This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted922750

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm active duty Army with 13 years TIS. I applied to all the Texas schools because that is where I am from, as well as USUHS, ETSU, and CUSOM. GPA 3.7, sGPA 3.8, MCAT 497 and 506. I was also a late applicant, with my primary being verified in September.

I had 3 interviews in Texas, USUHS, ETSU, and CUSOM. I got placed on the alternate list at USUHS and rejected post interview at CUSOM. I got my Texas acceptance before my ETSU interview, so I declined to interview there.

The only extra curricular I added outside of a bunch of stuff I have done in the army is my hobby of working on cars.

Reactions: 1 users
Zero volunteer hours. I was able to explain that I was working 7-6 and school 6-10 with a wife and 2 kids, so I had zero free time in my life.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. So I was actuve duty for 5 years in an infantry MOS. I was a TCCC and CLS instructor too, did contracting in Afghanistan as a Medical Response Team Commander.

ECs: Worked with adults with cognitive disabilities full time. Couple years of research in genetics (no publications but a few presentations), TA in anatomy and cadaver dissection for PA students, and I currently work with homeless vets for a nonprofit.

Stats: 3.93 from a super tiny private catholic school no one has ever heard of. MCAT 509.

Applied: I applied to 10 schools. Ended up getting interviews to all of them. Attended 4 interviews due to an early acceptance. Got ouright accepted to all 4 including Mayo and Pitt.

As a side note, the reason @Goro tagged me is because I love to help other vets through the process, I went in pretty blind, had some great luck and crazy success. Not sayin I'm the bees knees but just went through the process and would be willing to help other vets with anything from PS statement reviews, advice, schools the are vet friendly, and honestly anything else. If any vets want, feel free to inbox me.

Reactions: 13 users
My acceptance list included Case Western, Vermont, Miami, USUHS, UTHCSA, Pitt, and Einstein. Keep in mind that this was from my second application cycle. During my first cycle I had applied to 15 schools (which were a bit too top heavy) and got interviews to Georgetown and Dartmouth, but no acceptances. Second cycle I applied to 35 schools with a broader range. I had a decent MCAT score but relatively poor GPA and think schools may have been variable on what to do with me. Thought it was interesting that some higher-ranked schools accepted me while many low-ranked schools wouldn't even give me the time of day.
My major EC, besides some other work experience, was volunteering for Team Rubicon which mostly involved a two week trip to Nepal to help out after the earthquake.

Reactions: 2 users
I was active and then in the guard for a few years trying to raise my GPA. Came from an infantry background with a few deployments. My GPA was terrible but during my 2 years in the guard I also went to school and maintained a 4.0 for both years. When averaged with my college GPA the total was an impressive 2.9. I did fairly well on the MCAT (36) and thus was actually able to get a few acceptances. I came from Texas which helped, but was accepted to several TX schools as well as USUHS.

EC activities included some research I had published as an undergrad, eagle scout. Also included my leadership experience as a fire team leader and later squad leader. Started school when I turned 30.

Was an active duty Marine.
School: dual degree for bachelors ending with cGPA 3.84 and sGPA 3.7 (I think.. this was years ago though). Was part of the honors program.
Volunteer: around 3000 volunteer hours of mixed clinical/non-clinical and completed both in US and abroad.
Experience: EMT for 3 years at time of application, worked in an ER in a city as a tech, and later as a tech in trauma in a city. Total about 2k hours.
ECs: actively performing musician, a lot of travel, started a veterans organization on my campus, was on sports team in college.
Research: one 1st author pub + additional bench/lab research experience.

Last edited:
Hello there! I was an active duty Navy Corpsman for 5 years.

Texas resident, undergrad sGPA 3.87, MCAT 508.

I worked about 30 hours a week as a surgical tech while going to school full time for the 3 years following my separation from AD.

EC's included intramural sports, playing fetch with my dog. I had ~75 non-clinical volunteer hours and a similar amount of primary care shadowing. ~10,000 hours of direct patient care. Lot's of random awards and leadership roles while on AD. No research hours.

I applied to 9 Texas MD schools and USUHS. I interviewed at 5, accepted to 3, 1 Texas WL, WL from USUHS then medical DQ.

In the end I'm going to my dream school (location matters a huge amount for a married man with 2 young children), but I wish I had discovered SDN earlier in my pre-med time. Lots of great advice and guidance here from people like @Goro

Good luck to you!

Reactions: 4 users
12+ years AD plus a few reserve now. Infantry / SOF, non-medical. 511 MCAT (2016), low cumulative GPA. I volunteered a few hours per week at my local hospital for a couple of years. Applied quite broadly when I really didn't need to, in the end. Accepted USUHS, UNC, ETSU, EVMS, NJMS.

There are quite a few of us on here. I don't know where you're coming from, but if any of that strikes a cord then hit me up and we can chat further. Good luck!

Froggy

I did 8 years active duty Air Force (non-medical) and 4 in the Air National Guard while I was going to school. I applied to maybe 28 schools, II from three, accepted by two (both my state schools). 3.61 cGPA/3.69 sGPA, 506 MCAT. I deployed three times while I was AD, I had a bunch of volunteer hours as an EMT from before I joined the military, and I worked as an EMT for a year while I was in school. I also did the Harvard REU program, and my PI hired me on part time to work throughout the school year, but no publications yet.

If you’re still doing your undergrad, I absolutely recommend applying to the Harvard REU program for next summer; great opportunity for research and they’re actively seeking out Veterans.

A couple TX schools, a few DO schools, my state schools, USUHS, Dartmouth, Colorado. All with a dumpster fire of an MCAT.

Lessons learned: Apply wherever you want. Don't apply to places you don't want. Finally, make sure you write good. lol

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
7 years active army, 12A, service academy grad. 3.3/506 (Pretty low). Texas resident so applied to all Texas schools, about 11 other MD, and 6 DO schools. Ended up with 10 interview invites, turned a few down, and overall only had one interview where I was not accepted. (From what I have seen on SDN, Vets tend to do well if they get to the interview)

Make sure to apply to ETSU, its on a VA campus and they treat Vets as instate residents or admission purposes, and they are an extremely welcoming admissions staff.

Reactions: 3 users
These posts give me a lot of hope as a low-mid stats Texas resident who is a vet. It is too late now to change my personal statements and most of the secondaries, but how did you frame your service? It clearly made an impact on multiple people having successful cycles with less than perfect stats.

These posts give me a lot of hope as a low-mid stats Texas resident who is a vet. It is too late now to change my personal statements and most of the secondaries, but how did you frame your service? It clearly made an impact on multiple people having successful cycles with less than perfect stats.
that dean of admissions at TT-el paso is a retired army doc I think. The dean of admissions at UTMB (in a podcast i listened to) stressed that they seek applicants with demonstrated success in small group/team environments and that military service is a great indicator of that.

I described how my service changed me as a person and introduced me to medicine. I outlined the hardships I endured while being deployed and starting college again, trying to be a husband and father while being active duty and completing prereqs, and the positive changes I was able to make in other people's lives since being on this path.

that dean of admissions at TT-el paso is a retired army doc I think. The dean of admissions at UTMB (in a podcast i listened to) stressed that they seek applicants with demonstrated success in small group/team environments and that military service is a great indicator of that.

I interviewed at TT-El Paso and the Dean is a prior Colonel. He didn't openly mention it, but I saw his picture in his Class A's at William Beaumont.

7 years active army, 12A, service academy grad. 3.3/506 (Pretty low). Texas resident so applied to all Texas schools, about 11 other MD, and 6 DO schools. Ended up with 10 interview invites, turned a few down, and overall only had one interview where I was not accepted. (From what I have seen on SDN, Vets tend to do well if they get to the interview)

Make sure to apply to ETSU, its on a VA campus and they treat Vets as instate residents or admission purposes, and they are an extremely welcoming admissions staff.
East Tennessee ? Just to clarify I am in the same boat.

I did 4 years in the AF, 1 tour to the middle east, one tour to South America. I had a very average GPA and a very Average MCAT, applied to 17 schools, got interview invites at 7, attended 5, and received 3 acceptances.

The military had a big hand in framing why I wanted to pursue medicine, especially since I was more of a technician/operator and like working with my hands and fixing thigs. A lot of the secondaries asking about leadership experiences, working in teams, and overcoming obstacles/receiving criticism were times I could draw on my military experiene. I, like others, felt that getting an interview was going to be the rate limiting factor in getting an acceptance as I feel veterans in general interview well.

What got me thinking about medicine is when I was deployed to Taji, Iraq I had extreme gas pain that I had never experienced before (I'm talking want to cry, can't sleep, have to sit up because feels like I'm dying when I lay back pain). I went to sick call, and a full bird colonel Cardiologist, named Brooks with the national guard of like minnesota/Wisconsin/ something up there was the doctor. He taught me a lot of stuff and got me interested in medicine. Like he discovered I had a heart murmur and told me it was nothing to worry about.

Weird story but true.

Anybody here retired and then accepted? I mean anyone who did a full 20 and is in my situation. Any pointers for a old guy who will be starting at 42? I'm 3 years out from my 20 active duty (23 total with guard time). GI bill went to the kids who are in school. Used TA for my undergrad a century ago so now I'm paying out of pocket to do my science prerequisites.

Hey everyone. So I was actuve duty for 5 years in an infantry MOS. I was a TCCC and CLS instructor too, did contracting in Afghanistan as a Medical Response Team Commander.

ECs: Worked with adults with cognitive disabilities full time. Couple years of research in genetics (no publications but a few presentations), TA in anatomy and cadaver dissection for PA students, and I currently work with homeless vets for a nonprofit.

Stats: 3.93 from a super tiny private catholic school no one has ever heard of. MCAT 509.

Applied: I applied to 10 schools. Ended up getting interviews to all of them. Attended 4 interviews due to an early acceptance. Got ouright accepted to all 4 including Mayo and Pitt.

As a side note, the reason @Goro tagged me is because I love to help other vets through the process, I went in pretty blind, had some great luck and crazy success. Not sayin I'm the bees knees but just went through the process and would be willing to help other vets with anything from PS statement reviews, advice, schools the are vet friendly, and honestly anything else. If any vets want, feel free to inbox me.

Well Semper Fi! I am a former 0302 that just started 3d year. PM me if there is anyway I can be of help.

Me too, best of luck, brother.

Anybody here retired and then accepted? I mean anyone who did a full 20 and is in my situation. Any pointers for a old guy who will be starting at 42? I'm 3 years out from my 20 active duty (23 total with guard time). GI bill went to the kids who are in school. Used TA for my undergrad a century ago so now I'm paying out of pocket to do my science prerequisites.

He wasn’t military, but I know a cardiologist who started med school at 40. He finished his training at 50, which still left him easily 15 years of attending time. I’m younger than you, but not by much. I think being older is advantage in class, as you will take it more seriously and be more mature (hopefully). You just have to be mature enough to take on the student role. That’s hard for some military folks, especially the ones who have been in while.

East Tennessee?

Random question for those that applied and used GI Bill: I know that it pays in-state tuition rates for state schools, but does that give you in-state preference? I am pretty lucky being a TX resident but want to keep more options open.

Also it's awesome and inspiring to see others who have completed this journey. I got out with med school being my number 1 goal and it can be overwhelming!

Thanks!

I am definitely applying to ETSU , but what other schools did you apply to and got invites from (besides TX) ? Did you feel like Any of them were military friendly as well ?

Great info here. Following

Random question for those that applied and used GI Bill: I know that it pays in-state tuition rates for state schools, but does that give you in-state preference? I am pretty lucky being a TX resident but want to keep more options open.

Also it's awesome and inspiring to see others who have completed this journey. I got out with med school being my number 1 goal and it can be overwhelming!

Thanks!

No. You have to indicate your state of residence on AMCAS and this is what the schools use. There are only a few exceptions (ETSU and maybe the state you’re in if you’re still active).

No. You have to indicate your state of residence on AMCAS and this is what the schools use. There are only a few exceptions (ETSU and maybe the state you’re in if you’re still active).

ETSU can only give you in-state tuition if you are within a certain time frame after ETS'ing. I think it is 18 months, but I can't find the exact number atm. The do, however, grant your application the same preference as an in-state applicant regardless of how long you have been off AD. They will also waive the secondary fee if you provide a copy of your DD214. They seem very vet friendly and the admissions staff I have spoken with thus far have been very encouraging about applying if you are a veteran.

ETSU can only give you in-state tuition if you are within a certain time frame after ETS'ing. I think it is 18 months, but I can't find the exact number atm. The do, however, grant your application the same preference as an in-state applicant regardless of how long you have been off AD. They will also waive the secondary fee if you provide a copy of your DD214. They seem very vet friendly and the admissions staff I have spoken with thus far have been very encouraging about applying if you are a veteran.
I know that UMD does it - I talked to them on the phone . You do not get preference during admission, but once admitted as a veteran within 3 years from ETS you get in state tuition if you move to Maryland (like , you get paperwork proving that you moved , show to them , and they change your tuition rate immediately).
UNC said they “think they do it “- person on the phone didn’t sound to sure ( also only after admission , and only for tuition ). I think Michigan also said that ... and .. was it Connecticut or Vermont - one of them .

West Virginia DID NOT . Basically there were a few schools who did ! But so far only ETSU I saw to give you PREFERENCE during admission

UNC gives no admission preference as far as I know, but in-state tuition is available to GI Bill users. Non-GI Bill users can get in-state tuition for years 2-4 if they "move" here to NC (driver's license, voter registration, etc).

68W, 6 Years Active Army + 4 in the Guard while I went to school at Penn State. Posted up a 3.93 and 519 MCAT. Extracurriculars: ODS National Veterans Frat, IFC, UPUA (student council), PSU Veterans Organization, Sign Language Club, Project Healthcare (NYU EM program--highly, highly recommend if you can tolerate NYC for a summer) and a ton of research with a couple of publications.

Applied to 18 as a PA resident, got into 4 (Columbia, Sinai, Penn State, Drexel) getting shot down by almost every state school I applied to except PSU. Actually had done rotations at Harbor View (UW's hospital) back in the day and they told me flat-out that I had no chance as an out-of-state applicant that wasn't part of an interest group (which is weird because most schools count Vets but I guess they don't).

Applied to 18 as a PA resident, got into 4 (Columbia, Sinai, Penn State, Drexel) getting shot down by almost every state school I applied to except PSU. Actually had done rotations at Harbor View (UW's hospital) back in the day and they told me flat-out that I had no chance as an out-of-state applicant that wasn't part of an interest group (which is weird because most schools count Vets but I guess they don't).

This is interesting. I had the exact opposite of experience. I got into 5 schools, all of them public, only one of them in my state (and truth be told, the school I really wanted to get in to). I wonder how these things happen.

This is interesting. I had the exact opposite of experience. I got into 5 schools, all of them public, only one of them in my state (and truth be told, the school I really wanted to get in to). I wonder how these things happen.
+1 lots of luck with publics

Another random question: did anyone use prior CoC for LOR's?

I used two CoC. I also did two science instructors, one non-science from grad school, and the head of the department where i did shadowing.

68W, 6 Years Active Army + 4 in the Guard while I went to school at Penn State. Posted up a 3.93 and 519 MCAT. Extracurriculars: ODS National Veterans Frat, IFC, UPUA (student council), PSU Veterans Organization, Sign Language Club, Project Healthcare (NYU EM program--highly, highly recommend if you can tolerate NYC for a summer) and a ton of research with a couple of publications.

Also a PA resident. How many of the PA schools did you apply to? Did you apply to TCMC/Geisinger?

Also a PA resident. How many of the PA schools did you apply to? Did you apply to TCMC/Geisinger?

I didn't apply to TCMC (tried to stay more urban because of interest in EM) but I did Drexel, Temple, PSU, Pitt, Jefferson

I heard from an HPSP recruiter that the pendulum swung back this cycle with a lot of schools cutting down on non-traditional students after years of inflating those numbers. Apparently, another prior service guy and I were the last ones in his pool to receive interviews (I was hearing back from places in October when a lot of other kids were getting offers from OSU and MD in August). Granted this is a sample size of a 12-18 applicants but I'd be interested if other people in the '22 class saw something similar.

This forum is MONEY!

Bravo everyone! This will certainly be a motivational/informational thread I go to from here on out.

besides ETSU any other schools give preference to the military? I know a few ask in your application if you are military, so I am assuming they factor it in and U of Iowa and GW wave your secondary fee if you are military

my stats are weird ... MCAT 513 ... cGPA 3.05 sGPA 3.49 with a DIY post bacc of 3.80 applying very broadly 36 secondary completed so far

12 years active duty Air Force

besides ETSU any other schools give preference to the military? I know a few ask in your application if you are military, so I am assuming they factor it in and U of Iowa and GW wave your secondary fee if you are military

I was accepted OOS to U of A Phoenix. 3.3ish gpa. I’ll help any vet with their secondary to this school.

Does anyone have any information on Georgia med schools with vet admissions? My wife and I are planning to transfer undergrad institutes to Georgia State (Atlanta), and we have been discussing which medical school we both could be admitted too. I think Morehouse may be the best. Her childhood consisted of living in an underprivileged community, along with both of us volunteering in underprivileged communities.

FYI: We are both Caucasian. Not sure if Morehouse is like Mercer or Meharry with the racial discrimination...

Does anyone have any information on Georgia med schools with vet admissions? My wife and I are planning to transfer undergrad institutes to Georgia State (Atlanta), and we have been discussing which medical school we both could be admitted too. I think Morehouse may be the best. Her childhood consisted of living in an underprivileged community, along with both of us volunteering in underprivileged communities.

FYI: We are both Caucasian. Not sure if Morehouse is like Mercer or Meharry with the racial discrimination...

Landing two admissions to the same school ANYWHERE would be incredibly difficult.

Landing two admissions to the same school ANYWHERE would be incredibly difficult.
I agree. I was looking through the forum about couples and basically the ones that were successful seemed to apply to demographics that held a lot of medical schools in the area (i.e. Chicago, NY, Philly, etc). I was just checking if anyone here has done it, or has any other info on it. If not, my game plan stays to apply to many medical schools, especially in close proximity.

Maybe you guys should consider area that has several schools (as an addition to your list ). For example , DC has 3, and Baltimore is close enough , which is 2 more . This would statistically improve your changes . I am not saying you should go to DC, I am just making example

got my first II this week from Tulane. hoping plenty of other II to follow

Status
Not open for further replies.