Any negative effects for taking a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uafl112

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am going to begin my fourth year in august and I am almost entirely sure I want to apply next cycle because it would be more advantageous for me. My question is, would I see any negative impacts for applying next cycle?

Also, I am aware that they will question me on why Im taking a year off. I plan on working and maybe even getting another degree or something along those lines. Would that be an acceptable answer for them?

Members don't see this ad.

Only reason it would hurt you is if you are unproductive in that time. Continue to show involvement in the medical setting. Working on another degree might not be the best idea as what would be the point of it? Unless it's something like a business degree that you would want to use along with your MD to open opportunities down the road, there's no point in another degree to help you get into med school.

So I am going to begin my fourth year in august and I am almost entirely sure I want to apply next cycle because it would be more advantageous for me. My question is, would I see any negative impacts for applying next cycle?

Also, I am aware that they will question me on why Im taking a year off. I plan on working and maybe even getting another degree or something along those lines. Would that be an acceptable answer for them?
Another year of experiences and added maturity will help, not hurt you. Working and getting/staying involved in activities that will strengthen your candidacy for med school is a fine idea.

Why type of additional degree did you have in mind?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I second that, the only way it's bad is if you're unproductive. Another degree is good if you're GPA isn't competitive enough or it's related and it can't hurt if you're able to do it well. Most schools are actually seeing people waiting to apply after getting their bachelor's.

Thanks for the responses. @woltej1 and @Catalystik , a business minor or even a full degree is exactly what I was considering.

A gap year is seen as a positive thing now a days. Only bad thing is the obvious--a years loss of earning potential. The sooner you get into school the sooner you start making the money. But obviously this isn't a huge deal cause if your going into medicine now a days you probably aren't all about $$ like someone going into IB or finance. If it allows you to strengthen your app significantly go for it!

I think 1 year of gap is ok... 2 years max is what I'd say... Anything longer than 2 years of gap year after undergraduate without accomplishing something major can be seen as a red flag, or so I've heard.

I think 1 year of gap is ok... 2 years max is what I'd say... Anything longer than 2 years of gap year after undergraduate without accomplishing something major can be seen as a red flag, or so I've heard.
Well, considering you basically made that up, I would advise OP to not listen to this. Not everyone figures out what they want to do instantly. You apply to med school when you're ready and not before. Obviously that doesn't mean you can sit around for one or three years doing nothing, but as long as you're productive that whole time it doesn't matter how long you take off. There are 30+ year olds in every school across the country right now.

Last edited:
The only dangers of a gap year is that you can seriously lose your gusto about going into medicine, once you start living a comfortable life with low stress and a nice paycheck and thinking working a high stress job the rest of your life isn't all it's cracked up to be - I've seen it happen to a few people.

The only negative of taking a gap year is one year of lost peak income, which could be anywhere from 200k-500k depending on the specialty

Posted using SDN Mobile