any mnemonics for leukemias the NHL or AML leukemias?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westernmed007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any mnemonics? These things are so hard to memorize and first aid has so little on them... so frustrating to get the translocations down too...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Burkitt hates Cing MYCe

This one is stupid, but for some reason I remember it. PML is shorter than follicular lymphoma and therefore its tranlocation is t(15;17) where follicular lymphoma is t(14;18).

Anyone have any mnemonics? These things are so hard to memorize and first aid has so little on them... so frustrating to get the translocations down too...

Everytime a doctor asks me about one of them I kinda get an absence seizure.... I am working on Mnemonics, but I have tests next week so it might take a while..... I wonder if there is someway I can tag this message or something....

Right Now I have: heme synthesis, and Leukemia Classifications & Treatments as something were memory aids are needed.;););););););)

I have my own wierd way of learning these, but maybe this will help you:

Burkitt's (8,14) The 8 kinda looks like a B

CML (9,22) I just know this one, and so do you.

Follicular (14,18) FO-llicular souds like FORteen

AML (15,17) -M3, 3 is a multiple of 15

Hopefullly that helps someone out there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Coincidentally, I used the EXACT same thinking (8 looks like B and 14 starts like Follicular). Also, don't forget mantle cell is 11:14 and 11:22 for Ewing's (I know, not a real one).

Apparently, papillary thyroid cancer has a ret:pTC translocation.

Everytime a doctor asks me about one of them I kinda get an absence seizure.... I am working on Mnemonics, but I have tests next week so it might take a while..... I wonder if there is someway I can tag this message or something....

Right Now I have: heme synthesis, and Leukemia Classifications & Treatments as something were memory aids are needed.;););););););)

Click on "Thread Tools" at the top of the page -> Subscribe to this thread

Ewing's: Remember that Patrick Ewing (former NBA star for the New York Knicks) averaged 22 points and 11 rebounds a game. It's usually in kids, so imagine a kid looking at a Patrick Ewing trading card of him with his stats (11:22) on the back.

Follicular: aside from the t(14:18), it's important to know that it is associated with bcl-2 (I got this question on USMLEWorld today). We all know that bcl-2 is anti-apoptotic, and follicular makes me think of a hair follicle that keeps growing and growing because it can't be cut.

Silly, but perhaps they will help someone...

Remember that the lymphomas have a 14 in the translocation (Burkitt's, Follicular, mantle cell).

Mantle cell has an 11, which is like two candles on a fireplace mantle (ok, that's a stretch).

Sorry about dragging up an old post. I was googling for Leukemia mnemonics and just had to chime in here.

Ewing's: Remember that Patrick Ewing (former NBA star for the New York Knicks) averaged 22 points and 11 rebounds a game. It's usually in kids, so imagine a kid looking at a Patrick Ewing trading card of him with his stats (11:22) on the back.
Patrick Ewing was number 33, and 11+22 = 33
As Goljan would say, "remember one and the other one's the other one". In this case, mantle cell.
I like the mantle idea above. So we have 1114 which looks like three candles and "four" = "fire".
Works for me.

Money. Thanks

You know what I've realized? It doesn't matter how stupid or silly or mundane the mnemonic is. The point is to just HAVE a mnemonic. I'm convinced its an anxiety thing, like your brain can recall the information more easily if you're confident you remember it. The mnemonics are, therefore, partially just a tool to help convince yourself that you can remember all this stuff.

Last edited:
FOLLICULAR = FOURTEEN t(14;18)
Mantle - I picture two 1's as the outside legs of the M. t(11;14)
Burkitt - B=8 t(8;14)
As many have said --> Ewing 11 + 22 = 33, which was Patrick Ewing's number.
What else are you having trouble with?

·Man(D1)e cell: 11:14 translocation (With some imagination “M” could look like a sideways “5” that fell to the left...)
  • 5 = 1+4; for 11:14, and just imagine a "1" in front of both
  • “manD1e cell” – cycline "D1"