any movement on the waitlists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

secretasianman

Glorified Enabler
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know of any movement of waitlists at the schools theyre monitoring? or is this movement only going to suddenly rush and hit us on may 15? should i be feeling anxious now, or is this a little premature? :oops:p

Members don't see this ad.

passthesashimi said:
does anyone know of any movement of waitlists at the schools theyre monitoring? or is this movement only going to suddenly rush and hit us on may 15? should i be feeling anxious now, or is this a little premature? :oops:p

Slightly less than a month now until the action occurs. May 16th is an important day.

Members don't see this ad :)
pritzker started to take off a few people off its alternate list in the last few weeks.

EVMS has moved a little bit.

VPDcurt said:
EVMS has moved a little bit.

Curt, if you don't mind, when did you find this out and what exactly did they tell you? Just wondering because I called EVMS yesterday to ask if there has been any waitlist movement over the last few weeks and they said no. I would think that now that they are done interviewing there may be at least a little activity for us waitlistees.

passthesashimi said:

Yo...you didn't get in anywhere at all yet? Looking at your stats on mdapplicants.com, I find that pretty amazing. Best of luck on UCI. Are those other schools actual ones you're still waiting on?

What kind of EC activities were you involved with? Do you think anything specific hurt/helped your profile?

For all the rest of you waiting to get off of Sinai's waitlist, they told me that the list wouldn't move until JUNE. :(

maygirl said:
pritzker started to take off a few people off its alternate list in the last few weeks.

I was placed on their alternate list but I am a bit confused on how this works. From my understanding, I thought only a select few from the alternate list were going to be placed on the waiting list and the rest rejected. Is this correct? Please someone clarify. Thanks.

Fusion said:
Curt, if you don't mind, when did you find this out and what exactly did they tell you? Just wondering because I called EVMS yesterday to ask if there has been any waitlist movement over the last few weeks and they said no. I would think that now that they are done interviewing there may be at least a little activity for us waitlistees.
Yeah, I called a day ago (Monday) and was told that there hadn't been any waitlist movement. :confused:
Also, the lady (really nice!) said I was at the very top of the middle 1/3, like last time, and that it was a good place to be! :D :D :D

Summarizing...

EVMS- moving a little bit
Pritzker- few people off alternate list past few wks
Sinai- no movement till June
Stanford- Moving
UCIrvine- few people off alternate list past few wks

drslc134 said:
Yo...you didn't get in anywhere at all yet? Looking at your stats on mdapplicants.com, I find that pretty amazing. Best of luck on UCI. Are those other schools actual ones you're still waiting on?

What kind of EC activities were you involved with? Do you think anything specific hurt/helped your profile?

i've gotten into one school and am on like 4 waitlists. i do live 15minutes away from uci though, and it's oodles cheaper, so i'm anxious ;o.

i'm just wondering how big waitlists are? they are so elusive to me at this point that it seems like they contain close to 100 people. does anyone have any hard figures on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
at univ. of tennesee there are 127 pple on the waitlist. they say they take approx 50 students from this list each year.

don't know if this means anything for other schools, though.

Buffalo has started to move, a couple people here have been accepted off the list already.

Bump

(with particular regards to EVMS).

We should start pacts where a person who isn't even applying to a particular school calls the admissions office and harasses them about waitlist information. That way you don't have to worry about pissing them off.

subtle1epiphany said:
Yeah, I called a day ago (Monday) and was told that there hadn't been any waitlist movement. :confused:
Also, the lady (really nice!) said I was at the very top of the middle 1/3, like last time, and that it was a good place to be! :D :D :D

I also called on Monday and was told I was still in the top 1/3 of the waitlist but that there was no waitlist movement as of yet. Did the lady really say that being on the top of the middle 1/3 was a good place to be? If so that is awesome. Also, are you instate or out of state. I think they have separate waitlists for both but not sure.

futuredocter said:
Also, are you instate or out of state. I think they have separate waitlists for both but not sure.

I asked them this early on and they said there is only one list. I called last week and she said that I am in the middle 1/3 of the list and that "there has not been any significant movement."

mdsh00 said:
I asked them this early on and they said there is only one list. I called last week and she said that I am in the middle 1/3 of the list and that "there has not been any significant movement."

i spoke with someone in the office circa late-march [secretary?], and she said that they pull from the waitlist in order, but with attention to demographics -- so lets say im a white, female out of state student and im next in line, but a male instate student drops his spot then they pick the next male, instate student off of the list - not me... does that make sense?

passthesashimi said:

Summarizing again (I hope I didn't miss anything):

Cornell - Will begin to move after May 15 according to secretary (however,
according to past years' posts, it begins to move at the beginning
of May)
EVMS- moving a little bit
Pritzker- few people off alternate list past few wks
Sinai- no movement till June
Stanford- Moving
UCIrvine- few people off alternate list past few wks

they have three waitlist groups. we found out on april 1 which group we are in but wont hear anything now until june 1. im sure they wait until may 15th to get formal acceptances and rejections of acceptances and then size up the whole situation and start going to the waitlist on june 1. i have heard various stories about the chances of getting in from the different groups. im in the top group and have haerd that there are 50 per group and all top group gets in and half of second. i've also heard 100 in each group and half of the first group gets in. they also have demographics to worry about so clearly that will come into play. anyone have any better information?

I've heard that this is an exceptionally dismal year for WL'ed students. I always thought that being on a WL was a good thing.

benbk said:
I've heard that this is an exceptionally dismal year for WL'ed students. I always thought that being on a WL was a good thing.
Are you talking about a specific school, or waitlists in general?

Who did you hear this from? An admissions officer or is it just a general feeling amongst your friends? I always thought that most waitlists don't start moving until after May 15th. Its too early to give up hope!!!!!

Being on waitlists is like being in purgatory. :mad:

benbk said:

benbk said:

The waitlists will start moving better in May and waitlistees will be singing a different tune. I think the waitlists are just as large as they have been in previous years.

my premed advisor [for what its worth, if anything] said that this year the number of actual applications is way up -- more people applying to more schools -- which should mean more waitlist movement.... but who knows. anyone reccomend a good psychic? haha

gh9967 said:
Being on waitlists is like being in purgatory. :mad:

It IS being in purgatory!!! ;)

With more people applying I would think that it would mean less waitlist movement since there isn't just a small group of superstars holding all the spots.

Ames980 said:
my premed advisor [for what its worth, if anything] said that this year the number of actual applications is way up -- more people applying to more schools -- which should mean more waitlist movement.... but who knows. anyone reccomend a good psychic? haha

I got into Columbia today off the waitlist. So the lists are moving...

How about U of Rochester? Any movement there yet?

margerita said:
I got into Columbia today off the waitlist. So the lists are moving...

Wow, congratulations! That's great news. Did you write a letter of intent or a letter of interest?

Sparky

For all of us who are waitlisted, or who were waitlisted last year, if we dont find out by June or July, should we re-apply again even to those schools that waitlisted us ? What should we do ? Anyone with advice ?

I'm still waiting to hear from Drexel, have my fingers crossed..hihih