Any news from Boston University at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctora Foxy

Meow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anything? If you have been accepted, rejected (post-interview) or waitlisted, PLEASE post when.

Me--interviewed Dec 4th, received the acceptable letter Dec. 11th, and still waiting.... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Foxy-

I interviewed Oct. 23rd and still haven't heard anything! Thankfully, I got into my #1 off the waitlist and that allowed me to send BU a quasi-nasty letter stating that I thought it was absurd that they thought they could get away with what they did:

Here's the letter --

• •••quote:••• It is that time of year when applicants are asked to make extremely difficult decisions regarding which school we will attend in the fall. As such, it would be prudent to inform you and your office that I am formally withdrawing my application from the Boston University School of Medicine. It should be stated, however, that I was extremely disappointed in your school?s complete lack of communication with me as an applicant. After my interview, I received notice that I was being looked at favorably. Since receiving that letter sometime last November, I have not heard anything from your school whatsoever. In fact, it has now been at least 5 weeks since I heard from the last school to which I applied and nearly two months since I heard from the last school I interviewed at. In the end, keeping applicants in the proverbial dark until mid May seems grossly unfair and inappropriate. Therefore, it is without hesitation that I wish to withdraw my application, effective immediately. For the record, I will be attending the University Of Pennsylvania School Of Medicine come August 2002.

Thank you for your time and I wish everyone in your office good luck with this fall?s entering class.
• ••••

haha, that's tooooooooooooo funnny

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for writing it, GG16. I'm glad someone had the guts to tell them how rude they are. That was an awesome letter! :clap:

Thanks!

I was kinda going for something a bit saucy without going too far -- ya know, for trauma surgery (what I want to do) -- Boston city hospital is a great place. So . . . I didn't want to be offensive! :wink:

Foxy, did you get one of those cryptic letters that sounded like a waitlist notification but didn't say that it was? I interviewed sometime in Jan/Feb, and got this strange letter a few weeks later. I had heard they accepted a bunch of students mid-Feb, and sent this letter out to the students they didn't accept or outright reject (if any). But I thought it said something about notifying us in May, didn't it? I probably won't hear now anyway though, since I withdrew last week.

I only got the letter saying I was an "acceptable candidate" and I would hear on Feb 15th. I went crazy with excitement on that day. Nothing happened. I remember a few SDNers got accepted in early February and it made me cry. Then I forgot about BU, and it seems like they forgot about me too. I'm pretty sure we'll hear within the next few weeks though (well, those of us that didn't withdraw :wink: ).

I'm also a victim of the BU super slow response. I was interviewed in mid December, received an acceptability letter about 2 weeks afterwards.
No words thereafter... It's 100USD in bad investment.

Just want to share my story. I interviewed OCTOBER 15 and haven't heard anything since the "acceptable" letter!! When I called them a few months later they said "no decision has been made yet on your app." How can it take them 7 months to decide?? I agree this school has one of the most unethical admissions processes. :confused:

Ug! What is wrong with them!

I thought it was bad enough when I was applying last time, that they ask for a hundred dollar check on their secondary and nothing else. And, the only info they sent was a poorly copied piece of paper! Jeez!

Good luck to you guys! I know a guy at work who is in the same boat. He's been waiting forever!

They also asked for a wallet-sized photo. :wink:

It was like joining a modeling agency...just send your money and a portfolio and we'll ignore you over after that!

Boston University Modeling Agency

They've started sending letters to accepted students regarding final decisions. There is a deadline imposed... now until June 15 for people to surrender the intitial deposit, so I'm betting there will be a lot more acceptance letters on the way during that period and especially a few days after the deadline.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by showeeeeeeeee:
• And, the only info they sent was a poorly copied piece of paper! Jeez! •••••A $100 for an absolutely lame xerox copy was a TOTAL f***ing ripoff! :mad:

It seems absolutely absurd that schools can admit people (i.e. non-waitlisted acceptances) after May 15th. :confused:

I am sure that they're candidates that would have seriously considered BU before they were accepted at X # of other schools -- I wasn't totally honest in my above letter -- I hope BU and the other seriously tardy schools have a really tough time finding good candidates. Shame on them!
:D

K2002-

I'm with you as far as the october interview and no response (except for that lame 'acceptable candidate letter).

From what I know about the BU admissions process--which does not make a whole lot of sense to me-- they have 2 rounds of acceptances. The first in February, and the second in June. I don't know how they can rationalize accepting people after the May 15th deadline, but they do. BU is a great med school (minus the insane tuition), but as someone who is probably going to go there in the fall, I think they do themselves a big disservice by not accepting more people prior to May 15. Many interested students end up going elsewhere cuz they no longer can wait to hear back past May 15, and many who are holding on are put in agonizing situations.

I wish you all luck, and may BU come to their senses!!

Hey, encee - I thought somebody said recently that BU would send out another batch of acceptances in May - is it really not until June? How did you find that out? Thanks!!

I agree that BUSM needs to revise their process. I think that for the people they want, they are extremely gracious and timely. I waited 8 days from the time I submitted my secondary until I had an interview letter (and I applied late fall). I had an interview in December and 2 follow-up letters before an acceptance came in mid-February. It frustrates me to know that they have instituted a "tiered" system whereby some students get attention and others are allowed to languish. I do feel that the technology level in the admissions office is well behind the times, due in large part to an aging staff who still schedules interviews on paper. I hope they don't think that because 9300 people are trying for 100 spots that they can behave this way...ugh. Bureaucracy. I must say that Tufts behaved poorly towards me-- they kept me hanging for 6 months.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by botticelli:
•Hey, encee - I thought somebody said recently that BU would send out another batch of acceptances in May - is it really not until June? How did you find that out? Thanks!!•••••Perhaps BU is going to send out the next batch of acceptances in May. I know in the past they have sent acceptances in June. I have many friends who are med students at BU, plus I was a grad student there. But you know every year the admissions procedures can vary--it BU is smart, they should accept people sooner than later!

Hey m2006, are you going to BU in the fall? If not then where are you off to?

I have been accepted and am still wavering but I haven't received any letter....they don't require a deposit though so you aren't giving anything up by telling them after may 15th....they still haven't gotten financial aid packages out?@#$

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctora Foxy:
•Anything? If you have been accepted, rejected (post-interview) or waitlisted, PLEASE post when.
•••••If you have gotten in, please post your interview date and date of acceptance. Thanks. :)

interview date: October 23
accepted: February 8

most likely will be declining my acceptance unless i have a sudden change of heart btwn now and tomorrow morning. good luck!

I've heard something from BU. I think I"ve posted this before, but I was accepted late march after interviewing at the end of Jan. I think it's pretty crappy that they're keeping everyone waiting into May.
By the way, I just got my financial aid package the other day: not very promising, especially since they estimate the tuition and fees to increase by $2,000 each year. By the time I would graduate, the 'estimated' tuition and fees is something like $42,500. How ridiculous is that? I called the lady at financial services and she said that the tuition hasn't changed the last three years, and they don't know that it will be that expensive in 2005-6, but that they 'estimate' the student budget by increasing tuition by 5% each year. Does anyone know if other schools do that? It seemed a little bit ridiculous. I mean $43,000 for one year of school? Does that seem just plain ridiculous?