Any new DO schools that will open in the next three years !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if there are any new schools that will be opened in the next few years because I am counting in that their stats requirement will be lower than the already eatablished DO schools... My situation is that I am non-traditional applicant with 3.2+ cGPA and 3.4+ sGPA; hoping to score 28+ mcat, I have healthcare experience (RN) and 80+ hours shadowing (MD and DO). I will have some ECs by the time I apply. Will apply apply for 2012 class. Do you guys know if there are prospective DO schools that will be opened in the near future?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, assuming you do get that upper-20's MCAT, I think you have a shot at other more established schools too. I don't think that you should sell yourself too short.

I would like to know if there are any new schools that will be opened in the next few years because I am counting in that their stats requirement will be lower than the already eatablished DO schools... My situation is that I am non-traditional applicant with 3.2+ cGPA and 3.4+ sGPA; hoping to score 28+ mcat, I have healthcare experience (RN) and 80+ hours shadowing (MD and DO). I will have some ECs by the time I apply. Will apply apply for 2012 class. Do you guys know if there are prospective DO schools that will be opened in the near future?
William Carey is accepting its first class right now to begin in the fall. I've heard some talk of a school in MN and MT. LMU-DCOM and Pacific Northwest are also relatively new.

Members don't see this ad :)
New =/= lower stats necessarily. Sometime, this becomes the case due to the larger first class sizes DO schools take right off the bat, but a lot of the newer schools attract just as competitive applicants and have nice averages. Like others said ... do as well as you can on the MCAT and apply broadly.

William Carey is accepting its first class right now to begin in the fall. I've heard some talk of a school in MN and MT. LMU-DCOM and Pacific Northwest are also relatively new.

Seriously?

The ground has been broken on the new Western University campus in Lebanon Oregon about 20 miles from my house. It is scheduled to be accepting its first class in the fall of 2011 if all goes as scheduled.

The ground has been broken on the new Western University campus in Lebanon Oregon about 20 miles from my house. It is scheduled to be accepting its first class in the fall of 2011 if all goes as scheduled.

I wish they were accepting students outside of the region because I would have loved to have a shot at going there.

Do you have any info on where the new schools in MT & MN will be? That is very interesting! Doesn't help me now (applied this cycle), but it is very interesting to hear that.

College of osteopathic medicine to locate in city

Osteopathic medical school in Va. plans to open branch here

By Dudley Brown, Robert W. Dalton & Jason Spencer
and JASON SPENCER

Published: Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 3:15 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 1:06 a.m.
The Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine plans to open its first branch campus in Spartanburg.

The four-year post graduate medical school will be near Spartanburg Regional Medical Center and Wofford College. Dixie Tooke-Rawlins, VCOM's dean and executive vice president, said school officials had not determined whether they would buy an existing building or construct their own.
She also said negotiations were ongoing for a physical rehabilitation center.
"We're certainly looking at places close to the hospital and places close to the other academic institutions," she said. "I suspect we'll have our faculty work together on research with the other academic institutions."
Tooke-Rawlins said if the process of gaining the necessary approvals goes smoothly, the school would open in the fall of 2011. The Spartanburg branch could eventually employ about 100 full-time faculty and staff.
Ingo Angermeier, SRHS' president and CEO, said VCOM initially planned to establish this branch in Charlotte, N.C. SRHS learned of those plans while VCOM officials were in Spartanburg in February. Angermeier said the hospital and VCOM started to discuss how Spartanburg could provide a more rural setting, which the program prefers. He said the hospital brought business, education and political leaders together to attract VCOM to Spartanburg.
"Within three weeks we organized all of those folks and gave (VCOM) a full tour of what was available in Spartanburg," Angermeier said.
Spartanburg Regional spokesman Chad Lawson said the hospital system has had a relationship with VCOM for six years, training 19 students during their junior and senior years. He said the decision to build a college here is "an extension of an already successful program."
"This exciting development will benefit Upstate patients for generations to come," Lawson said in an e-mail. "The entire community will benefit from both the addition of a strong graduate academic presence and a huge economic impact as well."
VCOM's primary mission is training primary care physicians and to serve rural communities and areas that are underserved. Its main campus is in the Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center in Blacksburg, Va.
Lawson said osteopathic care and education emphasizes preventive medicine and teaching manual therapy for musculoskeletal problems.
Chartered in 2001, VCOM had its first graduating class in 2007. It has now had three graduating classes that have produced more than 450 physicians.
Tooke-Rawlins said about a third of VCOM's students are from North and South Carolina.
"We decided providing a branch campus opportunity so they didn't have to leave and could do all four years there would be a good thing," she said.
Tooke-Rawlins said the school has had a direct impact of $166 million on Blacksburg's economy. She expects the Spartanburg branch will produce similar numbers.
"It will be a nice economic boon for the region," she said.
Tooke-Rawlins said Spartanburg officials and the area itself convinced VCOM to expand here rather than in North Carolina.
"The hospitality of those at Spartanburg Regional and of those in the city convinced us this was a place we'd like to look at," she said. "And it's much more conducive to our mission of rural and underserved care."
Spartanburg County Councilwoman Jane Hall said the school would be a boost for the community, and its graduates would fill a gaping need in medical care.
"It's going to be great for the students in this osteopathic medicine program and great for the Upstate to have these doctors, because when they're in their third and fourth year of residency they'll be out there helping take care of patients and pick up some of the slack of maybe not having full-time family medical care in all the communities," she said. "I think it's going to be a plus."

VCOM had its first graduating class in 2007.

They just graduated their first class less than 3 years ago and already they're opening a branch campus. This makes me sick. I'm embarrassed to be a DO.

I just hope the new schools that are popping up are quality ones.

There should be one opening up in Alabama in the next several years.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the list of developing osteopathic schools from wikipedia...

Missouri Southern State University KCUMB Partnership, Joplin MS, DO 2012
Oregon Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, Lebanon OR, DO 2011
Pennsylvania Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine at Seton Hill University, Greensburg PA, DO 2011

This is the list of developing osteopathic schools from wikipedia...

Missouri Southern State University KCUMB Partnership, Joplin MS, DO 2012
Oregon Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, Lebanon OR, DO 2011
Pennsylvania Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine at Seton Hill University, Greensburg PA, DO 2011

If I'm not mistaken, Seton Hill is already up and running.

While I'm happy to see schools opening up to alleviate the physician shortage in this country, this growth will be a disaster unless residency programs expand as well.

Agreed. There's a chart somewhere on the SDN forums that show that DO and MD student enrollment is growing at an appreciable rate. I think it was like 60% or something for DOs in the last seven years or something. Crazy! They should really expand the number of residency spots.

I wish they were accepting students outside of the region because I would have loved to have a shot at going there.

Not sure there is a geo preference didn't hear anythng of the sort when they came to BSU

This is my #1 choice as far as cyberspace is concerned

At least they have enough sense to put the campus next to a large teaching hospital and have a real affiliation with it. That can't be said for the other branch campuses in this country.

Exactly. This is actually the first branch campus/new pop-up I've been excited about because they are (for all things considered) doing it the right way. Clinical situation figured out -> open med school, NOT the other way around.

I know... I already deferred a year from an eastern school to go to PNWU and if the Lebanon school had been opened I would have gone there for sure. My wife already likes having me home so much she wants me to withdraw and reapply to Lebanon... if she keeps it up she may even convince me to do so since it does make a lot of good sense except I will lose yet another year of my career.

I know... I already deferred a year from an eastern school to go to PNWU and if the Lebanon school had been opened I would have gone there for sure. My wife already likes having me home so much she wants me to withdraw and reapply to Lebanon... if she keeps it up she may even convince me to do so since it does make a lot of good sense except I will lose yet another year of my career.

Maybe you can do a masters or something in the interim??

I've heard that about Bama too....I think that one is supposed to be setting up shop at Troy.

That's what I heard as well. Hopefully they can get it done. Troy would be a perfect fit. Alabama is hurting more than a lot of places for rural physicians.

Maybe you can do a masters or something in the interim??

Well since I quit my cushy salaried research/engineering job of four years this summer to attend school back east (and then deferred to PNWU on the first day of orientation for the class of 2014 :laugh:) I have been working as a nursing assistant (let's just say an "eye opening" job). I really have little desire to get a masters in anything except biomechanical or chemical engineering which would take a full two years, and I'm not sure it would add much to my abilities as a physician.

If I do decide to do something crazy and reapply again this spring to the Western Lebanon Campus I would just spend the extra year traveling, hiking, and doing odds and ends to fix up the house. The main reasons I don't do it already is that I risk not getting accepted, I lose yet another year of my career as a physician, my family already thinks I'm a crazy life long student who put off medical school way too long and left my "nice" engineering career that had great stocks, vacation, and work hours, and that after withdrawing from a school back east to attend a school closer to family just to then withdraw again to attend a school only 20 miles from my home the admissions at Western may see all that and think I can't commit to anything and may discount me immediately as an applicant sending me back to square one with the MCAT and all that stress.

I basically exchanged my acceptance for a deferred acceptance and now I would do it again so I could come home to my wife every night if an acceptance to Western Lebanon was a for sure thing, but this time it isn't.

So it boils down to:

Start school this year at PNWU and graduate a year earlier, see my wife every other week:(, and pay a second set of rent and utilities in a city 5 hours away for a minimum of two years. (Her getting another job won't be an "ethical" option since she just started her new night time nursing manager position, which was basically given to her as a favor of sorts to help get me through school.)

or

Withdraw again and reapply to Western Lebanon Campus to be at home with my wife full time, less driving 5 hours each way, and about $700 of savings each month in rent+utilities I would have paid at PNWU. It would cause me to look even crazier to family and friends and I would start when I am 29 thus putting off kids another year as well.:(

Maybe I should start another thread :)

At least they have enough sense to put the campus next to a large teaching hospital and have a real affiliation with it. That can't be said for the other branch campuses in this country.

Fair enough

For anyone who may do a search like I did, Alabama has gotten the go ahead for the osteopathic medical school. Set for Fall 2012. It'll be located in Dothan,AL since the Dothan hosptial Southeast Alabama Medical Center is backing it. If you do a google search, you can read a couple of articles about it, but that's about it so far.

For anyone who may do a search like I did, Alabama has gotten the go ahead for the osteopathic medical school. Set for Fall 2012. It'll be located in Dothan,AL since the Dothan hosptial Southeast Alabama Medical Center is backing it. If you do a google search, you can read a couple of articles about it, but that's about it so far.

Is construction still planning to start next month?

That's what I heard as well. Hopefully they can get it done. Troy would be a perfect fit. Alabama is hurting more than a lot of places for rural physicians.

The school will be in Dothan, Alabama. It will be associated with Southeast Alabama Medical Center (SAMC).

http://www.samc.org/index.php/ourhospital/acom.html

There has been some friction from the MD schools in our state over the proposed Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM), but with the election of our new governor this past November, Robert Bentley, MD, things should become easier for them - especially since his son is a DO.

There are more news articles on the proposed school on the internet, and most of them say that they are shooting for a 2012 first class.

Clinical affiliations FOLLOWED by opening a school ... not the other way around. Pretty simple equation, but many times it isn't followed! Nicely done AOCM.

I admittedly have not read the entirety of the replies so I'm probably beating a dead cat by saying this. You are an excellent applicant at many schools with your current statistics. Even if you score mid-20's on the MCAT there is no reason you won't be accepted to an established school.

Your ECs are literally your saving grace. With experience (if it's significant) as an RN and a solid amount of volunteer/shadowing activities you are certain to garner interest from the admissions community.

Why are people excited about:

a) flooding the market with new DO schools
b) attending these new schools.

Attend a well-established school. Period. Residency slots are not expanding to keep up with medical school output, and you may be very, very disappointed with what you get out of the process.

Who wants to attend med school where the only option is a poor match rate into family practice? Seriously, that's what some med students are facing circa 2015, yet, they'll be popping 300k in loans and have no idea about the primary care hell that awaits them....and have no choice in the matter.

Why are people excited about:

a) flooding the market with new DO schools
b) attending these new schools.

Attend a well-established school. Period. Residency slots are not expanding to keep up with medical school output, and you may be very, very disappointed with what you get out of the process.

Who wants to attend med school where the only option is a poor match rate into family practice? Seriously, that's what some med students are facing circa 2015, yet, they'll be popping 300k in loans and have no idea about the primary care hell that awaits them....and have no choice in the matter.

Plenty of people actually want to do primary care, but I do agree.