Any news from Case alternate list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corndog67

Second Job=Garden Gnome
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to see if anyone has found out any new info about the alternate list at Case Western. I have bugged the admissions office enough already, and I wanted to see if anyone else knows more than I. Are we all waiting for the May 15 deadline or has there been movement already? Any info helps, thanks!

Also, I can't believe when they tell me that it's an unranked alternate list. It would be very time consuming to review all apps for every spot that opens up. The school keeps telling me it's unranked but has anyone heard differently?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I can't believe when they tell me that it's an unranked alternate list. It would be very time consuming to review all apps for every spot that opens up. The school keeps telling me it's unranked but has anyone heard differently?

I can't help with Case's Hold List, but I can maybe help some with the concept of the "unranked" list. In speaking to an admissions director once, he told me that his school doesn't rank the list because they see their class as a colorful abstract painting (a little corny, I know ;) ). He said that they want a little of this, and a little of that, such that they wind up with certain proportions of tech types, hard science types, artsy types, community service types, etc.

Thus, his school doesn't rank the list but does sort of secretly separate out the students into "types." Then, once May 15th rolls around, they look out who the matriculants will be, and then see what "types" they are now missing. They then go to the waitlist and try to patch the holes with "types" that are now missing.

I don't think there has been any movement. But we're not waiting for May15th, it's May 1st for Case. So hopefully something will come up in the mext two weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that they said you would receive a decision by may 1st, but I think that meant Accept, Reject, or alternate list. They pretty much have to wait for may 15th because that's when a lot of people are going to drop acceptances. Case is no different I would think.

I know that they said you would receive a decision by may 1st, but I think that meant Accept, Reject, or alternate list. They pretty much have to wait for may 15th because that's when a lot of people are going to drop acceptances. Case is no different I would think.

No, during the interview they said you have to make a decision by May 1st since their classes start so early. So after May 1st Case students can no longer hold multiple acceptances.

Well, here's hoping for some good news soon. Thanks!

good luck everyone!...Case is my first choice this upcoming application cycle

Out of curiosity, how many times have you waitlisters checked the iapply status page? If they saw how many times I've checked it, I'd be worried that they would think I have OCD. =)

What's the point in checking it? You get that nice little reminder e-mail.

Out of curiosity, how many times have you waitlisters checked the iapply status page? If they saw how many times I've checked it, I'd be worried that they would think I have OCD. =)

What's the point in checking it? You get that nice little reminder e-mail.

I know that, but you get that reminder email at the end of the day, and the status changes in the morning. Ok, well maybe I do have a little OCD.

Well not so much lately, but up until the point I was officially placed on the alternate list I was pretty obsessive about it.

Anyone talk to Christian or have any info regarding how many are typically taken off the list?

I e-mailed Christian about 2 weeks ago and he said he wouldn't have any numbers until after May 1st. Good luck everyone - hopefully we'll all be classmates in the fall