Any more news about the DO school in Yakima?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acrunchyfrog

In memory of Riley
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw on their website that they had named a president and still are shooting for a 2008 start, but I think 2009 is more realisting. Does anyone know any more about this new school?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw on their website that they had named a president and still are shooting for a 2008 start, but I think 2009 is more realisting. Does anyone know any more about this new school?

except for them having the most comical initials of any med school (PNUHS)....I know nothing...

Members don't see this ad :)
They got approval from the state today to begin granting degrees. Groundbreaking is still slated for late March.

I hope they get things going soon, at this rate I'll have finished my career by the time they get anything in place.
I assume there's been no word of affiliations with nearby universities, such as Washington State. I'll repeat that such an affiliation would been greatly beneficial, so long as they work on amiable terms with UWash. Establishing an Osteopathic Medical College there with strong ties to local hospitals and (state) universities would be a major and welcome addition to the area, the medical profession, and the osteopathic medical profession.
It is such a phenomenal opportunity that I shudder to think that it might not happen, or that it might become an isolated private college with meager affiliations and programs.

As far as I know there aren't any strong affiliations with UW. I haven't heard anything about WSU. With the State ok yesterday to award doctoral degrees they are working with the other universities and colleges in the state to offer research opportunities toward a PhD for the interested faculty. I've heard that they are hoping to draw some funding from the many biotech companies on the West side (in hopes that they will be interested in local as opposed to foreign researchers).

I met with one of the board members tonight (thank you for that dinner Lily) and he says they are still on schedule to begin hiring faculty this summer and begin interviews in the fall. He said to watch the local news tomorrow for another announcement so we'll see what that's about. I keep hearing they are hoping to break ground this month, but I'm not certain about that because it seems a little premature without accreditation, but we'll see.

I keep hearing the school referred to as PNWU on the news as of late so maybe they've picked up on that.

One way or the other, I'd go to the PNUHS school or to PNWU. As long as they have a decent program going I don't care what they're called.

Now to convice my girlfriend that moving to "Yaki-Vegas", "The Palm Springs of Washington" is a good move....