Any musicians out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always been involved in my schools music programs - even after I stopped taking classes at my last school, I stayed there to play in their concert band.

Is anyone else gonna try to keep your instrument in your life?

or am I the only one (read: geek) who actually started stories with "And this one time at band camp..." and I wasn't quoting the movie?

Members don't see this ad.

*raises hand*

I'm probably going to purchase my first piano sometime in the next few months. It'll be a little more exciting than my current 8-yr-old Yamaha keyboard!

Originally posted by Swiper The Fox
*raises hand*

I'm probably going to purchase my first piano sometime in the next few months. It'll be a little more exciting than my current 8-yr-old Yamaha keyboard!

Hey I have a clavinova in my apt. and I love it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Brickhouse
Hey I have a clavinova in my apt. and I love it.
I have a tambourine!

*edit* that's pretty cool, though. We passed up an opportunity to take a Hammond Organ a few years ago due to shipping issues. I'm dying to have a piano to pound when I want to play...

Well I don't know about band camp stories...but I have kept us with my stringed instruments. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to take my studio piano to med school. :(

I'm completely addicted to my cello. I'm gonna try to keep it up as much as I can in med school as a stress reliever, and also to do something that's "not school" for balance's sake.

yes, I also have played the cello since I was in 4th grade....i guess I fall under the category of a total 'orch-dork'..

still, my #1 passion lies with my guitar. Its my number one creative and emotional outlet, along with a great stress reliever. My music plays a huge role in my life, and I consider it one of my best habits :horns:

i don't know what i would do without music. i've been playing piano, acoustic and classical guitar, and drums for a little over 14 years now and what an outlet have they served. i seriously would be on the road to losing my mind and going bonkers if i didn't have these to relieve stress, lol.

It's always nice to see fellow cellists. :)

So for you continuing musicians- are you planning on taking lessons while in school, joining groups (bands, orchs, chamber orchs, etc.), or doing solo work?

rock n roll guitar here!!! :horns:
and classical piano...i started life as a music major

flute, piano, and keyboards here. Mostly flute. :)

guitar (acoustic and electric), bass guitar, drums (set), saxophone, and I am learning piano... If I could make any money in the music industry I would, since i can't, med school here I come

Hellz yeah! One thing I'm never, ever giving up, no matter how busy life gets, is music. I play the piano and hammered dulcimer, and I have a lot of vocal/choir experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guilty of violin from 1st or 2nd grade. (I've always been an orchestra dork.) Though college really put a damper on the whole violin lesson thing. Haven't formally played in an orchestra since I was in HS. I'd like to pick it back up again in med school, but, timewise.....

Originally posted by Cuteasaurus
It's always nice to see fellow cellists. :)

So for you continuing musicians- are you planning on taking lessons while in school, joining groups (bands, orchs, chamber orchs, etc.), or doing solo work?

All of the above for me, if there's time. I'd love to take more lessons if I can afford it. I've got a couple of home recording projects going on right now that I'd like to keep working on if possible...one is "scandinavian cello" (they do some really cool stuff with stringed instruments), and the other is a rock/metal thing. I'm a closet metalhead. :D

Well last night I did a search on google to try to find a group in my new city, and stumbled upon my new avatar! For a limited time only!

Anyway, mine is an ensemble instrument, and there seem to be plenty of those where I'm headed, so I'm really excited at the prospect of finding a group.

"orch -dork" - I love it! I'm a band geek for life.

Originally posted by PianoGirl04
Hellz yeah! One thing I'm never, ever giving up, no matter how busy life gets, is music. I play the piano and hammered dulcimer, and I have a lot of vocal/choir experience.

Hammered dulcimer? :love: :love: :love:

What about the...mountain dulcimer?

:hardy:

Originally posted by Brickhouse
Well last night I did a search on google to try to find a group in my new city, and stumbled upon my new avatar! For a limited time only!

Anyway, mine is an ensemble instrument, and there seem to be plenty of those where I'm headed, so I'm really excited at the prospect of finding a group.

"orch -dork" - I love it! I'm a band geek for life.

If we end up in the same city Brick, I'll start a group with ya :) I played trumpet (actually had a music scholarship my freshman year of college-beat that for dorkiness ;)). I gave it up after my freshman year of college, but I'd love to pick it up again. I also play the piano. I am dying to have my piano with me, but since I've moved a few times since graduating, it just didn't seem practical. I'm also worried about bothering people if I live in an apartment complex during med school. Any thoughts on that? I suppose a keyboard would suffice, but it just doesn't seem the same.

The flute is definitely coming with me to Philly . . . it will be a great way to annoy my neighbors!

I play tabla and I will definitely keep taking classes and performing on the weekends...

I'm guilty of being a band geek. piano since i was 5, flute since 5 grade, sax in 7 grade, and oboe in high school. For a year, but i got pretty good at it when that's all you're doing for 10 hours a day. Ah yes, PYT band rehearsals, 5-10 hour practices a day. now in college, i can't be in band because it's for music majors only, but i am taking a beginning string class and i'm learning to play viola now.

I always am going to have music in my life, i can't live without it. it keeps me sane. but i can't play piano that often cause i don't have a piano in school.

I never did go to band camp though, i was going to though.

Sax man since sixth grade, go band. Interesting that there are so many musicians.

*raise both hands*

I'm an orch dork, too!!!

Well I've played violin since 3, but I started playing in orchs from 7th grade.. man I wish I could've joined orch much earlier.. Playing in orchestras is such a fabulous experience.

So now my goal is to give children opportunities to learn orch instruments and to join orchestras.. so that's why I'm going to be a doctor and get money.. no? :-/

SMW said:
flute, piano, and keyboards here. Mostly flute. :)

Add me to the list of flutist here! I've been playing for about 25 years now! :eek:

I used to play in Symphonic, Concert and Jazz Bands in college and a few years afterwards. I'd also LOVE to play again soon as many of the jazz clubs in the area I live in have open mike nights for musicians. And yes, I still have my flute from high school! :thumbup:

i'm joining the violin group. As a matter of fact, I am in the process of buying one at this moment. It will put back a lot of $$$, but at least it will be incentive to practice! :D

yay for musician types! :)

Im a violinist - Ive been playing since I was 3, and Ive been singing since shortly thereafter. I love it, and definitely will be keeping it up when i go to med school too. there are a bunch of places with orchestras associated with their schools or surrounding cities, so it will be fun to continue. Maybe some of us will get a chance to play in a group together at the same med school :)

i can play half the intro of stairway. does that count?

Guitarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr arrrrrrrr

i am an opera singer, i stand on reflected tape it tells me where im going and where to throw my cap. Some people they call me monster some people they call me saint..........................

Yeah im an opera singer :)

I've played the violin since I was 7.

I'm a singer/dancer/theatre dork myself. People laugh when I tell them those are the things that help me maintain my sanity. :D

04DukeBio said:
Guilty of violin from 1st or 2nd grade. (I've always been an orchestra dork.) Though college really put a damper on the whole violin lesson thing. Haven't formally played in an orchestra since I was in HS. I'd like to pick it back up again in med school, but, timewise.....

Pretty much the same as me. Actually at one point I was considering doing it for a living but decided against it. But I'm definitely going to find some kind of ensemble to play with in med school.

I also played piano and saxophone, but I stopped playing piano seriously in high school and haven't opened my saxophone case for...6 years. I don't even want to think about how bad it must smell.

I taught myself how to play guitar...started out with classes, but dropped out. I 've been doing it since i was 13 or 14. I have a classical, acoustic and an electric. I rather go acoustic though :). Playing guitar keeps me sane...I just did 6 hours of MCAT studying..planning on playing for a couple of hours so I can relax and go to bed :)

Karina

music keeps me going in life. :thumbup:

Brickhouse said:
I've always been involved in my schools music programs - even after I stopped taking classes at my last school, I stayed there to play in their concert band.

Is anyone else gonna try to keep your instrument in your life?

or am I the only one (read: geek) who actually started stories with "And this one time at band camp..." and I wasn't quoting the movie?

Played the piano for 14 years... need to bring it back and maybe my sax skills too.

Can't take my piano, but my old yamaha keyboard is coming with me.

Bringing my entire studio (my computer) with my synths, patches, drum-kits, gotta love that fruity loopz.

Piano, harp and bagpipes here, and I'm definitely taking them to school! As for the amount of practising I'll get done, well, I guess that depends on my neighbours... and when it comes to the pipes, it'll depend on anyone within a 2 mile radius :D

SoulRFlare said:
rock n roll guitar here!!! :horns:
and classical piano...i started life as a music major

Me too...I was a Piano Performance Major and am starting medical school next month. I am on hiatus from piano and am not sure when I might get back to playing. My husband is also a musician, however, so I always have a tie to the music world through him. Any other music majors turned medical students out there?

I've played the piano for 15 years, and I will never, ever give it up! I love it! :love: :love: (esp. Chopin :love: )

Trumpeteer here - since seventh grade through junior year of HS. I used to do the whole marching band and band camp thing as well. Additionally, there was jazz band (I enjoyed that short-lived segment of my life) and wind ensemble. I did a couple of festivals too. I don't play it anymore and I probably suck at it now. In fact I sold my trumpet a few days ago because I have no use for it.

However.....whatever I learned in music/band helped me teach myself piano/keyboard. In fact for a few years, I provided the music for live performances done by our church choir. At home, I can sit down for an hour or two, or just a few minutes, and just play. It relaxes me and channels out any "free radical" energy ;)

EDIT: Oh yea, the keyboard is definitely coming to med school with me :D

I just moved to Rochester to start med school and music is definately still a part of my life. I brought my whole recording setup with me and in the middle of producing my own CD now. I also just signed up to take voice lessons at the music school in town. It will work out well since I can go to school during the day and take lessons in the evening.

I've played flute since I was eight, and also dabbled in clarinet and oboe for a while. Now I'm learning violin. I will definitely be bringing my instruments with me to med school. I just hope that my suitemates don't mind me practicing or that there are practice rooms available!

It's refreshing to see that so many musicians will be in med school. I wonder what the connection is between music and medicine, other than they both take incredible amounts of discipline?

If Stevie Ray Vaughn was the Guitar Hurricane, then I'm the guitar belch. Still, music does strengthen that ever-tenuous but priceless hold on sanity!

Played violin since I could talk...Kept it up in college by applying for a music scholarship. Got to play in the school's symphony, take free private lessons, and all that jazz for a few extra credits a semester - plus I got about $3000 each year just for playing. Not a music minor though. After graduation I moved to DC to do a research fellowship at NIH and joined a community orchestra a few miles away playing once a week.

Definately don't give up anything you love!! It only takes an hour or so every two weeks to keep up playing, but if you set music aside, you could loose your ability forever.

If you are good enough, even at the basics of any instrument, you can tutor kids a couple of hours a month just to keep active in the humdrum of reading music etc.

Sax here, and I picked up guitar on my own when I was in the dorms. I still play some blues at open mic's...and the guitar at our union's open mic. :horns: :horns:

I'm the ultimate band nerd!! My principle instument is clarinet, but I play flute, saxophone, and piano. I was drum major in high school. and to top it off, my mom is a band director!! eeeek!!! :)

I play the diatonic accordeon! :D

I really want to learn how to play the bag pipes....I am sure I would be good at it after playing the sax (takes a lot of air)