Any news from OHSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Little Rascal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything, particularly in-state applicants? I took the Aug MCAT, and I'm in-state so are we probably not going to hear until the new year?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Little Rascal said:
Has anyone heard anything, particularly in-state applicants? I took the Aug MCAT, and I'm in-state so are we probably not going to hear until the new year?
Thanks!
I am oos, August MCAT and haven't heard anything. I was in Portland for Turkey Day, so I left a flaming bag of poo on their doorstep. Don't worry Rascal, I put your name on it too!

gdbaby said:
I am oos, August MCAT and haven't heard anything. I was in Portland for Turkey Day, so I left a flaming bag of poo on their doorstep. Don't worry Rascal, I put your name on it too!

Good job. That'll show them, for not holding interviews the week of thanksgiving!

Members don't see this ad :)
Little Rascal said:
Thanks!

Are you waiting for a secondary, interview, or admission decision? I interviewed on Oct 18. They told me I would hear something in 4-6 weeks. Yesterday was 6 weeks. They were also the last school to send me a secondary application. I did get an interview quickly however once my secondary was in. They are not fast but they will get to you!

I wouldn't sweat it yet. OHSU indicated to our interview group that they are very committed to giving everyone an equal chance, regardless of when they interview. Hopefully we'll be classmates next fall. Good luck!

robh said:
Are you waiting for a secondary, interview, or admission decision? I interviewed on Oct 18. They told me I would hear something in 4-6 weeks. Yesterday was 6 weeks. They were also the last school to send me a secondary application. I did get an interview quickly however once my secondary was in. They are not fast but they will get to you!

I wouldn't sweat it yet. OHSU indicated to our interview group that they are very committed to giving everyone an equal chance, regardless of when they interview. Hopefully we'll be classmates next fall. Good luck!
I'm still waiting to hear about an interview, I was complete about 3-4 weeks ago, I received the postcard that said 'may take up to 12 weeks'. Congratulations on the interview, are you out of state? How did the interview go? I've heard they are pretty low stress. Good luck and yeah that would be killer if we were classmates next year!!!

Little Rascal said:
I'm still waiting to hear about an interview, I was complete about 3-4 weeks ago, I received the postcard that said 'may take up to 12 weeks'. Congratulations on the interview, are you out of state? How did the interview go? I've heard they are pretty low stress. Good luck and yeah that would be killer if we were classmates next year!!!

I'm from Oregon. I got the same card back in September. The interview was fine. It was my first interview. I am more polished now than I was then, but it was still good. It was reasonably formal but no stress questions. Everyone was very kind to me. Be yourself. Put your best foot forward. Don't be nervous, there is no need!

I'll tell you what the Dean told my interview group, perhaps it will ease your mind somewhat concerning your application. OHSU techically doesn't have a rolling admission. They wait until everyone has interviewed for the current cycle. They rank everyone first to last based on the adcom criteria. Then they start working down the list until the class is full. This ranking process occurs in the April-May timeframe. There are two exceptions to this. First, if they decide after interviewing you that they definately do NOT want you, they will reject you immediately (4-6 weeks). Likewise, if your admission score is so high that they are certain they would offer you an admission in the spring, they will offer it immediately (4-6 weeks). Being admitted immediately is apparently the exception rather than the rule. My impression was that he was talking about the top 10-20% of interviewees. The reason they do it this way is to ensure that everyone has an equal chance to be admitted, regardless of when they interview. This is good news for you. You should not be at a disadvantage because you are applying later than some others.

The waiting is killing me too. I'm about to go check the mailbox. I've developed a love-hate relationship with my local USPS representative...Maybe today will be the day? :scared:

i'm in-state and got an invite last week, so maybe they're beginning another cycle. i read somewhere on here that after the inteview there is no distinction between oregon residents and oos people in the adcom meetings -- anyone know if that's true?

I'm OOS and an April MCAT test taker. I'm actually packing my bags as we speak for Portland and LA. I have a long interview day at OHSU on Tuesday, December 6th, for the MD/MPH combined degree program. I'll let you know how it goes, and I wish you the best in hearing back from them soon!

oldprospector said:
i'm in-state and got an invite last week, so maybe they're beginning another cycle. i read somewhere on here that after the inteview there is no distinction between oregon residents and oos people in the adcom meetings -- anyone know if that's true?

From US News for Fall 2004 at OHSU:

Residency | Applied | Interviewed | Accepted | Acceptance Rate (after interview)
in-state | 342 | 174 | 62 | 36%
oos | 2613 | 345 | 147 | 43%

As you can see, once you have an interview at OHSU, its pretty close to a level playing field between in and out-of-state applicants. OOS's have a slight advantage. Generally I think this advantage reflects the fact that it is a LOT easier for in-state applicant to get an interview. If you are from out of state and get an interview, your application is very competitive.

robh said:
From US News for Fall 2004 at OHSU:

Residency | Applied | Interviewed | Accepted | Acceptance Rate (after interview)
in-state | 342 | 174 | 62 | 36%
oos | 2613 | 345 | 147 | 43%

As you can see, once you have an interview at OHSU, its pretty close to a level playing field between in and out-of-state applicants. OOS's have a slight advantage. Generally I think this advantage reflects the fact that it is a LOT easier for in-state applicant to get an interview. If you are from out of state and get an interview, your application is very competitive.

Thanks, robh. So if you're in-state, once you get an interview your chances are about 1 in 3, not bad. I think up until about 2000, the class was something more like 70% in-state and 30% out of state, though.

Little Rascal said:
Thanks, robh. So if you're in-state, once you get an interview your chances are about 1 in 3, not bad. I think up until about 2000, the class was something more like 70% in-state and 30% out of state, though.

Yes, I believe that is true. The state cut funding and OHSU became a public corporation. Since then, I think OHSU has kind of given Oregon the finger. I can't say that I blame them. OHSU has to survive like a private school now (mostly). As a result, they are trying very hard to be a top tier research center and medical school. Part of that is attracting the very best students possible.

This is one of my top choices, but I have not heard from them since the yellow card in September. Also, their application procedure seems to move a little slower than others as a lot of it is not automated...

Members don't see this ad :)
they don't interview any OOS applicants with below a 3.6-3.7 GPA and 32 MCAT. they have strict cutoffs, but they don't tell you this on the secondary. i think they make exceptions for the MD/MPH program.

caffeine37 said:
they don't interview any OOS applicants with below a 3.6-3.7 GPA and 32 MCAT. they have strict cutoffs, but they don't tell you this on the secondary. i think they make exceptions for the MD/MPH program.

Well that's just mean of them not to tell you. :(

caffeine37 said:
according to the admissions office, they don't interview any OOS applicants with below a 3.6-3.7 GPA and 32 MCAT (strict cutoffs). however, i think they make exceptions for the MD/MPH program.

Is this true? How do you know? I am distraught....

tacrum43 said:
Well that's just mean of them not to tell you. :(

how do i know: i called the admissions office. they told me that haven't interviewed any OOS applicants with lower than those numbers in the past several years...so basically 0 percent chance, but they don't mention this on the secondary. :(

caffeine37 said:
how do i know: i called the admissions office. they told me that haven't interviewed any OOS applicants with lower than those numbers in the past several years...so basically 0 percent chance, but they don't mention this on the secondary. :(

So what if you have one but not the other? Hmmmm?

instate here and my stats are in my profile below. received the complete postcard in late october and have yet to hear anything else. if i don't get an interview, i think i'll join all those other people who write letters to the paper stating that ohsu should stop getting state support. :) i wonder how many of those people are disgruntled ohsu applicants. ;)

caffeine37 said:
oh no....that sucks!! and here i am waiting to hear from ohsu...anyday now! (puh lease...)
aww why dont they tell us stuff like this?

coco said:
oh no....that sucks!! and here i am waiting to hear from ohsu...anyday now! (puh lease...)
aww why dont they tell us stuff like this?

that's lame. won't be checking my mailbox for mail from OHSU anymore (except for my rejection letter). what a bummer (and waste of money).

wow, i'm in-state but i don't think that is fair to you out of staters not to know that they have a cut-off. it must be an 'unofficial' cutoff, because it would just be wrong not to state that clearly for applicants to know.

caffeine37 said:

They probably do have a strict cutoff, but my friend (who is OOS) has stats that are lower and is interviewing next month. Not sure what his numbers are exactly, but I know that they are lower. So, don't lose hope!

Any got accepted yet? I am anxiously waiting to hear from OHSU about their decision (immediate acceptance, hold, or rejected). My invitation for interview came right around 1 month after my postcard, and I am an in-state. I interviewed in Mid-Nov. and am supposed to hear back from them between 4-6 weeks. I am very curious to know if anyone get accepted already, and what your interview experience and stats. I'd really appreciate it.

For those of you who are still waiting, good luck and don't lose hope. And the good news is that it does not matter when you interview, you have equal chance of getting in. I totally didn't expect to get an interview from OHSU at all.

exlawgrrl said:
instate here and my stats are in my profile below. received the complete postcard in late october and have yet to hear anything else. if i don't get an interview, i think i'll join all those other people who write letters to the paper stating that ohsu should stop getting state support. :) i wonder how many of those people are disgruntled ohsu applicants. ;)

I'm also from Oregon and like to complain. Here's my latest: I interviewed a couple weeks ago and during the lunch with students (about 12: half in-state, half out) asked if the rumor about almost all OR residents getting waitlisted was true. The OOS crew got kind of irritated, told me that was absurd, and then took a quick poll of the people in the room...turned out every OOSer was admitted right away while every Oregonian had been waitlisted (usually until mid-June/July). Awkward. Any of you guys heard anything about this?

oldprospector said:
I'm also from Oregon and like to complain. Here's my latest: I interviewed a couple weeks ago and during the lunch with students (about 12: half in-state, half out) asked if the rumor about almost all OR residents getting waitlisted was true. The OOS crew got kind of irritated, told me that was absurd, and then took a quick poll of the people in the room...turned out every OOSer was admitted right away while every Oregonian had been waitlisted (usually until mid-June/July). Awkward. Any of you guys heard anything about this?

That will be really terrible. I know two friends who are both in-state. One got an immediate acceptance and is currenly attending, and one got on the hold pile, and then rejected in May. So I don't really know if that rumor is true. Will be interesting to know.

ifkt355 said:
That will be really terrible. I know two friends who are both in-state. One got an immediate acceptance and is currenly attending, and one got on the hold pile, and then rejected in May. So I don't really know if that rumor is true. Will be interesting to know.

Thanks. You could tell this was a really touchy subject up there -- lots of indignation from the OOS side and lots of eye-rolling from OR people. I wouldn't doubt if some kind of West Side Story-style rumble is in their near future.

oldprospector said:

i believe it. if you look at usnews info, it appears that virtually every oregon resident accepts a spot if offered one, whereas most out of state people don't. so my hunch is that they wind up with 60% or so of their class being from oregon just because a lot of us hang out longer on the waitlist. to think that other people actually live in states that appreciate their instate applicants.

oldprospector said:

I'm in-state. I interviewed in October, and I'm on the waitlist. N=1...

I've wondered about this also. What motivation do they have to admit me right away? None. They can abuse me until June and they have a high degree of certainty I'll matriculate regardless of other offers I've received. God I hope I don't have to wait until June. Case Western starts on July 10. This could really bite.

im out of state. came back into town today and found a thin letter from ohsu. opened it and it was an acceptance!!! OMG.OMG.OMG...so =) i was jumping up and down. lol.

they said 4-6 wks--but they made the decision a little before 3 weeks. it was dated the 7th. interviewed nov 1Xth.

caffeine37 said:

but if you look at the stats on mdapplicants, there are plenty of people who have lower number in either or both of those criteria. What's up with that? I wouldn't have applied if they had those cutoffs

ahumdinger said:
but if you look at the stats on mdapplicants, there are plenty of people who have lower number in either or both of those criteria. What's up with that? I wouldn't have applied if they had those cutoffs

according to the person i talked to, they haven't interviewed any OOS students with lower than those numbers.

maybe those students on mdapplicants were applying MD/MPH (less strict cutoffs)

I am an August MCATer from Oregon, comleted my sec. application October 18. I got post card about completed file on December 2 . It took for them 1.5 month to send a card! Now they are saying to wait 12 more weeks to hear about interwiev. This waiting is just killing me!

I am an OR resident and received my acceptance immediately (no waitlist) last year. I have no idea if it is true that they place more OR residents on the waitlist first. Also, I have posted this before, but our class ('09) is ~60% in-state, reversing the trend of recent years (possibly due to pressure from the legislature). No idea if they will continue that this year, but it may give some of you OR residents a gleam of hope that OHSU hasn't forsaken its people completely yet. I remember well cursing the whole "public corporation" crap last year while waiting to hear from them. It really is a great school though and I'm pretty happy here. Good luck!

Little Rascal said:
Anything new anyone??? This sucks...

Nope.

I'm getting things rolling for the move to Cleveland... I can get into Case in December but not my own state school... Well, there's still hope for May.

caffeine37 said:

nevermind

robh said:
Nope.

I'm getting things rolling for the move to Cleveland... I can get into Case in December but not my own state school... Well, there's still hope for May.

my husband thinks ohsu's adcom is too busy snowboarding to review our apps. i'm starting to think he's on to something. well, the 12 weeks is up for me in late january, so i should know something by then. i'm already assuming that if i get an interview, it'll lead to a waitlist and maybe then an okay shot at acceptance. either way, i won't know much for a while.

exlawgrrl said:
my husband thinks ohsu's adcom is too busy snowboarding to review our apps.
:laugh:

As I'm sure you know, OHSU loves more mature applicants. You have a history of success in graduate school, great grades, and an awesome mcat score. You're from Oregon. You will get an interview. Have no fear! You are totally in the sweet spot for OHSU.

I'm surprised I haven't bumped into you at PSU. Maybe I have, but I think I would remember a JD turning MD.

robh said:
I'm surprised I haven't bumped into you at PSU. Maybe I have, but I think I would remember a JD turning MD.

i keep the jd thing on the down low because people tend to look at me like i have two heads. :) if you take night classes, i wouldn't be surprised if we had some overlap, but i did take my prereqs in a totally screwed up manner so maybe not. i don't think i'm going to take any courses next quarter, so i'll have psu withdrawal. ;)

i'm sure you'll get in off the waitlist -- it just stinks that they're going to make you wait so long.

exlawgrrl said:
i keep the jd thing on the down low because people tend to look at me like i have two heads. :) if you take night classes, i wouldn't be surprised if we had some overlap, but i did take my prereqs in a totally screwed up manner so maybe not. i don't think i'm going to take any courses next quarter, so i'll have psu withdrawal. ;)

i'm sure you'll get in off the waitlist -- it just stinks that they're going to make you wait so long.

I hear you on the 2 heads thing. At 41, people think I've taken leave of my senses. Sometimes I think they're right! :oops:

robh said:
:laugh:

As I'm sure you know, OHSU loves more mature applicants. You have a history of success in graduate school, great grades, and an awesome mcat score. You're from Oregon. You will get an interview. Have no fear! You are totally in the sweet spot for OHSU.

Hey robh, were there many older applicants interviewing with you??? I've heard from many people that OHSU likes older students and especially 'life experience' but it is so subjective...

Shout out to PSUers . . . any Carl Wamser alums?

How on the edge of my seat am I? I'm not just in-state. I'm not just a Portlander. I live on 4th ave., across from the YMCA, at the base of the hill looking up at the campus. Up, the street, nip through the underbrush on an untended cow trail . . . and I'm standing in front of Casey. When I can't sleep I strap on my ipod and wander around the grounds . . .

rsfarrell said:
Shout out to PSUers . . . any Carl Wamser alums?

How on the edge of my seat am I? I'm not just in-state. I'm not just a Portlander. I live on 4th ave., across from the YMCA, at the base of the hill looking up at the campus. Up, the street, nip through the underbrush on an untended cow trail . . . and I'm standing in front of Casey. When I can't sleep I strap on my ipod and wander around the grounds . . .
:laugh: :laugh:

How can you live like that?!

I took O-chem in the summer of '04. The whole year of it in 9 weeks. I'm still finding pieces of my brain after my head exploded. The summer course is taught by Ray Bard from UP. So I didn't have Wamser.

Little Rascal said:
Hey robh, were there many older applicants interviewing with you??? I've heard from many people that OHSU likes older students and especially 'life experience' but it is so subjective...

No, but then at 41, everyone under 30 looks like a kid. I think there were a couple of people that had graduated from UG but recently.

I know one current and one former member of the OHSU adcom. They both told me that OHSU heavily weights maturity in admission decisions. If you look at the USNews.com report on med schools you will see that 80% of OHSU students are non-traditional, that is they did not enter med school straight from an UG program. For comparison, you can look at Northwestern University (Feinberg), where only 15% are non-traditional. These are for the 2004 MSI class.

Hopefully this makes it a little less subjective for you. If you are applying now, you've probably figured out that it's just a big popularity contest, so it's going to be mostly subjective regardless!

Hi, I got the best new year present from OHSU - immediate acceptance!!! I am SO happy and relieved! Still can't believe it...the waiting game is over, I am going to OHSU!!

And to help clarify some of the previous posts about rumor that OHSU put in-staters on hold, I guess that's not quite true, because I am OR resident.

Good luck to all of you and hope to see you this fall!

ifkt355 said:
Hi, I got the best new year present from OHSU - immediate acceptance!!! I am SO happy and relieved! Still can't believe it...the waiting game is over, I am going to OHSU!!

And to help clarify some of the previous posts about rumor that OHSU put in-staters on hold, I guess that's not quite true, because I am OR resident.

Good luck to all of you and hope to see you this fall!
Congratulations ifkt355!
Did you take the Aug MCAT???

Is OHSU running behind this year? It's been over 12 weeks since my application there was complete, and I still haven't received a rejection letter. :confused:

Little Rascal said:
Congratulations ifkt355!
Did you take the Aug MCAT???

Thanks. I took the April MCAT, file completed in late September, I think. Then I got an interview invite exactly 1 month after I received the card, and interviewed in mid-Nov. If you have any more questions, i would be happy to help as much as I can.