Any medical related summer job for undergraduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

citylights25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I have just finished my freshman year of college and I am currently looking for a medical related job that I can do over the summer. I've been researching around my area for jobs at hospitals, however they all seem to require a degree or prior experience. Do you guys know if there are any medical related jobs that do not require a degree or previous experience and something I can just work for over the summer? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been scribing for the past 4 months. Great, invaluable experience, gets you clinical hours, basically paid shadowing. Pay is low (I recommend scribing part time and working somewhere more lucrative part time as well, that's what I'm currently doing). ScribeAmerica is basically always hiring, and they're located in many states. The turnover rate is fairly high so they are always accepting applications.

I opted for this instead of the CNA and EMT route simply due to financial reasons, but I hear those two are great jobs as well.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about scribing.

I did research most of my undergrad summers. Except the one I just screwed around during (maybe don't do that).

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been scribing for the past 4 months. Great, invaluable experience, gets you clinical hours, basically paid shadowing. Pay is low (I recommend scribing part time and working somewhere more lucrative part time as well, that's what I'm currently doing). ScribeAmerica is basically always hiring, and they're located in many states. The turnover rate is fairly high so they are always accepting applications.

I opted for this instead of the CNA and EMT route simply due to financial reasons, but I hear those two are great jobs as well.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about scribing.
Does ScribeAmerica allow summer only time frames? I remember reading somewhere that most scribe companies often have 1 or 2 year requirements. Do you know if this is also the case for CNA or EMT jobs?

Does ScribeAmerica allow summer only time frames? I remember reading somewhere that most scribe companies often have 1 or 2 year requirements. Do you know if this is also the case for CNA or EMT jobs?

During the hiring process, they explicitly say that you have to commit to 1 year of full-time employment, or 2 years of part-time. However, they know most of the student-employees have aspirations for graduate schools, so they are really open and friendly to the application process. For example, they give you as much time off as you need for interviews, travel, etc. I was originally hired on the premise that I would work a year and a half part-time until matriculation. While they seem extremely stingy and strict, they bend a lot in many ways.

But I have never heard of them allowing summer time only periods. I have heard classmates of mine who worked fewer hours during the school semester, than the summer with ScribeAmerica, though.

As for CNA and EMT, I am not sure about those. But I suspect all of these prefer year long employment.

-Scribing
-Research
-Hospital Volunteering
-Other healthcare volunteering
-Something totally not related to medicine but still enriching or helpful (either to you or to others)

All of these and probably a lot more are valid options for people wanting to go to medical school. As long as you do something, you'll be in good shape! The ones I listed (specifically the first three) are generally the most common.

-Scribing
-Research

-Hospital Volunteering
-Other healthcare volunteering
-Something totally not related to medicine but still enriching or helpful (either to you or to others)

All of these and probably a lot more are valid options for people wanting to go to medical school. As long as you do something, you'll be in good shape! The ones I listed (specifically the first three) are generally the most common.

I second this. But place emphasis on the first two in bold.
Both clinical/direct patient-care volunteering and clinical/direct patient-care paid employment. You can't find better than that!

You can be a mediCal assistant. Great pay, shadowing, clinical, letters of rec, not as much of a time commitment, no previous experience required

Research and scribing are both great options.

You could also be a medical assistant, although you need to find positions that dont require a certification. A good place to look is chiropractors offices and urgent care facilities.

Another thing to consider is being a camp counselor. I was a camp counselor for a few summers at a camp for kids with mild developmental delays (like dyslexia, ADHD, etc) and it was a great time. Really rewarding, and turned out that it was clinical experience.

Question about scribing for you guys. I'm in the process of being employed and I am looking at some of the training material. There is a butt load of material to know it seems. Did you guys struggle starting your scribing jobs?

I want to do it as well as I can obviously because I don't want to waste physicians' time and have them get pissed off.

Any advice?

Question about scribing for you guys. I'm in the process of being employed and I am looking at some of the training material. There is a butt load of material to know it seems. Did you guys struggle starting your scribing jobs?

I want to do it as well as I can obviously because I don't want to waste physicians' time and have them get pissed off.

Any advice?

Don't fret, you won't use all that material most likely, and 99% of the learning is on the job. Is it ScribeAmerica? PM me for more details.

Don't fret, you won't use all that material most likely, and 99% of the learning is on the job. Is it ScribeAmerica? PM me for more details.

No its a competitor though. Ill pm you in a bit

Research and scribing are both great options.

You could also be a medical assistant, although you need to find positions that dont require a certification. A good place to look is chiropractors offices and urgent care facilities.

Another thing to consider is being a camp counselor. I was a camp counselor for a few summers at a camp for kids with mild developmental delays (like dyslexia, ADHD, etc) and it was a great time. Really rewarding, and turned out that it was clinical experience.

How did you twist this to be clinical? I have been a camp counselor for few summers myself (Down Syndrome, autism,etc) and just wondering how I can write it without trying too hard to claim it as clinical.

How did you twist this to be clinical? I have been a camp counselor for few summers myself (Down Syndrome, autism,etc) and just wondering how I can write it without trying too hard to claim it as clinical.

pretty sure its not a clinical experience. But you can feasibly put down anything in any category at will

I just chose the "clinical experience" option from the drop down menu on amcas...

But actually it was a camp designed to remediate developmental delays, so the kids were patients and it was organized and administered by people who were mostly doctors (although PhDs not MDs).

You can be a mediCal assistant. Great pay, shadowing, clinical, letters of rec, not as much of a time commitment, no previous experience required

Don't you need a license or something? All the listings I've seen have required experience and a license

Don't you need a license or something? All the listings I've seen have required experience and a license

Actually not for all medical assisting jobs. It's just that the ones they advertise almost always do. I had a friend who printed up some copies of her resume and just went around to urgent care places and chiropractors offices and handed them out. She was able to get jobs at a couple places that way. You won't be doing much more than the most basic of triaging that way though.

My understanding is that it's not a legal requirement but rather a method of screening applicants