Any news from Baylor - anyone?? anyone?!!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Spacecadet,

So are you suggesting that everyone who interviewed but has not heard back yet will get the waitlisted letter sometime this month? I was under the impression (hopefully not a dilusional impression) that acceptances were still possible through March and even into April.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that they have already filled all their spots. It's the waitlist game from here on out....

Son of a BIITCH!!!!+pissed+ +pissed+ +pissed+

Where did you hear this?

Members don't see this ad :)
A member of the admissions committee.

"I heard that they have already filled all their spots. It's the waitlist game from here on out.... "

well, that's bad news if true...has anyone else heard the same thing?:confused:

I just called the admissions office and the woman I spoke to said that she hadn't heard that, and that they were stilling accepting people.

Is this true, or is it just the admissions party line?

I got my pre-interview rejection yesterday. I would have gotten it sooner probably if Denver hadn't been buried under three feet of snow.

I know someone still waiting to hear. She's been in contact with Baylor and they are still deciding whether or not to accept people...

bump

any news anyone?

Called this monring, and they're still accepting people. I'm holding my breath.

Originally posted by wazupshah
Called this monring, and they're still accepting people. I'm holding my breath.

Thanks for the update...holding my breath with you

Mighty, allow me to flip the bill this time....

B-U-M-P.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed my interviewer asking if there is anything I could do right now other than wait and he told me that all the interviewees have been ranked and they're waiting for people to turn down acceptances before accepting people. So now is a good time to send in a letter of intent even if you haven't been officially waitlisted yet.

I called yesterday and the lady told me they were still offering seats in the class. I guess we keep getting fed different stories. If nothing else, some people have been turning down their Baylor acceptances so those spots may be filled before May 15. The wait goes on...:rolleyes:

Wow, this thread was buried eight pages deep. Just bumping this up incase anybody has new info to share to ease the anxiety (or create more of it).:)

Anyone have any success with a letter of interest/intent?

Originally posted by wazupshah
Anyone have any success with a letter of interest/intent?

Hey wazupshah - still waiting eh. I sent Baylor a letter of intent (complete with a statement that I will withdraw from my other schools, ect) and listing why Baylor is the school for me. Each day I think 'today is the day' when I will at least hear something but, as of yet, no texas love coming my way. If they are still your top choice I don't see how a letter of intent can hurt. Good luck in the waiting (I'm also an out-of-stater like you);)

Mighty, mighty, mighty....Where did we go wrong? Was it that we cared too much? Set our hearts on that one, unattainable medical school that was just out of reach....

(que - inspirational music) (spot light on Wazupshah)

SOMEWHERRRRRRE, OVER IN TEXAS... SKIES ARE BLUE. THERES A PLACE THATS CALLED BAYLOR, WHY CANT I GO THERE TOO.

(music fades out, lights back on)

Sorry, got kinda melodramatic there for a second. I'll....uh....catch you later.

So I just talked to a lady in the admissions office and she said that some letters were sent out to me yesterday, telling me that I am on the "alternate list". Does anyone know (maybe from previous years) how many people are on this list, how one goes about finding out where they are on the list, or how many people typically make it off the list?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

ms. a,
I heard that in years past they ususally have as much as 120 on the alt list. I don't know how many they take off it though. It probably depends on the year. Good Luck!

So can we assume that those of us who have not heard anything yet will be getting one of those alternate list letters?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but IIRC from last year, everyone who interviewed got on the alternate list. Also, they wouldn't tell me where I was on the list. And, they didn't make calls until after May 15 - at least not that I heard of. Hang in there.

EDIT - I just went back and read last year's thread. Nearly everyone who interviews gets on the alternate list. :)

Pam

here come the alternate list letters, got mine today

I got mine too. Booo.

Hi everyone waiting for Baylor,
I just met three people this weekend who were waitlisted at Baylor but eventually got in. They told me that there are quite a few people who do get in off the waitlist. :D
Keep up the faith!
Good Luck!:clap:

Were these people that got off the list this year, or in previous years?

Called 'em this morning and found out I'm on the Waitlist too.
Oh well. What are you gunna do.

Hey everyone,
Sorry about the vagueness! They are attending Baylor now as first years so they were waitlisted last year. FYI they didn't get off the waitlist until May 15th. I guess it's waiting until then!

anyone hear of any waitlist movement yet? I know it's early, but still...

The word on the street is that Baylor has pretty good waitlist movement but how much of this is out-of-state movement? I have tried to search for some rough estimates but haven't had much luck. If somebody knows what non-Texan movement is like I would appreciate it. thanks :)

I've 'heard' most of the movement is out of state.

Who have you 'heard' this from? Just students? Or actually admissions committee members?

This makes sense based on a statement off their webpage:

Entering students must submit a nonrefundable tuition deposit of $300 by May 15 to hold their place in the class. In deference to alternate wait-listed applicants, no places are offered to individuals already holding a place at another medical school in Texas after June 1.

Since most Texas residents will probably have been accepted to a UT school, I expect most waitlist movement to occur out-of-state.

Originally posted by ms. a
Who have you 'heard' this from? Just students? Or actually admissions committee members?
from another SDNer, either rjhtamu or bujji13 who was told that at their interview. it is deep within the Texas Pre-Med thread somewhere and I believe these guys to be credible sources.

It makes sense to me. Most TX people at this point have probably chosen between Baylor and the TMDSAS school they matched to so they can go ahead and start planning their move. The majority of instate movement will probably come from those who get accpeted out of state at this point and choose to go to that school over Baylor. Very few TX residents in general go out of state (less than 200 I think, this can be found on the AAMC site) Many of the out of state students accpeted to baylor will also be accepted to more top tier schools which creates more movement once they go down to one choice. many are probably waiting on financial aid info.

So what about someone who is a Texas resident but didn't do the Texas match thing because they didn't have 2 years of bio, as required by all Texas state schools but not Baylor? Do you think that Baylor cares at all about the fact that I have not been accepted into any Texas school? If so should I try to tell them that, and who should I tell?

Ms. a -- it's not an issue of you being a Texas resident. The question is if you are currently hold a position at a Texas school or not. Baylor has that information via AMCAS so you don't need to do anything. For people that are currently accepted at another Texas school, and waitlisted at Baylor, it is the policy of all Texas schools (at least this was the case 2 years ago) that they don't accept people off the waitlist after June 1.

As far as typical waitlist movement, it just depends. Some years it's good, some years it isn't, ie, if they have the class oversubscribed or something, which happened about 2 years ago.

Hey Lily, glad to see you are still around. How's my nubian named princess doing???

Anyways, the same policy held last year about June 1st. As I recall, nobody got of the list before then, so if you are an out of stater, that sure bodes well.

Originally posted by Jalby

Anyways, the same policy held last year about June 1st. As I recall, nobody got of the list before then, so if you are an out of stater, that sure bodes well.

I don't quite understand how the Texas waiting list movement being finished by June 1 helps the out of staters - aren't the groups separate, both for admissions and alternate lists (since Baylor has a cap on the out of staters it can accept)?

Just wondering because I didn't think they had sent out any rejections yet, but I heard of someone who got one...

Originally posted by tej77
Just wondering because I didn't think they had sent out any rejections yet, but I heard of someone who got one...

A friend of mine who interviewed on the same day as me received a rejection letter a few days ago (we are both out of staters).

Thanks mighty mo.....

Originally posted by mightymo
I don't quite understand how the Texas waiting list movement being finished by June 1 helps the out of staters - aren't the groups separate, both for admissions and alternate lists (since Baylor has a cap on the out of staters it can accept)?

If i remember correctly; ~70% of the people they interview are instate and ~30% are out of state so that is where they make the big cut between in and out of state. As for June 1, any spot that opens up after that date at Baylor must be filled by someone from out of state or an instater who did not receive a spot at another texas school(not very likely unless they didn't apply anywhere else in texas)

Originally posted by vivekap2007
If i remember correctly; ~70% of the people they interview are instate and ~30% are out of state so that is where they make the big cut between in and out of state. As for June 1, any spot that opens up after that date at Baylor must be filled by someone from out of state or an instater who did not receive a spot at another texas school(not very likely unless they didn't apply anywhere else in texas)

Thanks for the info vivekap:)

bump

anyone heard anything recently?

Originally posted by ms. a
bump

anyone heard anything recently?

Still no news...the alternate list letters we received suggested that some movement may be possible towards the end of April but I would be surprised if it's anything significant