Any Med Students Transfer To MD From DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Led Zep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious and would like to speak to someone who has made this transition?

I would like to know how and why as well as whether or not it made a difference to them?

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious and would like to speak to someone who has made this transition?

I would like to know how and why as well as whether or not it made a difference to them?

Thank you for your help!
PEOPLE, there is a search function:mad:. btw, why the hell would you want to post this, you know its gonna cause problems. this has been beaten to feath from previous threads. inb4mdvsdo flame war.

The hell would you even ask this question? If you wanted to do DO you should apply to a DO school. If you want to do MD apply MD. If you want to be a doctor apply to BOTH. Transferring between MD schools is damn near impossible I would think that to be even more true transferring between two different types of schools. Stupid ... just straight stupid...

Someone should merge this into the "answer your stupid question" thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
The OP's question seemed pretty reasonable. I'm glad to see how much hate he got though lololololololololol

My former classmate did end up dropping out of an MD program (Kentucky iirc) and ended up at MSU.

IBhearsay

I think the environment and being married were her main issues.

This is like Tiger Woods abandoning Erin Nordegrin

The hell would you even ask this question? If you wanted to do DO you should apply to a DO school. If you want to do MD apply MD. If you want to be a doctor apply to BOTH. Transferring between MD schools is damn near impossible I would think that to be even more true transferring between two different types of schools. Stupid ... just straight stupid...

Someone should merge this into the "answer your stupid question" thread.

THIS is an immature response, I meant nothing by my post, except to talk to someone who made this change. Yea there is a search function I use it all the time but that's not suiting my need here.

If you don't like my post YOU DON'T HAVE TO COMMENT ON IT OR EVEN READ IT!!! Way to promote hate in the world...

if you can provide a valid reason, such as 'i'm being forced to move to a place with no osteopathic school nearby, but i really wanna stay with medicine' with a reasonable reason for being forced, maybe
if you wanna do it because MD is more prestigious i foresee some difficulties

which should be common sense

If you don't like his video then don't watc----- oh, sorry, i thought this was youtube, from all the haters in this thread.

:lame:

Honestly, if this thread is going to elicit immature responses, I'd rather a moderator delete it, this is supposed to be a public forum and a community to learn and contact helpful peers....

THIS is an immature response, I meant nothing by my post, except to talk to someone who made this change. Yea there is a search function I use it all the time but that's not suiting my need here.

If you don't like my post YOU DON'T HAVE TO COMMENT ON IT OR EVEN READ IT!!! Way to promote hate in the world...

Immature? Nah. There are legitimate questions out there and then there's your kinda of question. It's stupid, there's no way getting around it. Sorry if I hurt your feelings but if something like this bothers you you might not want to step out into the real world. It's scary out there...

shut-up-hippie-nixon.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Must admit, dumb question + thread.

Apply to where you will fit and/or be competitive.

I'm sure its happened. I've met people that have done the opposite.

PEOPLE, there is a search function:mad:. btw, why the hell would you want to post this, you know its gonna cause problems. this has been beaten to feath from previous threads. inb4mdvsdo flame war.

Actually, this is the first thread I've seen in a long long time asking about transfer from MD to DO. Usually it's "Can I transfer from a DO to MD?"

I'm usually quick to lay down the beatdown, but c'mon guys go easy on him. He's just a premed who wants to do MD but is scared that he won't get in and am looking at his options.

To OP: Does it happen? I'm sure. Is it easy? Most likely not. If you want to be a doctor and get into only DO schools, then just bite the bullet and go. Be proud of the fact that you'll be a doctor, no matter what initials are after your name.

No, it's extremely unlikely. First off, you can't transfer in med school until third year and then, it's only if people have dropped out of the school you want to go to AND if you have a valid reason (a dying loved one, a spouse being transferred, etc). If you start DO school, plan on completing DO school.

I'm sure its happened. I've met people that have done the opposite.

You've known people who've transferred from MD to DO? How is that possible without OMM?

You've known people who've transferred from MD to DO? How is that possible without OMM?

Na, DO to MD. I must have read the thread title wrong... could have sworn it said just the opposite a day or two ago :laugh:. My brain is failing me. We've had kaplan all weekend :thumbdown:

Na, DO to MD. I must have read the thread title wrong... could have sworn it said just the opposite a day or two ago :laugh:. My brain is failing me. We've had kaplan all weekend :thumbdown:

Nice, I'm not the only one who read the title wrong.

OP: Search for "Transfer from DO to MD"

I found a ton of threads. The few I perused are very similar to this one (some people are helpful, some enjoy being jerks)...and it looks like it's possible under special circumstances but not just because someone feels like transferring from DO to MD. You might want to check out the following thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=521131

This one mentions a book that you might find interesting that appears to chart how various med schools handle transfer students:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-25158.html

Hope that helps.