Any musicians out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I learned piano first, then clarinet, then alto saxophone... alto saxophone is "my" instrument now, has been for a while. I bought a Selmer of Paris back in high school (used for around $1500 -- other saxophonists will know what a rocking good deal that is). Anyway yes it's coming with me to medical school. I'm lucky, Creighton has a performing arts building with practice rooms so I might be able to claim one at odd hours. :)

Members don't see this ad.

adamj61 said:
I really want to learn how to play the bag pipes....I am sure I would be good at it after playing the sax (takes a lot of air)

The highland pipes is a double reed instrument...not easy.

Most who learn it start out on a chanter and then move up to a goose pipe...and finally...the highland pipes.

Good luck.....it takes a long time to learn.

I also started out in college as a music major. Oboe major actually. Now that's the definition of dork. I just bought myself a piano a few months ago and I LOVE it. It's the perfect study break and the only way I've been able to keep music in my life on a daily basis (playing it that is).

Ms2209 - My old teacher loved Chopin too. Actually, he loves him so much that he's releasing an album of his complete works sometime soon, before the end of the year I think. I can't wait to hear it, although I myself live to play Beethoven. And pop :) Can't get enough of Alicia Keys!

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from UCLA three years ago and have been making a living playing guitar since then. I play for an artist named Jem right now, www.jem-music.net, we're opening for Dave Matthews next month. I'm applying to mostly California med schools right now.

bass guitar here....also have a couple of acoustic & electric guitars i pick around on now and again....

definitely taking them with me to med school. it's somehow cathartic to sit and play for a couple of hours....

rossrug said:
I graduated from UCLA three years ago and have been making a living playing guitar since then. I play for an artist named Jem right now, www.jem-music.net, we're opening for Dave Matthews next month. I'm applying to mostly California med schools right now.

You play for Jem??? Awesome... I want your job.

Rock on my brother! Metal (thrash, death and old school) and classical guitarist here. It's an awesome stress reliever

Why aren't there more brass players around here? I played the euphonium (look it up) all through college. After I graduated a few years ago, I started a quintet with some of my wife's med school friends.

I've always thought of music as a great way to relax and to improve your sensitivity to your surroundings (especially small-ensemble playing). At Minnesota, my interviewer said he'd noticed a pattern: most successful people have played in band. (Hopefully he didn't think of me as the only exception he's ever met.)

Any other brassists, besides DrPharaohX?

Nice of you to say, SSK, it is a great job, though not one that I want forever. I'm curious to see what interviewers think of my post under-grad activities:)

Hersey said:
Why aren't there more brass players around here? I played the euphonium (look it up) all through college. After I graduated a few years ago, I started a quintet with some of my wife's med school friends.

I've always thought of music as a great way to relax and to improve your sensitivity to your surroundings (especially small-ensemble playing). At Minnesota, my interviewer said he'd noticed a pattern: most successful people have played in band. (Hopefully he didn't think of me as the only exception he's ever met.)

Any other brassists, besides DrPharaohX?

Hi,

Click the link in my sig.

Go Bones.

Wow, I can't believe I've been missing this thread! I might have you all on the "ultimate band geek" thing...I was a band director for two years, and now am a member of a military band...yup, professional band-geek. I'm way more into art-sy rock and jazz; i really dig playing in orchestras, too. Not much beats a great string section (and not much is worse that a bad one!).

This thread is a great advertisement for continued music education in schools!

gooooooooo band!!