OCPreMed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
I searched for this, so pardon me if there is already a thread in regards to this.

I am wondering how life is for a medstudent at Loma Linda? What do you think of the facilities, the teaching, the environment in general. How is the religous aspect? The no caffeine, meat, etc...

Loma Linda is one of my top choices for medical school for several reasons, 1 being that I observe the Sabbath, but I am not a Seventh Day adventist... Unless by definition any Christian that observes the Sabbath is SDA. I don't know...

Sorry if this post is random, disorganized and lazy... its the Sabbath right now, I am trying not to work too hard... :p

LuckyBambooGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
Status
OCPreMed said:
I searched for this, so pardon me if there is already a thread in regards to this.

I am wondering how life is for a medstudent at Loma Linda? What do you think of the facilities, the teaching, the environment in general. How is the religous aspect? The no caffeine, meat, etc...

Loma Linda is one of my top choices for medical school for several reasons, 1 being that I observe the Sabbath, but I am not a Seventh Day adventist... Unless by definition any Christian that observes the Sabbath is SDA. I don't know...

Sorry if this post is random, disorganized and lazy... its the Sabbath right now, I am trying not to work too hard... :p

Are you Seventh Day Baptist? I'm just asking because I used to be....Sorry I don't know anything about Loma Linda!!

OP
OCPreMed

OCPreMed

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2006
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
LuckyBambooGirl said:
Are you Seventh Day Baptist? I'm just asking because I used to be....Sorry I don't know anything about Loma Linda!!

haha no worries! I am not SDA Baptist. I attend United Church of God. www.ucg.org if anyone is interested.... but yeah im still eager to hear from anyone... OR if anyone was accepted there and decided not to go..

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OCPreMed said:
haha no worries! I am not SDA Baptist. I attend United Church of God. www.ucg.org if anyone is interested.... but yeah im still eager to hear from anyone... OR if anyone was accepted there and decided not to go..
I don't go there, but I am from the area and know a lot about the school and hospital. It is a good school. The hospital is most famous for its cardiology department, as well as for having been the first place in the world to implement proton therapy (to treat certain cancers).

You're required to go to chapel once per week (I want to say it's on Wednesdays). You won't find meat or caffeine on the campus --- although people staying in the hospital have the option of meat for their meals.

The downside (at least for a non-SDA student) is that the entire city of Loma Linda basically shuts down for the weekend at sundown on Friday.

joe6102

by the power of grayskull
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
socal
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OCPreMed said:

I'm a student there, and there is a lot misunderstood about loma linda. Basically, it can be as religious or secular as you want it to be. For instance:

There is a weekly chapel service on Wednesdays that is required your first 2 years (you can skip something like 6 each year). You can actively participate, or you can sit in the back and study the whole time. It is up to you.

There are religion classes which you can laugh at or really get a lot out of. Some people call them a joke, because nobody has ever failed and they are not factored into class rank. But there are some brilliant professors who are more than happy to talk with you about anything that is going on.

There are a few places on campus that have caffeine. It will take some searching, but it is there. There is not meat anywhere except in the meals they give to patients. Everything does shut down Friday afternoon, but that includes class. MS1 and MS2 are usually done at 11:00 on Friday. Some people go to the beach, some go to happy hour, and some study so that they will be free on the Sabbath.

There are also plenty of religious student organizations, mission trips, etc. Basically, if you want Christianity/Adventism in your life, you can have as much as you want, but it is not really forced upon you if it's not your thing.