Any Navy Reservists Stay in Drilling Status Throughout Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LTMCUSN

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting Medical School this August and would like to stay in a drilling status if I can. The instruction on this (RESPERMAN 1001-020) isn't the clearest but it seems like I will have the same likelihood of mobilization as any other sailor. Has anyone remained in the SELRES during school and were you able to get any deferral or "dwell time" from deployment as a student?

I'm also in a critical war time specialty (1805/POMI), so I may not be able to defer a deployment if I'm mobilized. I reached out to the Bureau of Naval Medicine to clarify all of this though.

Any insights from my fellow sailors here?

Members don't see this ad.

Thats going to be very very challenging to do. You will be playing with two masters. You might be able to coordinate your AT for breaks but the monthly grind, the GMTs, the drilling etc.. that's extra burden to take on while you take on medical school. In clinicals you have 1-2 weekends a month off, maybe. Instead of studying for your shelf exam you are doing SAPR training. What's your end goal for specifically doing that? $$ not worth it.

There are 1st person issues I know of where guys in protected situations were tagged for mobs secondary to having another specialty that made them deployable.

Handsome1- I could use the money, including the retention bonus I have coming next year, to answer your question. Not to mention, I have 6 years of active service already and 2 reserve, and it would be nice to have another 4 towards retirement before I apply for TMS in residency.

You are absolutely right about the workload, but the reason I'm even considering this is:
1. I'm approved to flex-drill, and my work is mostly planning for NATO Role II medical missions and can be done from my laptop.
2. The Command's headquarters is 5 minutes from my medical school and I can put in a TRUIC change to drill there, meaning PRTs, medical, etc, is easy to do.
3. I have the summer off M1 year and can do AT waivers or home-site AT's the other years if I have a conflict.

Not really worried about GMT's or unit admin requirements- I've spent probably 5 hrs total on that this year-It's the likelihood of mobilizing I have a bad feeling about. Ultimately will make the decision based on what the Medical Corps Specialty Leader says when we talk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your situation makes good sense and I didn't realize how involved you already were and you seem to have an outstanding relationship w your command.

The mobilization is a real thing and a calculated risk. Worst case scenario is probably that you get dropped a year in medical school.

Medical school isn’t a big deal, you have more time than you think. I could have worked a second job during school no sweat so a reserve gig one weekend a month won’t be a big deal at all. If you need to deploy they will hold you back a class.

Residency is another story.

Reactions: 1 user
Starting Medical School this August and would like to stay in a drilling status if I can. The instruction on this (RESPERMAN 1001-020) isn't the clearest but it seems like I will have the same likelihood of mobilization as any other sailor. Has anyone remained in the SELRES during school and were you able to get any deferral or "dwell time" from deployment as a student?

I'm also in a critical war time specialty (1805/POMI), so I may not be able to defer a deployment if I'm mobilized. I reached out to the Bureau of Naval Medicine to clarify all of this though.

Any insights from my fellow sailors here?

Were you able to find out any additional information about this? I'm 2305 (Healthcare administrator) and will be attending medical school beginning in 2020. Does navy have anything like the Army's MDSSP? I want to stay SELRES for a full career, but the only way I can see to prevent an untimely deployment is to obligate myself to active duty via HPSP. I'd love to get your take on this conundrum and any advice you've got for a new accession trying to start off right.

Med school isn’t easy by any stretch. Many people actually struggle. If a side job interferes with your ability to be an elite med student, it’s not worth it. You need to do what it takes to land a desirable residency...that will be worth far more than some side money in med school.

Were you able to find out any additional information about this? I'm 2305 (Healthcare administrator) and will be attending medical school beginning in 2020. Does navy have anything like the Army's MDSSP? I want to stay SELRES for a full career, but the only way I can see to prevent an untimely deployment is to obligate myself to active duty via HPSP. I'd love to get your take on this conundrum and any advice you've got for a new accession trying to start off right.
idigit608, message me on here- I'd like to see if we know each other, and we can compare notes.

Hi LTMCUSN, I'd love the chance, but it seems like your profile is private and I can't message you. Perhaps if you try first?