician friend that he met who studied in italy and he wished he went elsewhere in europe. The kicker is, tuition is cheap. Especially having been self funding my life for the previous 2 years, it will be very cheap for me. IMAT test required. I don't see an issue with this as I am doing my first year science courses.
Has anybody/do you know anybody that studied medicine in italy as a non-eu?

Czech Republic - Schools like charles university are highly respectable. With a large number of applicants returning to north america, this seems like a great option. higher tuition rates.

Hungary - Having a friend already there, I have an in on what to expect, life etc.. From what he has told me, it has been a positive experience, and that your class size diminishes exponentially due to first year being a fazing out year. Be a good student and you will succeed (goes for any med school)

Romania - I've heard skeptical views on romania. Tuition is very low, and probably reflects the type of education you will receive.

I need more perspectives on medical school in europe. I know of a number of Canadian students who studyin the UK, but they simply had a better financial background (parent physicians etc) so they were able to take loans out, and have funding supported to them by family. I simply do not have this option.

What were your means of funding? Will I have to be co-signing a loan from a bank (RBC etc)? Most of these schools apply or Student Aid BC funding, which helps immensely.

Why did you choose your school?

What are your plans for after? My friend is taking his electives at the University of Ottawa, where he will then finish his degree.

What if I want to stay in the EU as a non-eu? What are my options there? Is it very limited, or do I need to learn the native language? surely there has to be a way around it, if I decide to practice in the EU.

How much money in total are you going in debt?

What were your grades in high school? For those that know the BC Educational system, I have a B+ in Math 12, A in Biology 12, A in Chem 11, and an A in physics 11. I do not know if these english schools will look at my first year science marks, as it says only high school diploma needed.

If you guys have ANY other information for me, i would be thankful.

Cheers, any help is greatly appreciated !

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!

Breaking in the first post here. If this is posted in the wrong section, or if a similar post has previously been suggested, please let me know to avoid heavy traffic.

I am a Canadian citizen, I am 23 years old, and I am itching to study medicine. I am currently at university, doing my first year science courses. I have a medical laboratory assistant certificate (essentially working in pathology department, bloodwork, ecg's etc). This has given me exposure as to what a physician does throughout the day. I love it. It is the only thing I think about these days.

Having previously lived in central/eastern europe, I have always wanted to go back and live there. Now, reading about the opportunity to study medicine in central/eastern europe, my eyes are lighting up. But with this option, of course, comes a great deal of stress, jumping through loops, language barriers etc. I am planning on taking off to study medicine in europe potentially next fall (september) if all things to smoothly.

I have a series of questions for those that have done this specific trek. From funding, to getting accepted, to why you chose europe, to why you chose the specific school that you attended. But first things first, these are the countries that i've narrowed my search to:

Poland - There are a plentiful amount of english programs, and from what i've read they are creditable and well respected. Although there are opinions that differ.

Italy - Now here is a grey area. I've read some opposing views on medical school in italy, one of my friends who is studying in Hungary, at the University of Debrecen said to me that he had a physician friend that he met who studied in italy and he wished he went elsewhere in europe. The kicker is, tuition is cheap. Especially having been self funding my life for the previous 2 years, it will be very cheap for me. IMAT test required. I don't see an issue with this as I am doing my first year science courses.
Has anybody/do you know anybody that studied medicine in italy as a non-eu?

Czech Republic - Schools like charles university are highly respectable. With a large number of applicants returning to north america, this seems like a great option. higher tuition rates.

Hungary - Having a friend already there, I have an in on what to expect, life etc.. From what he has told me, it has been a positive experience, and that your class size diminishes exponentially due to first year being a fazing out year. Be a good student and you will succeed (goes for any med school)

Romania - I've heard skeptical views on romania. Tuition is very low, and probably reflects the type of education you will receive.

I need more perspectives on medical school in europe. I know of a number of Canadian students who studyin the UK, but they simply had a better financial background (parent physicians etc) so they were able to take loans out, and have funding supported to them by family. I simply do not have this option.

What were your means of funding? Will I have to be co-signing a loan from a bank (RBC etc)? Most of these schools apply or Student Aid BC funding, which helps immensely.

Why did you choose your school?

What are your plans for after? My friend is taking his electives at the University of Ottawa, where he will then finish his degree.

What if I want to stay in the EU as a non-eu? What are my options there? Is it very limited, or do I need to learn the native language? surely there has to be a way around it, if I decide to practice in the EU.

How much money in total are you going in debt?

What were your grades in high school? For those that know the BC Educational system, I have a B+ in Math 12, A in Biology 12, A in Chem 11, and an A in physics 11. I do not know if these english schools will look at my first year science marks, as it says only high school diploma needed.

If you guys have ANY other information for me, i would be thankful.

Cheers, any help is greatly appreciated !

Hi, I'm a Canadian studying in Poland and I can answer a few of your questions.

There are plenty of English medical programs in Poland and they are accredited and reputable. From what I've seen, they generally fall into two categories: (1) 4-year MD programs for students with undergraduate degrees, and (2) 6-year MD programs that are intended to start after high school.

I am in a 4 year program which is intended to be more geared towards the US with an emphasis on the NBMEs. The biggest thing to consider is that these programs do not "hand hold" your way through the process to residency, so if you plan to go to Canada, the US, or the UK, you need to have a clear timeline of the exams you want to write and when. Although there is an emphasis on US exams (such as the NBMEs, which often count as your final marks in various courses), unlike a Medical School in the US, you are not required to write the USMLE Step 1 in between your second and third year (which is when your pre-clinical courses end, and the clinical rotations begin). They maintain that you have to pass the CBS (like a practice Step 1 that can be purchased for self assessment) which is a basic requirement you should be able to do by that time.

I chose Poznan after a lot of research and traveling. Anywhere you go, you will find people who either got into medicine for the wrong reasons or aren't mature enough to make the most of it, but the opportunity is there if you have your priorities straight. As a Canadian, I find that the US has many more opportunities in health care, so that is where I'm putting in most of my efforts. Because of this, I've been splitting up my electives between them. I've so far completed (or confirmed) electives in Florida, New York, Boston, Manitoba, Western, UofT, and McMaster. I wasn't interested in applying to Ottawa for electives but if that's something you want to do, then you should know that it's one of three institutions that are part of the lottery system (the others are UofT and McMaster), where IMGs have to enter a lottery and if you are selected THEN you can submit an application.

Poland is a beautiful country and I'm really impressed by the standards in general (FOOD!!!!) compared to back home, including the healthcare especially when it comes to the private clinics. There are certainly things I want to complain about but looking back on it, if you don't like the way a course is taught or who you have to work with, you'd better find a way to get over it because it's a silly reason to whine and give up on your career.

I actually have a friend who was studying in Romania. I wasn't personally there but she really did not like it and left after about a year and a half. If I remember, she mentioned it was a 6 year program (?) so that may have had something to do with it. Again, I don't specifically know about the Romanian schools, but from my understanding of the 6 year programs here, they are required to cover the basics since the students are supposed to be coming from high school. Schooling is different in Europe since they choose their majors much earlier on, therefore, that kind of system makes sense but might be a little lost on high school graduates from other parts of the world.... It is also pretty important to have a degree from either Canada or the US. I've heard it's often a factor they consider in accepting you for residency (of course your Step scores etc... are still the most important).

Hi, I'm a Canadian studying in Poland and I can answer a few of your questions.

There are plenty of English medical programs in Poland and they are accredited and reputable. From what I've seen, they generally fall into two categories: (1) 4-year MD programs for students with undergraduate degrees, and (2) 6-year MD programs that are intended to start after high school.

I am in a 4 year program which is intended to be more geared towards the US with an emphasis on the NBMEs. The biggest thing to consider is that these programs do not "hand hold" your way through the process to residency, so if you plan to go to Canada, the US, or the UK, you need to have a clear timeline of the exams you want to write and when. Although there is an emphasis on US exams (such as the NBMEs, which often count as your final marks in various courses), unlike a Medical School in the US, you are not required to write the USMLE Step 1 in between your second and third year (which is when your pre-clinical courses end, and the clinical rotations begin). They maintain that you have to pass the CBS (like a practice Step 1 that can be purchased for self assessment) which is a basic requirement you should be able to do by that time.

I chose Poznan after a lot of research and traveling. Anywhere you go, you will find people who either got into medicine for the wrong reasons or aren't mature enough to make the most of it, but the opportunity is there if you have your priorities straight. As a Canadian, I find that the US has many more opportunities in health care, so that is where I'm putting in most of my efforts. Because of this, I've been splitting up my electives between them. I've so far completed (or confirmed) electives in Florida, New York, Boston, Manitoba, Western, UofT, and McMaster. I wasn't interested in applying to Ottawa for electives but if that's something you want to do, then you should know that it's one of three institutions that are part of the lottery system (the others are UofT and McMaster), where IMGs have to enter a lottery and if you are selected THEN you can submit an application.

Poland is a beautiful country and I'm really impressed by the standards in general (FOOD!!!!) compared to back home, including the healthcare especially when it comes to the private clinics. There are certainly things I want to complain about but looking back on it, if you don't like the way a course is taught or who you have to work with, you'd better find a way to get over it because it's a silly reason to whine and give up on your career.

I actually have a friend who was studying in Romania. I wasn't personally there but she really did not like it and left after about a year and a half. If I remember, she mentioned it was a 6 year program (?) so that may have had something to do with it. Again, I don't specifically know about the Romanian schools, but from my understanding of the 6 year programs here, they are required to cover the basics since the students are supposed to be coming from high school. Schooling is different in Europe since they choose their majors much earlier on, therefore, that kind of system makes sense but might be a little lost on high school graduates from other parts of the world.... It is also pretty important to have a degree from either Canada or the US. I've heard it's often a factor they consider in accepting you for residency (of course your Step scores etc... are still the most important).

Thanks for that. Whatever perspectives I get give me a better idea of Europe. I've lived in Europe, and i've traveled around to these parts of the world, which is why i'm so bent on getting back there. I absolutely loved it.

I am actually going to prepare for the IMAT, and apply to italian schools. I can only choose one italian school, so I am thinking either University of Milan of Pavia University. Both are public schools and tuition is fairly cheap (almost free). The more I hear about Romanian schools, the less incentive they give me to pursue it. All I hear is do not go there; they're unorganized, education is not top tier and you're better off going elsewhere.

So far it is either Italy, Croatia (university of zagreb). But I am a firm believer that I will get into an english medical school in Italy. The IMAT is much like the BMAT, of UKMAT. So, I will study for the next intake.

Have you heard much regarding Italian schools? I'm in touch with a student right now at the University of Milan, Surgery and medicine department. He says the quality of education is high. Hence, the medical school has a top 300 ranking world wide (i'm not sure how accurate). But yeah, hear any positives from Italian schools? Other than italian bureaucracy, i hear it is a feasible option.

Also, more importantly, I hear it is also a possibility to practice/internship/residency in the EU, as a Non EU...? Europe is quite friendly to foreigners. I don't see this a problem but if you can give me your two cents.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for that. Whatever perspectives I get give me a better idea of Europe. I've lived in Europe, and i've traveled around to these parts of the world, which is why i'm so bent on getting back there. I absolutely loved it.

I am actually going to prepare for the IMAT, and apply to italian schools. I can only choose one italian school, so I am thinking either University of Milan of Pavia University. Both are public schools and tuition is fairly cheap (almost free). The more I hear about Romanian schools, the less incentive they give me to pursue it. All I hear is do not go there; they're unorganized, education is not top tier and you're better off going elsewhere.

So far it is either Italy, Croatia (university of zagreb). But I am a firm believer that I will get into an english medical school in Italy. The IMAT is much like the BMAT, of UKMAT. So, I will study for the next intake.

Have you heard much regarding Italian schools? I'm in touch with a student right now at the University of Milan, Surgery and medicine department. He says the quality of education is high. Hence, the medical school has a top 300 ranking world wide (i'm not sure how accurate). But yeah, hear any positives from Italian schools? Other than italian bureaucracy, i hear it is a feasible option.

Also, more importantly, I hear it is also a possibility to practice/internship/residency in the EU, as a Non EU...? Europe is quite friendly to foreigners. I don't see this a problem but if you can give me your two cents.

Cheers!

It sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind for the Italian school and being in contact with someone there should be a good thing. I have done quite a fair bit of traveling including Italy and Croatia. As far as Italian schools, I decided not to pursue them early on in my narrowing down of schools. I know a few Italians here including ERASMUS students (who visit for certain rotations) and a few in the English programs. The ones studying permanently here said that they wanted to study in English with a more North American connection (ie. NBMEs, Step, etc....because standardized exams are a universal way for your education to be understood) and because of the 4 year program specifically since they already completed undergrads in the UK. I don't know how different the IMAT is from the MCAT (which is what you would have to write in Canada or USA and what I wrote for my application) but it would be worth checking if other places in Europe also accept the IMAT in case, since you mentioned that you can only apply to one school in Italy.

As for practicing in the EU as a non-EU citizen, I think it depends on the place. Non-UK citizens who want to practice in the UK require a "right to work" of some kind...and from what my friends have told me... you can have that with an EU citizenship up until Brexit is completed but I don't know the alternative route to get it. The UK does have a sort of 2 year general part of residency before you choose your specialty. In Poland, that is a one year general called the Staz and it is transferable to the UK but both have exams that you need to write. As for all the other countries in Europe... I'm not sure, but it's worth looking into early on. One of the Italians I know went back to Italy for electives and he mentioned that it was a single application system (but this is for electives, not residency) that you could update but I would assume that you need basic Italian language skills to participate in clinical electives there and would give you a good feel for working there.

It's important to consider where exactly you want to end up for residency because doing electives in those places will help your chances. Really, you can't know too much/too early about the process. That being said, I know that people sometimes split their time between places either because of ease of process or availability. For example, some people may spend a year in the UK (doing the general part of their residency) while they participate in the match for Canada for the following year, and once (and IF) they are accepted, they resign from the UK and start their residency in Canada (while still having clinical experience on their resume since a gap year where you do nothing is a major red flag in residency applications). The big disclaimer is that you need to prepare and plan, meaning 1)write the appropriate exams 2)choose your electives carefully 3)meet the deadlines.

I hope it works out for you and good luck on your applications!

It sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind for the Italian school and being in contact with someone there should be a good thing. I have done quite a fair bit of traveling including Italy and Croatia. As far as Italian schools, I decided not to pursue them early on in my narrowing down of schools. I know a few Italians here including ERASMUS students (who visit for certain rotations) and a few in the English programs. The ones studying permanently here said that they wanted to study in English with a more North American connection (ie. NBMEs, Step, etc....because standardized exams are a universal way for your education to be understood) and because of the 4 year program specifically since they already completed undergrads in the UK. I don't know how different the IMAT is from the MCAT (which is what you would have to write in Canada or USA and what I wrote for my application) but it would be worth checking if other places in Europe also accept the IMAT in case, since you mentioned that you can only apply to one school in Italy.

As for practicing in the EU as a non-EU citizen, I think it depends on the place. Non-UK citizens who want to practice in the UK require a "right to work" of some kind...and from what my friends have told me... you can have that with an EU citizenship up until Brexit is completed but I don't know the alternative route to get it. The UK does have a sort of 2 year general part of residency before you choose your specialty. In Poland, that is a one year general called the Staz and it is transferable to the UK but both have exams that you need to write. As for all the other countries in Europe... I'm not sure, but it's worth looking into early on. One of the Italians I know went back to Italy for electives and he mentioned that it was a single application system (but this is for electives, not residency) that you could update but I would assume that you need basic Italian language skills to participate in clinical electives there and would give you a good feel for working there.

It's important to consider where exactly you want to end up for residency because doing electives in those places will help your chances. Really, you can't know too much/too early about the process. That being said, I know that people sometimes split their time between places either because of ease of process or availability. For example, some people may spend a year in the UK (doing the general part of their residency) while they participate in the match for Canada for the following year, and once (and IF) they are accepted, they resign from the UK and start their residency in Canada (while still having clinical experience on their resume since a gap year where you do nothing is a major red flag in residency applications). The big disclaimer is that you need to prepare and plan, meaning 1)write the appropriate exams 2)choose your electives carefully 3)meet the deadlines.

I hope it works out for you and good luck on your applications!

Where do you study currently? Are you an US citizen studying abroad? My ideal golden plan is to remain in the EU. Honestly, if Romania comes knocking my way and I may even decide to end up there. It's up in the air right now.

I am currently working on my Medical Laboratory Assistant Certificate. I have taken the semester (possibly even year) off of Canadian University to really decide where the next 10 years of my life will be. If I go to school in Europe, I plan on staying in Europe. And if I get accepted into Italy, I plan on staying nearby Italy. Although, if Romania/Bulgaria come knocking on my door, I will study there and attempt to make my way Western Europe if all things to rightly.

Do you know much about Bulgaria/Romanian Universities? The only issue is that I am putting all my eggs in one basket trying to get in an Italian Med School. They have such a narrow acceptance rate but I am a firm believer that I am highly capable. The BIG issue, which may defer me from applying elsewhere is the start dates are all completely different. And you hear back at different times if you are accepted. In Italy, it is one filtration system, where you will hear back from the IMAT results sometime in September. Classes start in October. Which is a similar time to what most other schools start around, and they may be asking for a tuition deposit to hold me a seat etc..

Some things I have to sort out!... First I have to clean my dragon, and slay my room..... or wait.... clean my room, slay my dragon..

But yeah, any worthy input on more italian schools? You said you know of friends who are studying where currently? They are completing their electives where you are? (which is?).. I am a firm believer there will be a **** load of italian bureaucracy if I actually decide to practice etc.

I'm in for a long road but honestly, it sounds a lot more appealing than staying in Canada.

Where do you study currently? Are you an US citizen studying abroad? My ideal golden plan is to remain in the EU. Honestly, if Romania comes knocking my way and I may even decide to end up there. It's up in the air right now.

I am currently working on my Medical Laboratory Assistant Certificate. I have taken the semester (possibly even year) off of Canadian University to really decide where the next 10 years of my life will be. If I go to school in Europe, I plan on staying in Europe. And if I get accepted into Italy, I plan on staying nearby Italy. Although, if Romania/Bulgaria come knocking on my door, I will study there and attempt to make my way Western Europe if all things to rightly.

Do you know much about Bulgaria/Romanian Universities? The only issue is that I am putting all my eggs in one basket trying to get in an Italian Med School. They have such a narrow acceptance rate but I am a firm believer that I am highly capable. The BIG issue, which may defer me from applying elsewhere is the start dates are all completely different. And you hear back at different times if you are accepted. In Italy, it is one filtration system, where you will hear back from the IMAT results sometime in September. Classes start in October. Which is a similar time to what most other schools start around, and they may be asking for a tuition deposit to hold me a seat etc..

Some things I have to sort out!... First I have to clean my dragon, and slay my room..... or wait.... clean my room, slay my dragon..

But yeah, any worthy input on more italian schools? You said you know of friends who are studying where currently? They are completing their electives where you are? (which is?).. I am a firm believer there will be a **** load of italian bureaucracy if I actually decide to practice etc.

I'm in for a long road but honestly, it sounds a lot more appealing than staying in Canada.

No...I already said that I'm a Canadian studying in Poland (Poznan University).

I already mentioned my friend that was studying in Romania but left after about a year and a half because she didn't like it.

No, I said that out of the Italian citizens here in the English programs at Poznan University, I know of some that went back to Italy for electives. I also said that there are some ERASMUS students (some from Italy, but some come from other places like Germany) who come to Poland for rotations (NOT electives).

I also mentioned that I ruled out Italy pretty early on when I was choosing my medical school. Honestly, that's a long discussion but it boiled down to places that are internationally recognized with a foreseeable pathway to North America, clinical standards, living standards/work ethic, is it's own stand alone certified medical school with a recognized degree throughout Europe, and that Poznan was the only university that I found even mentioned international standardized exams such as mandatory NBMEs, and included live Kaplan USMLE courses (where the professors fly in from the US). I put a lot of thought and research into the places I applied to (including visiting them). You do what suits you.

Hi, I'm french and in 6th year in Romania.

I choosed to come in Cluj-Napoca, at the Iuliu Hatieganu university, because i knew someone here who was telling only good think about it, and there is a french section.
There is a English section, with a lot of german people but also some of theme came from Canada, and I know someone from Brazil too.

I don't know what i will do at the end of the year, i can go back in france or perhaps in sweden.
But I know that there is some people who prepared to go in the US, some the UK but since the brexit things change a bit for us EU citizen. There is also the posssibility to do the speciality here, I don't really how it work for non EU citizen but you can find information on the university's website. (i can't add a link but it's the UMF cluj napoca )

You have 6years of general medicin, so the frist 3 you do mostly the basics (anatomy, physiology, etc) and starting in 3rd, you have semiology at the hospital, and the last 3years it's another cycle and we are every morning or so in the hospital for 2 to 4hours and then we have lesons (? i'm not sure it's the right word, we are in amphiteatre with a profesor). We have kind of a lot of free time, and we kind use it to study more, or go to the hospital in our free time to see more things, it depends on you. But mostly if you want to be good at something you have to do it by yourself, and go see the doctors and all in your free time, you can see a lot more this way.
At the end of 6th year we have to do a thesis and a end of study exam. After that you decide to do the speciality here or anywhere else. But since i'm french i don't really know how it works for non EU citizen sorry.

I don't know if i was clear enough, and sorry for my english.

Hi, I'm french and in 6th year in Romania.

I choosed to come in Cluj-Napoca, at the Iuliu Hatieganu university, because i knew someone here who was telling only good think about it, and there is a french section.
There is a English section, with a lot of german people but also some of theme came from Canada, and I know someone from Brazil too.

I don't know what i will do at the end of the year, i can go back in france or perhaps in sweden.
But I know that there is some people who prepared to go in the US, some the UK but since the brexit things change a bit for us EU citizen. There is also the posssibility to do the speciality here, I don't really how it work for non EU citizen but you can find information on the university's website. (i can't add a link but it's the UMF cluj napoca )

You have 6years of general medicin, so the frist 3 you do mostly the basics (anatomy, physiology, etc) and starting in 3rd, you have semiology at the hospital, and the last 3years it's another cycle and we are every morning or so in the hospital for 2 to 4hours and then we have lesons (? i'm not sure it's the right word, we are in amphiteatre with a profesor). We have kind of a lot of free time, and we kind use it to study more, or go to the hospital in our free time to see more things, it depends on you. But mostly if you want to be good at something you have to do it by yourself, and go see the doctors and all in your free time, you can see a lot more this way.
At the end of 6th year we have to do a thesis and a end of study exam. After that you decide to do the speciality here or anywhere else. But since i'm french i don't really know how it works for non EU citizen sorry.

I don't know if i was clear enough, and sorry for my english.
How is cluj? It’s on my list for which University I might go to but I have absolutely no data on people who go there and are able to get US residencies afterwards or how the education is