Any Musicians applying to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ggt187

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my 3rd year as a trumpet performance major at the College-Conservatory of Music in Cincinnati, just wondering if any fellow musicians are applying this round.

Members don't see this ad.

ggt187 said:
I'm in my 3rd year as a trumpet performance major at the College-Conservatory of Music in Cincinnati, just wondering if any fellow musicians are applying this round.

I just pressed the submit button! I am a musician. I was a double Music/Psych major but decided to just stick with Psych since I wasn't planning on pursuing music professionally. However, I practically took all the classes so maybe I should have stuck with it! I play classical and jazz piano, classical guitar, sing, and took organ lessons (but I was never entirely proficient). I sing in a symphonic choir now that I'm out of school.

How's your application going?

Lyric soprano; most of a music performance degree. Decided junior year of college I didn't want to sing for my supper. Switched to biology.
Studied all the usual classic repertoire. Prefer folk, Celtic, etc.
:oops:
LIsa

titoincali said:
I just pressed the submit button! I am a musician. I was a double Music/Psych major but decided to just stick with Psych since I wasn't planning on pursuing music professionally. However, I practically took all the classes so maybe I should have stuck with it! I play classical and jazz piano, classical guitar, sing, and took organ lessons (but I was never entirely proficient). I sing in a symphonic choir now that I'm out of school.

How's your application going?

Members don't see this ad :)
Music majors can't go to med school! That's just stupid. :laugh:

I graduated with a music performance degree in cello and I applied last year....I was accepted to University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. Music majors can go to med school! Good luck with the process, if you have any questions pm me :D

ggt187 said:

Columbia med is perfect for musicians and aritist and athletes. They will take you in fast well if your numbers are okay.

hi everyone! i was a voice major at columbia, worked in the music industry for two years and now am appying to med school. i sing in the new york choral society. nice to finally meet some future doctor/musicians :)

I'm not exactly a musician but a radio/club dj. I put on my app that I've volunteered at a public radio station for over 2 years now.. still haven't hit submit yet! :)

somebody prop me up here, cos this memory is SO far gone, but i think there's an orchestra in boston comprised entirely of BU and other med students and residents. yeeha! fun as that is just IMAGINE the type A vibes in that one!

violin & fiddle, by the way. didn't major in music but found it a good EC.

I'm a fellow trumpet player also applying to med school this summer.... I'm not a music major but I do play in the "music major" concert ensembles at LSU. So is Columbia Med a music player's good choice? What are other schools that favor musicians?

I started out as a clarinet performance major at the College-Conservatory of Music in Cincinnati (in 2000). I ended up switching to Biology after the first year, though. I recently sold my good clarinet to pay for applications! I still enjoy music, but I just got tired of the constant competition of music school.

Nice thread! I started my undergraduate career as a bassoon major, and sadly lasted but a semester! I really respect pre-medical music majors out there, but considering music is and always will be a passion/"escape" of mine (sorry to use such a hackneyed expression but it seemed apropo), it wasn't difficult to switch my degree to a B.S. in biochemistry with a minor in philosophy. :O) Besides, I still play in my school's wind ensemble, study with the bassoon prof, and do chamber music, so I do get in at least a few hours of playing most days of the week. In my case, though, I didn't really see myself in a performance career if my med school dreams didn't materialize, and ultimately, I'm glad I made the switch. Not only will I be able to graduate on time after having switched majors, but I have been able to continue studying languages as well! (Spanish, German, and am starting Chinese this next semester! (woohoo!) )

Good luck in the application process you all!

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Bertrand Russell

ggt187 said:

To be honest, I think being a musician (jazz violin) is what got me into med school. We talked about music more than medicine at EVERY one of my interviews.

Good Luck,

Tha Fly

Played drums for over 14 years. Not sure how much weight that will carry in my application.

firebird69guy said:
Played drums for over 14 years. Not sure how much weight that will carry in my application.

I was hoping this thread would come up. I am a jazz drummer just graduated U of R Eastman School of Music, and will be in NYC for med school starting in August. While I am really excited about being in the city, I am wondering where/how I will be able to play. I know I won't have much time for it, but even when I do, I doubt roomates/neighbors will be happy with me playing "real" acoustic drums. I am thinking about buying electronic drums for med school, or looking into silent pads. Any drummers or musicians have any suggestions? Do any schools provide practice space for students where I could store gear? Thanks alot!

I'll be playing with a practice mute of some kind whenever I get the chance (it probably won't be that often). It's such a bummer to not be able to play, but I'll get to be doing what I really love.

Look up Dr. Jess Ting at Mt. Sinai. He went to Julliard for his BA and MA went to med school and is now on staff as a plastic surgeon. There is such a thing as too much talent. Best wishes guys. :thumbup:

I play trumpet too. I'm not a music major, but I play in the Jazz Ensemble and Pep Band at my school. I also play guitar, but 7 years on trumpet > 2 years on guitar. I was thinking about a music minor for awhile, but decided against it.

I had a record deal for a while before going to med school, playing guitar and trumpet. Unfortunately, the deal wasn't good enough to pay for school...sadly had to sell some of my gear.