any military service??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know how admissions comm.view people with prior service? I'm a reservist currently attached to a ground combat element (infantry) with the Marine Corps and I'm a DOC (hospital corpsman) for my Devil Dogs. I'll be a junior in the fall here at FAMU and taking the MCAT in APR. Looking for some insight on what I'm up against other than the obvious.

Members don't see this ad.

I am prior military and filling out AMCAS sucks for us...we have to submit AARTS (Army), I think the Navy has some other form. Just make sure that you know about this..and then it gets even more complicated.

AARTS was a cakewalk for me. If your really having a problem with it PM me and I'll relay my experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
...I'm currently waitlisted @ 2 school's, may not get in this round, (but I Know what to do to improve my package), and have already resubmitted AMCAS. IMHO any military service gives you something unique to talk about in your essays, interviews, etc. Especially if you deployed/did something (Most Marines and their DOCS do), like humanitarian relief, etc. Your healthcare experience is a plus, don't forget it is years of Volunteer Service, and your service will set you apart from most applicants. Apply early as possible.:D

I applied for the Class of 2007 & never had to submit an AARTS for the AMCAS........is this something new?

From my experience, every school I interviewed at was extremely interested in my experience in the military & reacted very positively........

Good luck, USMC'Doc'...................

Thanks for the great advice and good luck to you and MLG. On my way to Ga. for live tank fire drills for the next 17 days. What a way to spend my summer break.

OOOORAH !!!!!!

I guess it is a new thing but even last year you had to submit AARTS. My friend did not and he was put on hold until AMCAS received AARTS....

What is aarts? I was on active duty for 6 years and now I am in the reserves. When I applied, I did not have to fill out an aarts. On another note, I believe that my military experience played a huge role with me getting into medical school. Most people love the military. Before they even know who you are, they have already made some assumptions: disciplined, can-do attitude, etc... . My second interviewer was ex-military and served in the Green Berets as a general surgeon. We talked for about an hour, most of which concentrated on military stories. After the interview, he said that he would write me a "glowing recommendation." Must have worked! Good luck and make sure you highlight your military experience.

AARTS is a "military type transcript" for the Army that lists all military schools attended and if the recommend any ACE credits or whatever. AMCAS now requires this transcript along with all other undergrad/grad transcripts wether some of your military schools transfered or not to any of your schools. It is easy to get, you can even go online and see yours....

If a transcript is not available from a military school or program directly,

Army/ACE Registry System-U.S. Army active duty enlisted personnel and veterans may obtain an Army/ACE Registry System (AARTS) transcript providing they entered the service on or after October 1, 1981.

Sailor/Marine Corps Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART)-All active duty and reserve Sailors and Marines (enlisted and officer) and those who separated or retired from active duty on or after October 1, 1999 are eligible. Transcripts for separated or retired Navy personnel who left the service from 1976 to October 1999 are also eligible and should have a transcript available at the SMART web site; personnel who fall into this category that cannot access their transcripts can have one created. Call the Navy College Center at 1-877-253-7122.

General Information
As with other types of coursework, the first step in determining how to list military credit is to establish whether a transcript is available.

Active duty and reserve personnel should contact the education office at their current duty station. In most cases, the education office can assist with obtaining available records for all military coursework.

The next option is to contact individual schools directly. It is generally faster to obtain transcripts from the individual programs directly than trying to obtain information from the central records office.

If a transcript is not available from a military school or program directly, U.S. Army active duty enlisted personnel and veterans may obtain an Army/ACE Registry System (AARTS) transcript providing they entered the service on or after October 1, 1981. The transcript documents courses, MOS/s held, proficiency test scores, and college-level standardized test results as well as course descriptions and ACE credit recommendations. These transcripts may be obtained by writing to: AARTS Operations Center; 415 McPherson Avenue; Ft. Leavenworth, KS 66027-1373.

Note: This is the only transcript available for courses completed at the Academy of Health Sciences, Ft. Sam Houston, TX.

Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) experience should not be listed on the Academic Record unless credit has been accepted in transfer by a U.S. or Canadian institution.

One official transcript is required from each U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution at which you have attempted course work, regardless of whether credit was earned. This includes but is not limited to:

College-level courses attempted while in high school, even if they were not counted toward a degree by any college.

Colleges at which you originally attempted a course, even if transfer credit was subsequently accepted by another school.

Colleges where you registered but did not earn any credit (e.g., incompletes, withdrawals, failures, audits, etc.).

Courses which did not count toward a degree, regardless of whether credit was earned or transferred.

Extension programs through which you attempted courses if a separate transcript is provided by the Extension Division.

Correspondence and home study programs.

Military education.

American schools overseas.

U.S., U.S. Territorial and Canadian medical schools.

Note also that some universities issue separate transcripts for undergraduate and graduate course work.

Please be certain to request an English language transcript from the registrar whenever possible.

After having read through all the responses......Maybe the AARTS is for enlisted service members?? I was an officer in the Army & neither the schools nor AMCAS requested transcripts from military education..........

I do not think so unless the military schools attended by officers have their own transcripts. If you put down in the AMCAS application or your school gave you some credit for military service you have to submit an AARTS or SMART. I know this for a fact.

This comes verbatim from AMCAS...

One official transcript is required from each U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution at which you have attempted course work, regardless of whether credit was earned. This includes but is not limited to:

military education

And:

Army/ACE Registry System-U.S. Army active duty enlisted personnel and veterans may obtain an Army/ACE Registry System (AARTS) transcript providing they entered the service on or after October 1, 1981.

Sailor/Marine Corps Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART)-All active duty and reserve Sailors and Marines (enlisted and officer) and those who separated or retired from active duty on or after October 1, 1999 are eligible. Transcripts for separated or retired Navy personnel who left the service from 1976 to October 1999 are also eligible and should have a transcript available at the SMART web site; personnel who fall into this category that cannot access their transcripts can have one created. Call the Navy College Center at 1-877-253-7122.

Well,

At the risk of being bashed for being ignorant, I didn't use an AARTS & I used multiple military references & used several military experiences on my AMCAS application & no one (schools/AAMC) asked me for it & I was offered interviews at over 15 schools and accepted by all interviews that I attended so I'm not sure what level of importance schools place on the AARTS unless you are using that credit toward a degree.

My 2 cents

I was enlisted in the Marine Corps and completed several correspondence courses from the Marine Corps Institute (MCI), but never had to submit an AARTS to AMCAS or to AACOMAS, for that matter. In fact, this is the first I am hearing of the AARTS. Perhaps it is only required for college leve courses.
Anyway, good luck to all!

Well it depends on when you applied and who reviewed your application, as we know AMCAS sucks. Depending on who is doing verification anything could happen. Last year a friend of mine prior Army SF did NOT submit AARTS and his application was put on hold. No, AARTS does not necessarily mean that your military courses were transferred to any school because his schools did not transfer to his undergrad. Like I previously said even for **** like basic training and AIT I had to submit it. I really do not care if you believe me or not, but if you read the above posts I copied and pasted that out of the AMCAS application for this year...