Any Muslim Applicants/Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DemonDeacon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Salam Alaikum,

I was wondering if there were any Muslim students here who are in or are applying to an osteopathic medical school. I've heard that CCOM has it's own MSA and that there are plenty of halal (kosher) restaurants near NYCOM. I looked at PCOM on the map and it looks like there's a mosque within walking distance. Any tips on choosing schools?

Members don't see this ad.

DemonDeacon said:
Hey Salam Alaikum,

I was wondering if there were any Muslim students here who are in or are applying to an osteopathic medical school. I've heard that CCOM has it's own MSA and that there are plenty of halal (kosher) restaurants near NYCOM. I looked at PCOM on the map and it looks like there's a mosque within walking distance. Any tips on choosing schools?

I just PMed you.

FrogE7 what nationality muslim are u, i no u are in msucom, i have been alternate listed there, im bangladeshi, what about u Demon Deacon?

msucom has 3 mosques around the area close to the campus. it has isma-islamic medical student association. msucom is a great school (ranked 9th in primary care) and the east lansing area where it is located has a lot of muslims from different countries. it is my first choice.

FrogE7 if you choose to go to LECOM-Bradenton that'll open up a spot and maybe they can choose to give me that spot. u no swap a muslim for a muslim! just a thought.lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
DemonDeacon said:
Hey Salam Alaikum,

I looked at PCOM on the map and it looks like there's a mosque within walking distance. Any tips on choosing schools?

I'm not Muslim, but I have visited the mosque that is close to PCOM. If you goto PCOM, you would have to drive there probably.

It's a nice looking place. Great interior design I must say.

C&C

Cool, thanks for the info about the PCOM mosque! You don't remember what it was near, do you?

btw, i'm soori.

DemonDeacon said:
Cool, thanks for the info about the PCOM mosque! You don't remember what it was near, do you?

btw, i'm soori.

I went to an undergraduate institution called St Joseph's University which is on City Line Ave. PCOM is also on City Line Ave, but it is further towards Philadelphia than Saint Joseph's.

The mosque that I visited is very close to St. Joseph's. So unless you are reffering to a different mosque, I think that the only way to get from PCOM is if you drive.

That mosque is run by the Italians.

Walaikum asalaam
I got accepted into lecom erie, and thats where I am leaning towards going. Its still in PA, but are there any other muslims applying to LECOM-Erie? Just curious.

When I interviewed at WVSOM, there was a Muslim female interviewing there as well. I got accepted, and I really hope she did as well because she seemed to be a very qualified applicant from just talking to her. I know she will be a nice addition to the class.

shawmahmed said:
FrogE7 what nationality muslim are u, i no u are in msucom, i have been alternate listed there, im bangladeshi, what about u Demon Deacon?

msucom has 3 mosques around the area close to the campus. it has isma-islamic medical student association. msucom is a great school (ranked 9th in primary care) and the east lansing area where it is located has a lot of muslims from different countries. it is my first choice.

FrogE7 if you choose to go to LECOM-Bradenton that'll open up a spot and maybe they can choose to give me that spot. u no swap a muslim for a muslim! just a thought.lol.

Yeah my parents are still trying to convince me to go to MSU. I am putting down deposits in both and then deciding later. But maybe you will get my spot some time...hehe.

I know that I am not adding anything, but I had a question of my own. I am Muslim and have been accepted to AZCOM. I know there are a lot of mosques and halal establishments in Phoenix, but I was wondering if anybody know of any such places in or around Glendale? Please let me know when you get a chance.

Assalamu Alaikum,

Congrats to all of you and good luck in deciding the school best for you! I am set on going to Western University-COMP in CA. I was wondering if there are any other Muslims planning to attend COMP or already at COMP?

Wow, we are really spread out in terms of the schools that we are going to, and the fact that there arent many of us. Wouldnt that be cool if some of us would go to the same school! I think it would fun to meet everyone and go to school with them!:)

bluerose786 said:
Assalamu Alaikum,

Congrats to all of you and good luck in deciding the school best for you! I am set on going to Western University-COMP in CA. I was wondering if there are any other Muslims planning to attend COMP or already at COMP?

Hajira786 said:
Wow, we are really spread out in terms of the schools that we are going to, and the fact that there arent many of us. Wouldnt that be cool if some of us would go to the same school! I think it would fun to meet everyone and go to school with them!:)

Hajira786

i want to apply to LECOM-Erie do you think it is too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am from AZ. Most of the halal establishments are in Tempe (next to Arizona state university) or in Phoenix. I can think of Haji Baba (tempe) and Baiz Market(phx). Baiz is close to AZCOM. Let me know if you want more info. Good luck.

Where are you from? Which State?

I am, too, a Muslim, obviously from Bosnia.

have just interviewed at Touro, TCOM, LECOM-Bradenton, and Lake Erie.
I was wondering, are there other Muslims from the European continent?

There are many Bosnian physicians who managed to get their diplomas recognized here and are well respected in their fields. After all that happened to us during the war, they make me so proud!!!

Good will to all faiths, and good luck to all !!!

Alex05 said:
I am from AZ. Most of the halal establishments are in Tempe (next to Arizona state university) or in Phoenix. I can think of Haji Baba (tempe) and Baiz Market(phx). Baiz is close to AZCOM. Let me know if you want more info. Good luck.

Where are you from? Which State?

Muslim applicant accepted to AZCOM and waiting on TCOM and UT-Houston (stupid Feb 1st match!)

im an MS-1 at LECOM-Erie right now. the mosque (a small house, really) is about 10 mins away. we've got a pretty active MSA here. feel free to ask any more questions.

Salaamz, I was wondering if any of you are Muslim and planning on attending COMP? Any info on nearby mosques or Islamic centers? Insha Allah, I hope everyone's finding the best school for themselves:)

I'm not a Muslim, but I have heard that there is a mosque in the Blacksburg/Christiansburg area at VCOM. Good Luck on your applications!

there is also a mosque (sp?) near Nova like 2 miles away. it is weird that there are muslims in ft.lauderdale/miami area since there is so many naked/partially naked ppl around there. makes the hormones go crazy!

Muslim and going to TCOM this fall. Any female muslims going there as well?

i got an interview at touro coming up and i'm muslim...

I'm Muslim and will attend WVSOM...I was coincidentally contacted by another Muslim girl to share an apartment with for next year. Nice how things work out sometimes :)

Anybody else going there?

Salaam,

Just some info about WVSOM. I am currently a first year here and one of three muslims here (2 guys and a girl). Me and another guy are getting married so we will have our wives here next year. Hit me up if you have any questions about the school or anything else (don't be scared, Lewisburg is not that bad and the school, and classmates are great).

paknm said:
Salaam,

Just some info about WVSOM. I am currently a first year here and one of three muslims here (2 guys and a girl). Me and another guy are getting married so we will have our wives here next year. Hit me up if you have any questions about the school or anything else (don't be scared, Lewisburg is not that bad and the school, and classmates are great).

is it true that WVSOM only accepts MCAT scores from the fall prior to the entering year because i took the MCAT april 2005, will they accept that?

BengaliDocIsl said:
is it true that WVSOM only accepts MCAT scores from the fall prior to the entering year because i took the MCAT april 2005, will they accept that?

Your april 2005 MCAT score should be fine. From what I understand, your MCAT score is good for 3 years, but don't quote me on that. Mine was over a year old.

bosnia said:
I am, too, a Muslim, obviously from Bosnia.

have just interviewed at Touro, TCOM, LECOM-Bradenton, and Lake Erie.
I was wondering, are there other Muslims from the European continent?

There are many Bosnian physicians who managed to get their diplomas recognized here and are well respected in their fields. After all that happened to us during the war, they make me so proud!!!

Good will to all faiths, and good luck to all !!!

Salaam , Bosnia

I too am from Bosnia , I moved to Alberta, Canada in 1997 and now I am currently getting a B.Sc in Neuroscience, and Insha'Allah I"ll commence medical school in 2009. I am suprised ( pleasently) to encounter anthoer BOSANKU ovde hehe.

Hey everyone,

im going to LECOM-erie this fall, anyone else? ;)

I'm applying to UMDNJSOM, PCOM, NYCOM, UNECOM for sure. Muslim from Connecticut.

Muslim from MI. applying to PCOM-PA, NYCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, MSUCOM, LECOM-PA, CCOM, WVSOM, VCOM.

I'm a Canadian, applying to all of the DO schools.

Salaam,

I don't know about the other Osteopathic Schools, but CCOM-Midwestern in Downers Grove is an awesome place for a Muslim Student. Islamic Foundation of Villa Park is 12-15 minutes away, if you head on Roosevelt there are loads of Zabiha restaraunts and places for you to by your groceries. Also, Chicago has a gigantic Muslim Community with loads of events every weekend. Also, there is a good network for Muslim Medical Students in Chicago, they usually meet up at Rush Medical College.

There are a lot more things going on Chicago that I haven't mentioned, its an awesome city for a muslim and non-muslim.

BTW--I know about 15 Muslim freinds of mine who will be attending CCOM this fall lol.

If you have any other questions about Chicago feel free to PM me.

WS

Assalamu alaikum

I'm going to rush inshAllah (God Willing) this year (2006). Hope to see some fellow medical geeks :)

I'll be that hot indian/paki stud since you know there's no indians/pakis in med school.

ilmdwannabe said:
Assalamu alaikum

I'm going to rush inshAllah (God Willing) this year (2006). Hope to see some fellow medical geeks :)

I'll be that hot indian/paki stud since you know there's no indians/pakis in med school.

Grats on Rush, iA you have an awesome time there:)

Does anyone knows about the mosques near KCUMB?

Muslim and going to TCOM this fall. Any female muslims going there as well?
I'm a female Muslim, and I've been accepted to TCOM. kiterunner, are you Persian, too?

I am going to TCOM and I am considering becoming muslim

I am going to TCOM and I am considering becoming muslim

iam not muslim but curious if this guy is being sarcastic..lol? Neways i gave up my spot in lecom erie..so hey some of you folks who wanna go to lecom can be excited! My suggestion would be to look into DCOM it's a great school..although pcom is still my no.1 choice.

chaeymaey, I am Pakistani but there are a few Persian in my class.

chaeymaey, I am Pakistani but there are a few Persian in my class.

I have so many pakistani friends by the way..and a lot of them are infact applying to DO schools. Neways iam indian..so yeaa show me some love.lol

No I'm being serious; I have been looking into different religions for about 7 years now I started a open forum at my school so that others like me and those interested in learning about different religions can have a non intimidating opportunity to do so. Its called Exploring Perspectives. Check it out : http://www.cma.buffalo.edu/exploring_perspectives

This website explains what its all about, I'm going to start this forum at TCOM once I get down there. Tell me what you guys think.

My gf is Pakistani, my best friends are Indian, Jamaican, Irish, Italian, and a bunch a muts, I love learning about different cultures, I actually danced at India night for the past 2 years dancing Bhangra.

No I'm being serious; I have been looking into different religions for about 7 years now I started a open forum at my school so that others like me and those interested in learning about different religions can have a non intimidating opportunity to do so. Its called Exploring Perspectives. Check it out : http://www.cma.buffalo.edu/exploring_perspectives

This website explains what its all about, I'm going to start this forum at TCOM once I get down there. Tell me what you guys think.

My gf is Pakistani, my best friends are Indian, Jamaican, Irish, Italian, and a bunch a muts, I love learning about different cultures, I actually danced at India night for the past 2 years dancing Bhangra.

great news, czanetti, i hope u do become muslim. it's great that you are finding about islam, you'll see that it's not the type of religion that is portrayed on tv these days and how everything in islam makes sense. :thumbup:

That is part of the reason why I created exploring perspectives. I knew that if it's not Muslim it will be another religion down the road that will be prosecuted and misrepresented on TV, the only way you can fight such propaganda is by education, but an education that allows those that are ignorant to ask questions. By ignorant I don't mean racist or extremists but those that are not aware of what actually is because all that they are exposed to is what they see on TV or what they interact with in there small Christian dominated community. It's just a way for those to be informed about all religions.

I'm from a small town in New York, I've seen it growing up my entire life. I always had an innate frustration with the way that we are all misinformed about the world around us, one day I hope that changes. I beleive that there is a new paradigm of open minded thougth that is taking hold we just need to reach the tipping point to create this much needed epidemic of acceptance.

haha, i left my country b/c of islam. Anyway, good luck in your search of religion. Hopefully, one day u will open ur heart to Jesus Christ. I am not here to create any flaming arguments. everyone is in his own corner. u stay in urs and i stay in mine. Salaam ya asdeka(friends)

I open my heart to everyone that is the point of a religion. It is those that can't do that, that end up making trouble. I didn't mean to intimidate you by any of my comments I was just stating the obvious. I have interacted with many different perspectives and I promise that I open my heart to all, I have been searching my whole life for one that could do the same because it doesn't make sense to me for it to be otherwise. At the same token you should take your own advice and open your heart to Buddha , Confucius,Brahms,Vishnu,Shiva,Muhammad,God, Kami,Tao and all of the other spirits that unite humans to be humanitarian as oppose to judgmental, ignorant, blind observers, of a world that can easily misconstrue a religions purpose.

There isn't a corner it is a cirlce. Seperation is only created by us.

My interaction/research in the field of islam has emminated acceptance, and the expression of humanitarian action since I was first introduced to it. I am mearly interested in learning more.

my ex gf was indian-muslim and i will tell ya religion is something people are born into and makes no difference what people believe in..as long as your actions dont hurt someone..including yourself..it's all good!

Hey Salam Alaikum,

Not muslim, but something I thought I'd bring up.

Several years ago over at our school, we had an issue where a muslim student transferred away because she refused to participate in OMT lab (since girls were supposed to be in sport bras/shorts). Basically, she was told that if she didn't participate, she'd fail the OMT section (and likewise dismissed from medical school).

Our school has since changed its policy (thank goodness) that allows students to wear full length shirts/pants of some sort to cover themselves.

If this is something that could be an issue with you or any other muslim student, you might want to inquire about the school's policy on it (since EVERY osteopathic school I know of requires their students to participate in OMT lab).

Not muslim, but something I thought I'd bring up.

Several years ago over at our school, we had an issue where a muslim student transferred away because she refused to participate in OMT lab (since girls were supposed to be in sport bras/shorts). Basically, she was told that if she didn't participate, she'd fail the OMT section (and likewise dismissed from medical school).

Our school has since changed its policy (thank goodness) that allows students to wear full length shirts/pants of some sort to cover themselves.

If this is something that could be an issue with you or any other muslim student, you might want to inquire about the school's policy on it (since EVERY osteopathic school I know of requires their students to participate in OMT lab).

It's NSUCOM isnt it? :laugh: