Any med students/premeds with bipolar disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tanny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been battling the illness for 2 years right now. My illness has affected my school performance. I'm retaking my MCAT this summer. My GPA is 3.3. I graduated last May. My parents don't believe I have bp. They say I don't want to study medicine and using this as a cover up. My dad wants me to do nursing and later do medicine as a back plan. He even said I can't do it. I'm not sure whether to do a master or just work in a clinical job. I have no doubt that I want to be a doctor. I'm just wondering how ya'll are coping or managing the illness?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been battling the illness for 2 years right now. My illness has affected my school performance. I'm retaking my MCAT this summer. My GPA is 3.3. I graduated last May. My parents don't believe I have bp. They say I don't want to study medicine and using this as a cover up. My dad wants me to do nursing and later do medicine as a back plan. He even said I can't do it. I'm not sure whether to do a master or just work in a clinical job. I have no doubt that I want to be a doctor. I'm just wondering how ya'll are coping or managing the illness?

I don't have Bi-polar disorder, but I do believe in the human spirit, and I honestly think that anyone can do anything they put their mind to, admittedly it might be harder for you, but nonetheless you can do it.

Call me naive, but it's just the opinion I form after going through life experiences of my own.

Best of luck to you, my fellow pre-med.

Reactions: 1 user

So, are you diagnosed by a physician as having bipolar disorder?

3.3 is not such a bad GPA, a little work can help you a lot. I have read that there is a high incidence of bipolar disorder in physicians but I forget the study. Try searching pubmed and see professional help. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, are you diagnosed by a physician as having bipolar disorder?

3.3 is not such a bad GPA, a little work can help you a lot. I have read that there is a high incidence of bipolar disorder in physicians but I forget the study. Try searching pubmed and see professional help. Good luck.

Yes I was diagnosed

In the interview and/or personal statement you can even turn it into an asset, to an extent. For example, you can say how it made you a more empathetic person who will be able to understand the struggles of patients with such conditions. I'm not saying you should lie if that is not the case, but it's something to consider. Having a unique or unusual story where you overcome challenges makes you stand out in a good way, particularly if you can describe how it will make you a better doctor.

a few questions;
1) have you actually been diagnosed with bipolar?

2) have you ever had very severe manic or psychotic symptoms that necessitated hospitalization?

if your bipolar is severe enogh to have needed hospitalization you need to think hard if medicine will work. the hours and stress significantly exacerbate psych disorders so if you are already poorly controlled reconsider medicine.

another thing to consider is that a medical school doesn't want someone who is unstable so you will prolly get some prying questions about this during an interview if u include it in your PS

ouch. I can't imagine going through medical school with a serious emotional disorder. What exactly has this disease been doing to you? Missing school? Can't study?

It seems as if this would really be difficult for you if that is the case.. Especially with the added school work, stress, and anxiety.

Maybe you're not on the correct cocktail?

a few questions;
1) have you actually been diagnosed with bipolar?

2) have you ever had very severe manic or psychotic symptoms that necessitated hospitalization?

if your bipolar is severe enogh to have needed hospitalization you need to think hard if medicine will work. the hours and stress significantly exacerbate psych disorders so if you are already poorly controlled reconsider medicine.

another thing to consider is that a medical school doesn't want someone who is unstable so you will prolly get some prying questions about this during an interview if u include it in your PS

Yes I was diagnosed. I been hospitalized because I did not have proper treatment. Now Istill don't have because lack of health insurance. I will be seeing a doctor and therapist by this month I will not include this in my PS.

ouch. I can't imagine going through medical school with a serious emotional disorder. What exactly has this disease been doing to you? Missing school? Can't study?

It seems as if this would really be difficult for you if that is the case.. Especially with the added school work, stress, and anxiety.

Maybe you're not on the correct cocktail?

I have a hard time concentrating and lack motivation. I don't take my meds everyday.

To answer your question, yes, I'm sure that there are many med students who have gone through med school with bipolar. The incidence in physicians may be slightly lower than the general population because the process of becoming a physician is so difficult for even emotionally healthy people, but it certainly can be done.

I think that there is a blog online written by a student with bipolar d/o accounting her struggles with the illness. I haven't read it, but you may find it helpful and may also be able to pm her for any advice.

Med school is very difficult, and I would say that if you really want to do this that you find a psychiatrist that you really trust and talk this over with him/her. Make sure that you are healthy before you start this process and make sure that you take care of yourself during med school and throughout your career. Good luck!!

I have a hard time concentrating and lack motivation. I don't take my meds everyday.

You should probably consider the severity of the condition. Clearly you can handle undergrad without controlling it perfectly, though medical school is generally on a different order of magnitude of rigor. Ask your doctor about it honestly. If he says no seeking a second opinion would probably be okay.

Edit: Didn't see Silas post, which says the same thing as I did but better. heh :)

Members don't see this ad :)
In the interview and/or personal statement you can even turn it into an asset, to an extent. For example, you can say how it made you a more empathetic person who will be able to understand the struggles of patients with such conditions. I'm not saying you should lie if that is not the case, but it's something to consider. Having a unique or unusual story where you overcome challenges makes you stand out in a good way, particularly if you can describe how it will make you a better doctor.
I somewhat agree. But, you need to make it PERFECTLY CLEAR that your disorder is controlled. And, as instatewaiter mentioned, I would expect questions about it if used in your personal statement. Being bipolar in itself, isn't a stigmatic disorder, but you don't want to paint "faults" on your application. If I was you, I wouldn't include it unless absolutely necessary to explain some grades. And, for that, I'd save it for secondaries and avoid the personal statement.

I'm not sure that I would even mention the disorder in my personal statement/secondaries. Why? I don't want to give the committee any reason to view my application in such a negative light.

Pick up your grades, control your disorder (you said you don't take your medication), and prove to the committee that you can work at the same level as your peers.

That's what I would do...

I would not write it in your personal statement. I would not put it down on your application unless asked, which I don't think they ask about mental illness (but, I don't remember either). Do not talk about it on your interview unless they ask. I don't see why you should focus on being bipolar. Don't take yourself out, let them take you out. I repeat, don't bring it up unless asked. I don't see why it would even come up at an interview or on your application.

I will not bring it up .

1) Bipolar disorder is overdiagnosed.

2) I find it pretty unlikely that your parents could observe a bona fide manic episode and have any doubts. It is, as you may know, quite striking.

Thus, leading to my question:
Are you being melodramatic about it?

2) I find it pretty unlikely that your parents could observe a bona fide manic episode and have any doubts. It is, as you may know, quite striking.

It's possible to be bipolar without ever having a full manic episode. It's called bipolar II and you have hypomanic episodes that aren't very healthy and do interfere with your functioning but aren't nearly as debilitating as manic episodes. If the OP hasn't lived with his parents since the onset of his bipolar or his parents chalk up the symptoms of the hypomanic episode to other things like being busy with schoolwork and suffering from anxiety and stress (like agitated mood, not sleeping for a few nights, talking too much) it's entirely possible he has bipolar II without his parents knowing.

The last meeting I had with a psychiatrist she wasn't sure whether I was just generally depressed or had bipolar II. I think it was the latter, but at the time I was terrified of the side effects of mood stabilizers so I never followed through and got medicated for it. I can function fine if I keep in mind some basic things:
1) Exercise -- getting my energy out this way helps keep me from feeling too agitated and helps me sleep
2) Sleep -- sleep deprivation can bring on hypomanic episodes. When I was a freshman I noticed that if I pulled one all-nighter it felt addicting and I'd wind up staying up for like 3 days working on homework and cleaning my apartment. Good for the GPA, bad for your health. I can still pull the occasional late night, I just make sure to take a nap or go to bed early the next day and not let the sleep deprivation accumulate.
3) Sunlight -- it makes me happier, and getting some early in the morning can help you sleep at night. It's good for anyone who is depressed too.
4) Nutrition -- I feel sleepy and depressed if I eat too much sugar or empty carbs, and I think too much caffeine can bring on hypomanic symptoms.
5) Alcohol -- unless you're on certain medications, you can probably drink. Just don't drink too much. The recommendations for women are 1-2 a day, slightly higher for men.
6) Social life -- Being around other people keeps me from getting too depressed. But I do tend to party really hard when I go to a party (not just drinking too much, I tend to be the last one awake, to not want to leave and go to sleep) so I can't do that too often.

This isn't medical advice. This is just what works for me combined with what I've learned in my psych classes. Obviously listen to your psychiatrist above everyone, but basic wellness things like exercise, sleep, sunlight, and good nutrition are more important for you if you have a mood disorder than they are for the general population. If I keep a good lifestyle I notice that my disorder only interferes with my grades in the sense that if it comes between sleep and homework, I need to pick sleep. This dilemma can be avoided with good time-management though. I know I'll struggle for the balance sometimes in med school, but I figure if I pick a specialty with a decent residency lifestyle (I'm thinking of psych or EM) and manage my time especially well, it'll only be a major struggle during the worst rotations of med school and residency. Hope that helps somewhat!

He was diagnosed. Are you a physician? You're being a bit rough.

It is very common for people to doubt bipolar disorder (mental illness) in a close relative. You are completely wrong

It's possible to be bipolar without ever having a full manic episode. It's called bipolar II and you have hypomanic episodes that aren't very healthy and do interfere with your functioning but aren't nearly as debilitating as manic episodes. If the OP hasn't lived with his parents since the onset of his bipolar or his parents chalk up the symptoms of the hypomanic episode to other things like being busy with schoolwork and suffering from anxiety and stress (like agitated mood, not sleeping for a few nights, talking too much) it's entirely possible he has bipolar II without his parents knowing.

The last meeting I had with a psychiatrist she wasn't sure whether I was just generally depressed or had bipolar II. I think it was the latter, but at the time I was terrified of the side effects of mood stabilizers so I never followed through and got medicated for it. I can function fine if I keep in mind some basic things:
1) Exercise -- getting my energy out this way helps keep me from feeling too agitated and helps me sleep
2) Sleep -- sleep deprivation can bring on hypomanic episodes. When I was a freshman I noticed that if I pulled one all-nighter it felt addicting and I'd wind up staying up for like 3 days working on homework and cleaning my apartment. Good for the GPA, bad for your health. I can still pull the occasional late night, I just make sure to take a nap or go to bed early the next day and not let the sleep deprivation accumulate.
3) Sunlight -- it makes me happier, and getting some early in the morning can help you sleep at night. It's good for anyone who is depressed too.
4) Nutrition -- I feel sleepy and depressed if I eat too much sugar or empty carbs, and I think too much caffeine can bring on hypomanic symptoms.
5) Alcohol -- unless you're on certain medications, you can probably drink. Just don't drink too much. The recommendations for women are 1-2 a day, slightly higher for men.
6) Social life -- Being around other people keeps me from getting too depressed. But I do tend to party really hard when I go to a party (not just drinking too much, I tend to be the last one awake, to not want to leave and go to sleep) so I can't do that too often.

This isn't medical advice. This is just what works for me combined with what I've learned in my psych classes. Obviously listen to your psychiatrist above everyone, but basic wellness things like exercise, sleep, sunlight, and good nutrition are more important for you if you have a mood disorder than they are for the general population. If I keep a good lifestyle I notice that my disorder only interferes with my grades in the sense that if it comes between sleep and homework, I need to pick sleep. This dilemma can be avoided with good time-management though. I know I'll struggle for the balance sometimes in med school, but I figure if I pick a specialty with a decent residency lifestyle (I'm thinking of psych or EM) and manage my time especially well, it'll only be a major struggle during the worst rotations of med school and residency. Hope that helps somewhat!

These things help me but it hard to be consistent when I'm depressed. Yeah I have change my lifestyle. I don't drink alcohol. It does get addictive to stay up every night. Thanks for the advice. I just want to know how med students and premeds are managing this illness and doing well.

Studying for the MCAT has been a problem.

Last edited:

Okay, so your avatar says "pre-medical" not "psychiatrist" so maybe you should keep opinions like the ones that you just said to yourself until you get enough training to actually know what you're talking about. Whether or not she is bipolar is not for us to judge-- that is between her, her psychiatrist, and if she wants, her family.

What the OP does seem to be saying is that she has some psychiatric issues that are interfering with her life, particularly her academic career and she is wondering if she there are others out there who she can identify with. The answer is going to be yes. There probably aren't that many that are going to be open to sharing since there is stigma, but there are definitely people who have been in her situation, who are in her situation, and who are going to be in her situation.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what label or diagnosis you put on a patient, a disease, a problem is what it is. It doesn't really matter whether or not they meet the DSM-IV criteria for bipolar I, bipolar II, or if they don't meet any of the criteria. Pain is pain and you have to empathize with it and treat it because that's what you go into medicine to do.

Studying for the MCAT has been a problem.
Don't feel bad, OP. The MCAT is a problem for most premeds. This won't help if you've already scheduled for it, but if haven't then plan on a large study block, like 6 months or more. It will help when you have a minor setback and can stay on track.

If u're medically diagnosed, y won't ur parents believe you?

Besides, don't think about what your parents said. Where there's a will, there's a way.

You can still become a doctor.

Look into DO schools and PA schools if you do not want to be a Nurse and feel like MD will require too much work.

Good luck, fellow Pre-Med.
Vick

Don't feel bad, OP. The MCAT is a problem for most premeds. This won't help if you've already scheduled for it, but if haven't then plan on a large study block, like 6 months or more. It will help when you have a minor setback and can stay on track.

May 22 seats are filled up and I wanted to register on that date. I feel like I wasted a lot of time. I study well some days but then I stop for a couple of days. This occurs when I'm depressed. The MCAT is problem because of my health.

If u're medically diagnosed, y won't ur parents believe you?

Besides, don't think about what your parents said. Where there's a will, there's a way.

You can still become a doctor.

Look into DO schools and PA schools if you do not want to be a Nurse and feel like MD will require too much work.

Good luck, fellow Pre-Med.
Vick

I want to become a doctor.