This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
got my first II this week from Tulane. hoping plenty of other II to follow
I still have nothing .... this is so discouraging

Members don't see this ad.

I still have nothing .... this is so discouraging

They will come, it is still early. Then after you get 1, you'll be happy, then discouraged again that you only have one. Then you'll get a second and third and experience a brief moment of happiness. Then you will realize that you still don't have an II from HMS or Stanford, even though you didn't even apply to those schools, and you will be both sad, and confused at why you are sad you don't have II's to schools that you didn't even apply to.

They will come, just be patient and have confidence in your application.

Reactions: 4 users
so true. the excitement of my first II has worn off already and now I am back to neurotically waiting for other II and seeing if anybody that was complete before me has gotten one yet

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They will come, it is still early. Then after you get 1, you'll be happy, then discouraged again that you only have one. Then you'll get a second and third and experience a brief moment of happiness. Then you will realize that you still don't have an II from HMS or Stanford, even though you didn't even apply to those schools, and you will be both sad, and confused at why you are sad you don't have II's to schools that you didn't even apply to.

How much this post applies to me earlier in the cycle is unsettling haha.

Hey brother, how did you get the branch logo under your pic?

It's a member verification. I had to provide a .mil address that they send a one-time email to that you respond to, and then your account gets upgraded. I can't find the page for it anymore though. Not sure if they still do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Slightly less than 8 years in the air reserve, worked on medical equipment.

I had plenty of volunteer hours, EC's, shadowing. 3.4 GPA and 30 MCAT (lol you people with your 500's...what even is that?!?!?!).

Applied all DO, got into three schools, two of which were in my top 3 and rejected from my number one pic...so the number two became number one I guess? Idk...either way im a 4th year now about 6 months from being able to claim the title doctor (holy **** that's scary).

Also being prior service helps you if you're HPSP because it gives you extra "points" for the residency match.

Reactions: 3 users

i am looking back at your post now, - you were SO RIGHT. this is exactly how i feel . hahahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, definitely don't think I still have access to my mil account..
Too much of a hassle lol.

Yeah, definitely don't think I still have access to my mil account..
Too much of a hassle lol.

Yeah I’m glad I did it before I left my last command because I don’t have a .mil address anymore. I’m attached to the SOM at USUHS and have a .edu address.

The thing I've always wondered is, the upgrade is only supposed to be while you are are active duty but I think very few people actually remain on active duty for the duration of the time they have their military accounts on SDN. I do think SDN was started by a former military doc if I remember correctly though, so maybe the idea is just that if you get in while on active duty you keep it.

The thing I've always wondered is, the upgrade is only supposed to be while you are are active duty but I think very few people actually remain on active duty for the duration of the time they have their military accounts on SDN. I do think SDN was started by a former military doc if I remember correctly though, so maybe the idea is just that if you get in while on active duty you keep it.

Mine was added after I already got out and without anymore access to my .mil email. So veterans can get it too. It USED to be only for currently serving in a medical field (i.e. Corpsman, Medic, Navy/Army/AF Doc). They used to not even have one for Marines at all, for instance, but here I am! lol

Mine was added after I already got out and without anymore access to my .mil email. So veterans can get it too. It USED to be only for currently serving in a medical field (i.e. Corpsman, Medic, Navy/Army/AF Doc). They used to not even have one for Marines at all, for instance, but here I am! lol

Did you just email them or? I looked at it and it basically said you needed to use your .mil address and I haven't had that in forever.

He’s currently Army. He just did an interview on the premed years podcast. Good stuff.

Zero volunteer hours. I was able to explain that I was working 7-6 and school 6-10 with a wife and 2 kids, so I had zero free time in my life.
wow this is awesome to hear

@MarineMDHopeful @Marine2MD @marine_MD

Hey guys,

This might not be the most appropriate thread for my question, so feel free to chew me out. I'm looking for some honest, no holds barred feedback on my plan.

I got out of the Marine Corps 2 years ago today. I am a pre-med student at Fordham University, 33 years old with 2 children (10 mos and 3 yrs), a wife (attorney), and we just bought a home this year. It would be really tough on my family to move them again so soon after we are finally settled. I am also in Voc Rehab, not working. We need the BAH to keep coming all the way through to residency (no gap year) to make this as painless as possible. As such, I am applying only to all NY medical schools with an emphasis on Albert Einstein due to its proximity to my home and BAH amount. With that said, here's the plan:

The Plan
General: Take the MCAT June 28, 2019, applications 100% complete by July 30 upon release of MCAT score, finish out undergrad Spring 2020 and hopefully start medical school Fall 2020 (no gap year).

Spring 2019: I will take Orgo II w/Lab (6 credits only) and study hard for the MCAT. Devote 5 hours a week to volunteer at a hospital until I begin medical school. Devote 5 hrs a week doing research for maybe 2 months. I will also shadow 3 different doctors for 15-20 hrs each, a pediatrician, a general practitioner, and an orthopedic surgeon (these are lined up).

Summer 2019: I take 1 summer intensive Biochemistry course. The day after the course is over, I take the MCAT on June 28. By this time, I will have taken Bio I and II, Chem I and II, Orgo I and II, Physics I (Not Physics II), Biochemistry, Calculus. Statistics, and a bunch of other non-science courses.

Summer 2019-Spring 2020: Finish out my BS in Biology

My Stats
3.70 sGPA, 3.83 overall GPA. Hopefully I can pull science GPA up a bit with the rest of my undergrad courses.

My Background, in chronological order:
Worked as an Electrician for 5 years
Served as Machine Gunner for 2 years
Served as Special Operations Marine (Raider) for 6 years. Lots of leadership, planning, some medical training, some real-world medical experience, etc.
Worked as an Account Director for a Medical Communications Agency for 10 months

Thank in advance.

Hey guys,

This might not be the most appropriate thread for my question, so feel free to chew me out. I'm looking for some honest, no holds barred feedback on my plan.

I got out of the Marine Corps 2 years ago today. I am a pre-med student at Fordham University, 33 years old with 2 children (10 mos and 3 yrs), a wife (attorney), and we just bought a home this year. It would be really tough on my family to move them again so soon after we are finally settled. I am also in Voc Rehab, not working. We need the BAH to keep coming all the way through to residency (no gap year) to make this as painless as possible. As such, I am applying only to all NY medical schools with an emphasis on Albert Einstein due to its proximity to my home and BAH amount. With that said, here's the plan:

The Plan
General: Take the MCAT June 28, 2019, applications 100% complete by July 30 upon release of MCAT score, finish out undergrad Spring 2020 and hopefully start medical school Fall 2020 (no gap year).

Spring 2019: I will take Orgo II w/Lab (6 credits only) and study hard for the MCAT. Devote 5 hours a week to volunteer at a hospital until I begin medical school. Devote 5 hrs a week doing research for maybe 2 months. I will also shadow 3 different doctors for 15-20 hrs each, a pediatrician, a general practitioner, and an orthopedic surgeon (these are lined up).

Summer 2019: I take 1 summer intensive Biochemistry course. The day after the course is over, I take the MCAT on June 28. By this time, I will have taken Bio I and II, Chem I and II, Orgo I and II, Physics I (Not Physics II), Biochemistry, Calculus. Statistics, and a bunch of other non-science courses.

My Stats
3.70 sGPA, 3.83 overall GPA. Hopefully I can pull science GPA up a bit with the rest of my undergrad courses.

Served as Special Operations Marine (Raider) for 6 years. Lots of leadership, planning, some medical training, some real-world medical experience, etc.

Thank in advance.

If you want your application to be early, you need to have your primary ready by July, and filling out applications and secondaries literally is a full-time job. Does your IRP indicate physician as the goal? If so, and you fail to gain entrance on your first pass, you will be considered rehabilitated and dropped from the program. This means you need to ensure you get in somewhere on your first pass. At this point, all you are missing is a median mcat (509+) and you will for sure get several DO acceptances and likely a few MD's as well (though it might mean moving). With that said, you just need to make sure you are allowing yourself enough time to prepare for the MCAT. If it were me, I would drop the research and probably the hospital stuff (or at least cut that number way down). As a vet, no one is going to question your drive for selfless service. I would then use that time to self study for the mcat and/or make sure you pull straight A's. If you do, then you will have an extremely strong application IMHO.

Hey guys,

The Plan

My Stats

Thank in advance.

Couple questions/comments:
- Are you approved with Voc Rehab to also attend medical school? It's not automatic, and a lot of people are declined. You'd also need an extension, which is additional work on the counselor. Start talking to your counselor now if this is already done.

- NY is a huge state - and you say you're applying to ALL NY schools - some of which are likely further away from where you even are now compared to a few other out-of-state schools. I understand your concern with moving family especially after having just bought a home, but also consider how much of a risk it is by limiting how many schools you 'dont' apply to.-------- for instance. If you're not successful for any reason the first time through, you result with an unwanted gap year, may have to move anyway when you expand your app the following year, and think about the income you'd potentially be losing. By lost income, I look at it from the tail end, so if you plan to hypothetically retire at lets say 65 - that gives you either 29 years or 30 years of practice, and in that final year - how much could you potentially be making that you'd now be losing out on by delaying your start? That's just how I look at it.

- Don't apply to just NY schools - at the very least, apply to the surrounding states so it wouldn't be a far move if needed - NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT.

- If you do apply elsewhere, and/or get accepted to a NY or OOS school that requires you move, you could possibly rent out the house for a few years and let someone else basically pay for it for you while you rent elsewhere, or even buy a 2nd home that can also be later rented out to other med students/residents down the line.

- Getting into med school is hard enough for anyone - moral of post - don't limit yourself to just NY at risk of not getting in - you can also choose a NY school close by if/when you get accepted, but possibly moving to prevent a gap year should be considered.

-Also not sure what you want to do later, but also apply to both MD and DO. I'm a Marine vet just the same with a few deployments under my belt after 2 enlistments, and I'm in a DO program. I had the same stats that you currently have when I graduated, almost exactly. It's just more options. Especially if VRE approves med school - then they usually pay for apps, so a few extra schools and the AACOMAS on top of AMCAS won't hurt.

If you want your application to be early, you need to have your primary ready by July, and filling out applications and secondaries literally is a full-time job. Does your IRP indicate physician as the goal? If so, and you fail to gain entrance on your first pass, you will be considered rehabilitated and dropped from the program. This means you need to ensure you get in somewhere on your first pass. At this point, all you are missing is a median mcat (509+) and you will for sure get several DO acceptances and likely a few MD's as well (though it might mean moving). With that said, you just need to make sure you are allowing yourself enough time to prepare for the MCAT. If it were me, I would drop the research and probably the hospital stuff (or at least cut that number way down). As a vet, no one is going to question your drive for selfless service. I would then use that time to self study for the mcat and/or make sure you pull straight A's. If you do, then you will have an extremely strong application IMHO.

So IWRP states: 1st goal is to obtain Bachelor's in Biology/Pre-Med, 2nd Goal is Kaplan MCAT Prep Course, 3rd Goal is "This plan should include medical school upon receipt of a successful MCAT score." Not a guarantee, so I am prepared for a fight upon receipt of a rejection letter.

I plan to have my primary complete by February. Currently running down LORs and writing experiences/bio, and working with my pre health committee.

Thanks for the tip regarding volunteer and research.

Couple questions/comments:
- Are you approved with Voc Rehab to also attend medical school? It's not automatic, and a lot of people are declined. You'd also need an extension, which is additional work on the counselor. Start talking to your counselor now if this is already done.

- NY is a huge state - and you say you're applying to ALL NY schools - some of which are likely further away from where you even are now compared to a few other out-of-state schools. I understand your concern with moving family especially after having just bought a home, but also consider how much of a risk it is by limiting how many schools you 'dont' apply to.-------- for instance. If you're not successful for any reason the first time through, you result with an unwanted gap year, may have to move anyway when you expand your app the following year, and think about the income you'd potentially be losing. By lost income, I look at it from the tail end, so if you plan to hypothetically retire at lets say 65 - that gives you either 29 years or 30 years of practice, and in that final year - how much could you potentially be making that you'd now be losing out on by delaying your start? That's just how I look at it.

- Don't apply to just NY schools - at the very least, apply to the surrounding states so it wouldn't be a far move if needed - NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT.

- If you do apply elsewhere, and/or get accepted to a NY or OOS school that requires you move, you could possibly rent out the house for a few years and let someone else basically pay for it for you while you rent elsewhere, or even buy a 2nd home that can also be later rented out to other med students/residents down the line.

- Getting into med school is hard enough for anyone - moral of post - don't limit yourself to just NY at risk of not getting in - you can also choose a NY school close by if/when you get accepted, but possibly moving to prevent a gap year should be considered.

-Also not sure what you want to do later, but also apply to both MD and DO. I'm a Marine vet just the same with a few deployments under my belt after 2 enlistments, and I'm in a DO program. I had the same stats that you currently have when I graduated, almost exactly. It's just more options. Especially if VRE approves med school - then they usually pay for apps, so a few extra schools and the AACOMAS on top of AMCAS won't hurt.

My VRC has said that it's not a 100% guarantee that medical school will get approved. I am waiting for a denial before I start making some noise and escalating. In the meantime, I'll have some GI Bill to tap into for about a year.

I'll definitely branch out to more schools. I have heard though, and I could be wrong, that VRE won't pay for an OOS school, that you would have to transfer offices which might throw a wrench in medical school approval.

Thanks for bringing rent to my attention too, sometimes it's hard to see the obvious when your sprinting.

Also, consider the timing of your MCAT and studying with you taking a summer intensive biochem with the MCAT the day after that ends. Don't be burnt out or tired when you take it.

That's a good point, and something to consider. I've read and been told a few times that the MCAT is biochem heavy. I can't take biochem while taking Orgo II at my university, so I would either take the MCAT without Biochem under my belt, or push the MCAT later. I'm just not sure how late is too late. I also have to take a Summer Session II course to finish out my degree on time, so I have to factor a few things in. My plan is to see how I do on a FL, and make a decision in a month or so.

Last edited:
If you go to a different state to go to school, you will almost surely transfer offices. That can be a good or bad thing, I've seen it go both ways. As far as paying for OOS, what they can't do is pay for a private school if the same program is offered at public school (and you are accepted to both) and if the cost exceeds 25k, you need to get the VRO's approval, regardless of if it is IS or OOS.

The specific rules that every VRC must adhere to is as follows:

a. Program Costs Program costs include but are not limited to: tuition, books, fees, supplies, equipment, and special services and assistance that VA pays established costs to an approved vendor.

Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC) The VRC can approve rehabilitation plans with an annual cost of up to $25,000

The VR&E Officer may approve the following:
Rehabilitation plans with an annual cost of $25,000 to $75,000.

The RO Director may approve the following:
Rehabilitation plans with an annual cost of $75,000 to $100,000.

This applies to all schools that are VA approved.

So IWRP states: 1st goal is to obtain Bachelor's in Biology/Pre-Med, 2nd Goal is Kaplan MCAT Prep Course, 3rd Goal is "This plan should include medical school upon receipt of a successful MCAT score." Not a guarantee, so I am prepared for a fight upon receipt of a rejection letter.

I plan to have my primary complete by February. Currently running down LORs and writing experiences/bio, and working with my pre health committee.

Thanks for the tip regarding volunteer and research.

My VRC has said that it's not a 100% guarantee that medical school will get approved. I am waiting for a denial before I start making some noise and escalating. In the meantime, I'll have some GI Bill to tap into for about a year.

I'll definitely branch out to more schools. I have heard though, and I could be wrong, that VRE won't pay for an OOS school, that you would have to transfer offices which might throw a wrench in medical school approval.

Thanks for bringing rent to my attention too, sometimes it's hard to see the obvious when your sprinting.

That's a good point, and something to consider. I've read and been told a few times that the MCAT is biochem heavy. I can't take biochem while taking Orgo II at my university, so I would either take the MCAT without Biochem under my belt, or push the MCAT later. I'm just not sure how late is too late. I also have to take a Summer Session II course to finish out my degree on time, so I have to factor a few things in. My plan is to see how I do on a FL, and make a decision in a month or so.

What do you mean you’ll have GI Bill left? Just so you know, anything you use if Voc rehab takes away from GI Bill. GI bill is 36 months and Voc rehab is 48 months. If you go back to GI, you don’t get what you had left when you changed - you get what remains based off of not only previous GI usage, but also Voc rehab usage. There is a small buffer built in due to the extra 12 months, but that’s it - essentially the first 12 months of Voc rehab are specific to it.

Also. I attended a private medical school out of state on Voc rehab.

The cost determines who needs to approve it (the counselor, the supervisor, the regional office, etc). However, if you are accepted to multiple - you’ll likely have to go to the cheapest available unless cost is really close (ie 34k and 38k or something) - then you just have a convo with counselor about that.

Last edited:
If you go to a different state to go to school, you will almost surely transfer offices. That can be a good or bad thing, I've seen it go both ways. As far as paying for OOS, what they can't do is pay for a private school if the same program is offered at public school (and you are accepted to both) and if the cost exceeds 25k, you need to get the VRO's approval, regardless of if it is IS or OOS.

The specific rules that every VRC must adhere to is as follows:

Interesting...I have been attending undergrad and the annual is well above 25K. I do know my counselor assessed me to have an SEH. I wonder if that impacts approval levels.

What do you mean you’ll have GI Bill left? Just so you know, anything you use if Voc rehab takes away from GI Bill. GI bill is 36 months and Voc rehab is 48 months. If you go back to GI, you don’t get what you had left when you changed - you get what remains based off of not only previous GI usage, but also Voc rehab usage. There is a small buffer built in due to the extra 12 months, but that’s it - essentially the first 12 months of Voc rehab are specific to it.

Also. I attended a private medical school out of state on Voc rehab.

The cost determines who needs to approve it (the counselor, the supervisor, the regional office, etc). However, if you are accepted to multiple - you’ll likely have to go to the cheapest available unless cost is really close (ie 34k and 38k or something) - then you just have a convo with counselor about that.

I will have used around 24 months of combined GI Bill/VRE by the time medical school starts, so about a year of benefits left for GI Bill. Good to know on cost. I think I have pretty compelling reasons to go to a closer school concerning travel time and given my disabilities, but I'll be ready for another fight if needed.

Interesting...I have been attending undergrad and the annual is well above 25K. I do know my counselor assessed me to have an SEH. I wonder if that impacts approval levels.

I will have used around 24 months of combined GI Bill/VRE by the time medical school starts, so about a year of benefits left for GI Bill. Good to know on cost. I think I have pretty compelling reasons to go to a closer school concerning travel time and given my disabilities, but I'll be ready for another fight if needed.

If you still have 24 months remaining of the original 48 when Med school starts and an SEH, you’re in a great spot - almostnthe same spot as me. I had 21 remaining and was approved and had an extension, in which just started in my extension period.

If you still have 24 months remaining of the original 48 when Med school starts and an SEH, you’re in a great spot - almostnthe same spot as me. I had 21 remaining and was approved and had an extension, in which just started in my extension period.

Awesome, thanks for the sanity check on all this. So after considering what you said about the distance of other schools outside of NY, this is my list. The only far ones I am really considering are Rochester and Buffalo because my wife has a network up there, so she would be much more inclined to stamp approved. There are really only 2 schools that are ideal - Albert Einstein (1st Pick), and NY Medical College (2nd Pick).

This list is based on a 3.83 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA, and a 510 MCAT. I included a lot of Far Reach because I don't know how I'll do on the MCAT but I test well, I believe I can pick up my GPA, and I think my background makes me stand out as a unique candidate (hopefully I'm not overestimating this). Hopefully, those factors shift the list in my favor, taking schools out of Far Reach and putting more into Reach/Target.

Far Reach:

Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Weill Cornell Medical College
New York University School of Medicine
Yale School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine

Reach:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine

Target

SUNY - Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Stony Brook University School of Medicine
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
SUNY - Upstate Medical University
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
SUNY - Buffalo Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences

Undershoot

New York Medical College
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
The Commonwealth Medical College

Far Undershoot

Albany Medical College
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

You're solid for MD, especially with your background, but you don't have an MCAT yet and admissions is weird. Especially if voc rehab is going to foot the application bill (sometimes they do, sometimes not), then I'd add RowanSOM, PCOM, and NYIT to the list. DO schools are extremely non-trad and military friendly, and it just increases your chances at getting in without a gap. Then choose from whatever schools you gain an acceptance.

All these stories are so motivating and inspirational. I am applying this year. Taking the MCAT late May (I know a little late), but only want to take it once.
Will any of you share your Personal Statement with me? You can message me and I sent you my email. I will not share it with anyone, but I will like to have an idea of what accepted military vets PS look like.
Keep killing!!! #RLTW

All these stories are so motivating and inspirational. I am applying this year. Taking the MCAT late May (I know a little late), but only want to take it once.
Will any of you share your Personal Statement with me? You can message me and I sent you my email. I will not share it with anyone, but I will like to have an idea of what accepted military vets PS look like.
Keep killing!!! #RLTW

Just FYI, taking your MCAT in May isn't late.

Keep killing!!! #RLTW

What are you doing to study for your MCAT?

I think it would be best to start on your personal statement and ask if anyone would wanna take a look. You'll likely start long and edit it down to a page. I say this because you don't want to write what worked for other people, you wanna write what works for you.

What are you doing to study for your MCAT?

I think it would be best to start on your personal statement and ask if anyone would wanna take a look. You'll likely start long and edit it down to a page. I say this because you don't want to write what worked for other people, you wanna write what works for you.

Ok it make sense. I’ll do that as well. Currently day 4 of 144 of NextStep online course and adding Kaplan books (extra). Doing 7 hours a day with a 1 hour break in between. Finishing the day going to the gym so I can fall asleep (my brain never stops).

In the morning working on the AMCAS and ACCOMAS app, and will start working with my school’s (I just graduated) writing lab for my PS and essays.

A couple TX schools, a few DO schools, my state schools, USUHS, Dartmouth, Colorado. All with a dumpster fire of an MCAT.

Lessons learned: Apply wherever you want. Don't apply to places you don't want. Finally, make sure you write good. lol

Can you share your MCAT and GPA STATS? Dartmouth would be a dream!

Ok it make sense. I’ll do that as well. Currently day 4 of 144 of NextStep online course and adding Kaplan books (extra). Doing 7 hours a day with a 1 hour break in between. Finishing the day going to the gym so I can fall asleep (my brain never stops).

In the morning working on the AMCAS and ACCOMAS app, and will start working with my school’s (I just graduated) writing lab for my PS and essays.

I did Kaplan for my MCAT and largely found it unhelpful. The bio answer biochem books were good, but that was about it. Their tests are also way different than the real deal.

Get UWorld. Trust me. I found the NextStep FLs to be a lot closer to the real deal than Kaplan.

I did Kaplan for my MCAT and largely found it unhelpful. The bio answer biochem books were good, but that was about it. Their tests are also way different than the real deal.

Get UWorld. Trust me. I found the NextStep FLs to be a lot closer to the real deal than Kaplan.

Yes. I only have the Kaplan books for extra homework if I have time. I am using NextStep and AMCAS material for the prep.
Khan academy if I need to review a concept. I do above average in CARS so I just doing 1-3 passages a day.

Yes. I only have the Kaplan books for extra homework if I have time. I am using NextStep and AMCAS material for the prep.
Khan academy if I need to review a concept. I do above average in CARS so I just doing 1-3 passages a day.

Don’t skimp on CARS. I got 131s on all my FLs so I barely did any CARS work, and then the real CARS section was hard AF and I got a 129.

And get uworld. It’s worth the money.

I've been reading this post.. Now i can finally post.
So, me:

FIrst degree - Finance, and second - Master's in Healthcare (before the Army) . THird - after the Army, - BS in Biochemistry (graduating this May)

4 MCAT attempts: 496, 498, 502, 511 (only the last one was after completion of all the prerequisites - i took it one month after finishing biochemistry, so admissions office advised me to attach a letter explaining that. Basically i took my first 3 tests very prematurely, and i WAS asked about it on EVERY interview).
GPA - 3.65 both.
Clinical hours - several thousands (i was a psyche medic in the Army - behavioral health technician. And i work in addiction treatment facility now)
VOlunteering - only 37 hours.
Research - 500 hours (one summer in a pathology lab in NIH)
Learning assistant - 3 semesters: one in math class, 2 in general chemistry class.

I had 6 IIs, 5 interviews (cancelled my last one): went to ETSU, EVMS, Drexel, WVU and Vermont (in that order). Was put on hold in ETSU, waitlisted in EVMS. Waitlisted in WVU. I was still waiting for Drexel and Vermont decisions, so last SUNDAY i was sitting there and thinking, - either i interview REALLY bad, or it is my MCAT. it was SO depressing...

THis monday Drexel turned into acceptance. On TUESDAY ETSU accepted me off the hold. Today I got response from Vermont - accepted to Connecticut campus. Still on waitlist in EVMS and WVU (my top two choices).

So during the interviews people did not ask me a lot about military service per se, but they asked me a lot about my experience overall. "you have such an unusual experience.... tell me about the time you.....". I am older - 32. And i thought that my age and life experience, and military were a DISADVANTAGE. guys, now i understand : it is NOT!!! i also met so many veterans applying to medical schools, and i realize now - we have a very difference set of experiences, that are very unique, and if you can showcase it, and use it to your advantage, in a way you are uniquely qualified.

Good luck, everyone. Please PM me if you have any questions! we are all in this together

Reactions: 3 users
oh, btw, Virginia resident, but applied to 35 schools up and down the east coast, - as low as NC and as high as VT. And went west as far as MCW

I've been reading this post.. Now i can finally post.
So, me:

FIrst degree - Finance, and second - Master's in Healthcare (before the Army) . THird - after the Army, - BS in Biochemistry (graduating this May)

4 MCAT attempts: 496, 498, 502, 511 (only the last one was after completion of all the prerequisites - i took it one month after finishing biochemistry, so admissions office advised me to attach a letter explaining that. Basically i took my first 3 tests very prematurely, and i WAS asked about it on EVERY interview).
GPA - 3.65 both.
Clinical hours - several thousands (i was a psyche medic in the Army - behavioral health technician. And i work in addiction treatment facility now)
VOlunteering - only 37 hours.
Research - 500 hours (one summer in a pathology lab in NIH)
Learning assistant - 3 semesters: one in math class, 2 in general chemistry class.

I had 6 IIs, 5 interviews (cancelled my last one): went to ETSU, EVMS, Drexel, WVU and Vermont (in that order). Was put on hold in ETSU, waitlisted in EVMS. Waitlisted in WVU. I was still waiting for Drexel and Vermont decisions, so last SUNDAY i was sitting there and thinking, - either i interview REALLY bad, or it is my MCAT. it was SO depressing...

THis monday Drexel turned into acceptance. On TUESDAY ETSU accepted me off the hold. Today I got response from Vermont - accepted to Connecticut campus. Still on waitlist in EVMS and WVU (my top two choices).

So during the interviews people did not ask me a lot about military service per se, but they asked me a lot about my experience overall. "you have such an unusual experience.... tell me about the time you.....". I am older - 32. And i thought that my age and life experience, and military were a DISADVANTAGE. guys, now i understand : it is NOT!!! i also met so many veterans applying to medical schools, and i realize now - we have a very difference set of experiences, that are very unique, and if you can showcase it, and use it to your advantage, in a way you are uniquely qualified.

Good luck, everyone. Please PM me if you have any questions! we are all in this together

Awesome!

...THis monday Drexel turned into acceptance. On TUESDAY ETSU accepted me off the hold. Today I got response from Vermont - accepted to Connecticut campus. Still on waitlist in EVMS and WVU (my top two choices)...

As I make my own decision: Where are you going and why?

As I make my own decision: Where are you going and why?
Well... i am still trying to decide that. A lot of that will come down to money, - i want to wait for financial packages and any scholarships that i might get. I an IS in virginia, so, if i do not get any scholarships, ETSU, drexel and Vermont will be the same financially. IF they cost the same, Drexel makes more sense. i LOVED vermont, but unless i get some sort of scholarship, it is a VERY VERY expensive move for me. Between ETSU and Drexel, - I think Drexel's goals are a little more aligned with mine, as far as specialty vs primary care, and research. But i do not like phililadelphia at all, and LOVE LOVE LOVE ETSU and johnson city, and ppl i met. so, basically, if costs are the same - Drexel . But in real life - i am waiting for financial packages. And, honestly, WVU and ETSU are my top two choices. BUt yeabh, i am like a kid in a candy store now :))))

Well... i am still trying to decide that. A lot of that will come down to money, - i want to wait for financial packages and any scholarships that i might get. I an IS in virginia, so, if i do not get any scholarships, ETSU, drexel and Vermont will be the same financially. IF they cost the same, Drexel makes more sense. i LOVED vermont, but unless i get some sort of scholarship, it is a VERY VERY expensive move for me. Between ETSU and Drexel, - I think Drexel's goals are a little more aligned with mine, as far as specialty vs primary care, and research. But i do not like phililadelphia at all, and LOVE LOVE LOVE ETSU and johnson city, and ppl i met. so, basically, if costs are the same - Drexel . But in real life - i am waiting for financial packages. And, honestly, WVU and ETSU are my top two choices. BUt yeabh, i am like a kid in a candy store now :))))

choices, choices, choices lol. Congrats. Having to make this decision is a great problem to have!

Status
Not open for further replies.