Any news from OHSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
robh said:
I just got a call from Debbie Melton (I emailed her). I'm IN! Out of the hold pool! There is hope!

YAY!!!! Congrats! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Woohoo!!! See you in August...congrats!!

Jmeister said:
Woohoo!!! See you in August...congrats!!

Anyone know Debbie Melton's email?

Members don't see this ad :)
robh said:
I just got a call from Debbie Melton (I emailed her). I'm IN! Out of the hold pool! There is hope!

Thatta boy Robh! Congrats! I hope more people get good news soon!

See y'all in the allo class forum!

Cinnameg said:
She didn't say anything about a deposit, right?

There is no deposit required. If there were, it would be in the acceptance letter. Like the letter says, you have the spot unless you tell them you don't want it. No worries.

nmnrraven said:
There is no deposit required. If there were, it would be in the acceptance letter. Like the letter says, you have the spot unless you tell them you don't want it. No worries.

Raven knows better than me. I haven't seen the letter yet. Debbie didn't mention any deposit.

Dr. Weebs said:
I just called Carolyn. She said she couldn't tell me anything and to wait for a letter. I am not waiting for a letter. What's Debbie's email? Could you PM it to me? Thanks man. And congratulations on getting in!!

To everyone who is calling today first of all GOOD LUCK! Second, I have a deferral deadline of TOMORROW at Case. I told Debbie about this a couple of weeks ago and she told me to call her today and she would let me know where I stood in the process. I might be somewhat of a special case in her mind because I need to let Case know this week. I hope they tell you all your status. This waiting game is insane.

And thanks for all your support these last months. I think I would have lost my mind without you guys!

robh said:

woo-hoo!!! Congratulations robh!!! :)

star22 said:

emailed her but haven't heard anything. Do you all think there's any use in trying to call tomorrow. I'm wondering if they're all going to give the same line as Carolyn. Knowing my luck, they have a slow post office, and I won't get the mail until Monday. Right now I don't even care that much about the outcome -- I just want to know!!

exlawgrrl said:
emailed her but haven't heard anything. Do you all think there's any use in trying to call tomorrow. I'm wondering if they're all going to give the same line as Carolyn. Knowing my luck, they have a slow post office, and I won't get the mail until Monday. Right now I don't even care that much about the outcome -- I just want to know!!

Exactly. Just want to know so we can get on with our lives. Acting annoyed that we called.. the nerve. If they didn't take so friggin' long they wouldn't be bombarded with calls and emails. Maybe one of these years they'll figure that out. I'd call tomorrow. If they give you bullcrap about waiting for a letter, ask to speak to someone else until you get a real response. They told me my waitlist # over the phone last year.

exlawgrrl said:

I called Debbie and she told me that if I called tomorrow, they'd be able to tell me what's up. I bet b/c you're in P-town, lawgrrl, you'll have the letter by Sat.
:luck:

I called around 3:30 pacific time and they said I had been "refused." I really wanted to bitch slap that lady for saying the word refused, it's such a slap in the face. I'm an oregon resident and I thought I clicked with one of my interviewers too.....:(

Members don't see this ad :)
pocketdoc said:
I called Debbie and she told me that if I called tomorrow, they'd be able to tell me what's up. I bet b/c you're in P-town, lawgrrl, you'll have the letter by Sat.
:luck:

If they mail it in a normal way, yeah, I should get in on Saturday. If they don't mail the letters until the end of the day and have to send it through some university mail processing center, it might take a little longer. :) I'm calling tomorrow, I guess.

Weebs, you're right -- they do deserve to be bombarded because they take so long. Maybe they should evaluate their admissions system if they think all the calls are a hassle.

nyc525 said:
I called around 3:30 pacific time and they said I had been "refused." I really wanted to bitch slap that lady for saying the word refused, it's such a slap in the face. I'm an oregon resident and I thought I clicked with one of my interviewers too.....:(

I'm sorry. :( You're right, that is a poor way to word it. Surely they could just use the generic denial letter wording and say that they're unable to offer you a spot this year. At least they didn't pull that "qualified" bs on you.

Got a call tonight after emailing Debbie. I was not offered a waitlist spot, so I will be attending U. Virginia. I guess it wasn't meant to be. I'm just glad I at least know what I'm doing with my life now! What a relief. Good luck to all of you at OHSU! Who knows.. I might see you at a residency there. :)

Rob, I'm sorry we're losin' you, but I'm happy for you since I know this is great news for your family. Congrats!

Dr. Weebs said:
Got a call tonight after emailing Debbie. I was not offered a waitlist spot, so I will be attending U. Virginia. I guess it wasn't meant to be. I'm just glad I at least know what I'm doing with my life now! What a relief. Good luck to all of you at OHSU! Who knows.. I might see you at a residency there. :)

Well, closure's good. Congrats on UVA!

exlawgrrl said:
Well, closure's good. Congrats on UVA!

Thanks! I still find it weird that I was a few people dropping out at orientation away from going to OHSU last year, and now after making my resume even better, I was straight up rejected. OHSU is a strange beast. But, I consider myself lucky to even get to go to medical school, let alone one as prestigious as UVA. Good luck to you all. This is sadly my last post in an OHSU thread for a while.

Dr. Weebs said:
Thanks! I still find it weird that I was a few people dropping out at orientation away from going to OHSU last year, and now after making my resume even better, I was straight up rejected. OHSU is a strange beast. But, I consider myself lucky to even get to go to medical school, let alone one as prestigious as UVA. Good luck to you all. This is sadly my last post in an OHSU thread for a while.

That really does illustrate how random the process is. As I recall, you said you spoke with OHSU and did what they suggested and actually had a worse outcome. That's just crazy, but you seem to be taking it well. Virginia will probably be a nice change of scenery for you and the future fiancee ( :) ). It's certainly beautiful there.

I emailed debbie and she says: wait for the mail to arrive...thanks for your patience. How come for some people they tell and for others they don't. -__-

captain_obvious said:
I emailed debbie and she says: wait for the mail to arrive...thanks for your patience. How come for some people they tell and for others they don't. -__-

I've been having some regret about posting in the forum that I heard today. I had a need to know today or early tomorrow. Because of that, I think Debbie made an exception for me. Probably for Weebs as well since he had the lease issue. If I'd known that they weren't going to tell you guys too, I'd have kept it to myself. As it is, I think I've added to the frustration level which is already understandably high. So for that I apologize.

Ehh, what're you going to do? I really do think they should expect the deluge of calls and emails because they take so freakin' long to tell you! I mean, I understand and appreciate the fairness factor behind their process, but it sure stresses us all out!

pocketdoc said:
Ehh, what're you going to do? I really do think they should expect the deluge of calls and emails because they take so freakin' long to tell you! I mean, I understand and appreciate the fairness factor behind their process, but it sure stresses us all out!

No, they should be responsive and willing to answer our emails and phone calls. I sure as hell would get fired from my job if someone called me and asked for a decision and I told them to wait for the letter. :mad: Well, I'm going to call today, and I'm going to be prepared to be pissed off if no one will answer my question. This is the consequence of having the slowest freaking admissions office in the country.

robh said:
I've been having some regret about posting in the forum that I heard today. I had a need to know today or early tomorrow. Because of that, I think Debbie made an exception for me. Probably for Weebs as well since he had the lease issue. If I'd known that they weren't going to tell you guys too, I'd have kept it to myself. As it is, I think I've added to the frustration level which is already understandably high. So for that I apologize.

Honestly, Rob, it's not your fault -- it's their fault for being jerks yet again. I just sort of wish they'd clue in to how rude and insensitive they're being towards their applicants. Do they have a culture of thoughlessness in their admissions office?

robh said:

If anything Robh, you've given us a glimpse of hope!

I just called Debbie's office and spoke with Kathleen -- she said they were unable to offer me a seat in the class. Oh well. Time to plan a move out of state, I guess. :(

editing to add that it seems like they're rejecting a lot more people this year instead of waitlisting. I wonder why.

#51... hmmmm.... more waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

azanna said:
#51... hmmmm.... more waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Historically, that's a good position! Congratulations! Finally some decent news for the day.

"unable to offer you a spot" also.

This, despite a 41Q MCAT, Masters from OHSU/OGI (in electrical engineering) with a straight A average, several years on a disaster medical team (including deploying to disasters - I spent a month in New Orleans following Katrina, also went to Hurricane Francis response), several years volunteering in a free health clinic for the uninsured, a couple of years ER volunteering/shadowing, being a medical responder (including maintaining First Responder certification) for the company response team, letters of recommendation from OHSU MD faculty members, several patents, actually building a healthcare research device (google for Intel and Parkinson's if you're interested in finding a photo..)

I don't know what else they want.

Pixelthecat said:

This, despite a 41Q MCAT, Masters from OHSU/OGI (in electrical engineering) with a straight A average, several years on a disaster medical team (including deploying to disasters - I spent a month in New Orleans following Katrina, also went to Hurricane Francis response), several years volunteering in a free health clinic for the uninsured, a couple of years ER volunteering/shadowing, being a medical responder (including maintaining First Responder certification) for the company response team, letters of recommendation from OHSU MD faculty members, several patents, actually building a healthcare research device (google for Intel and Parkinson's if you're interested in finding a photo..)

Wow, I think I've read your mdapplicants profile and was duly impressed. Maybe you need to up that MCAT and volunteer some more. :rolleyes:

Pixelthecat said:

That is truly suprising! Applicants can meet with Debbie Melton to find out how they can improve their applications. I'd love to hear what suggestions she has for you! :laugh:

star22 said:
That is truly suprising! Applicants can meet with Debbie Melton to find out how they can improve their applications. I'd love to hear what suggestions she has for you! :laugh:

EXlawgrrl:

I have been following your trials and tribulations during the past year that have parralled my daughters. Be proud of your accomplishments and I truly believe that you will be most succesful in any endeavor that you undertake. Oklahomas gain is without a doubt OSHU LOSS.

Hey everyone, I called and found out that I am #67 on the waitlist. So, as always, I am in the grey area. Damn!

Best of luck to everyone else!

I'm sorry, exlawgrrl... :( It all seems like a crap shoot sometimes.

#58 on the alternate list! What do I do now, guys? I'm holding an acceptance somewhere else...but I'd like to go to OHSU, if I get in-state tuition. But how dumb would I feel if I didn't go to medical school because I gambled?

Pixelthecat said:

Jeez! You probably intimidated your interviewers!

pocketdoc said:
#58 on the alternate list! What do I do now, guys? I'm holding an acceptance somewhere else...but I'd like to go to OHSU, if I get in-state tuition. But how dumb would I feel if I didn't go to medical school because I gambled?

Last year they went to 96 on the list. Last year isn't this year but my guess is you've got a good shot. When does your second choice school start? You can hold your OHSU waitlist spot until you start orientation at that school. It'll make for a long summer but I'm guessing your chances are good.

You might also consider talking with Debbie Melton in a week or two and getting her outlook on your position. She's been in admissions at OHSU for many years. I'm betting she can give you some good advice.

robh said:
Last year they went to 96 on the list. Last year isn't this year but my guess is you've got a good shot. When does your second choice school start? You can hold your OHSU waitlist spot until you start orientation at that school. It'll make for a long summer but I'm guessing your chances are good.

You might also consider talking with Debbie Melton in a week or two and getting her outlook on your position. She's been in admissions at OHSU for many years. I'm betting she can give you some good advice.

Thanks, robh.

footdrljk said:
EXlawgrrl:

I have been following your trials and tribulations during the past year that have parralled my daughters. Be proud of your accomplishments and I truly believe that you will be most succesful in any endeavor that you undertake. Oklahomas gain is without a doubt OSHU LOSS.

Thanks -- I appreciate your post!

star22 said:

Don't bother. I did that last year, did everything she said to do, and I ended up rejected this year. I was on the waitlist the year before. An exit meeting with OHSU is a waste of your time.

I was going to just stomach the wait for one more day, but after seeing the posts about having called and found out today, I didn't have to!
I'm in! What a great birthday present!

Thanks for posting, everyone!

Blankyblank said:
I was going to just stomach the wait for one more day, but after seeing the posts about having called and found out today, I didn't have to!

Well, congratulations and happy birthday!!

Blankyblank said:

Happy birthday! :hardy:

Congrats to all of those who got good news today! For some reason, I cant bring myself to make the phone call to the admissions office. Why am I being such a wimp???!!!

Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for the letter.......

mobiusbaldwin said:
Congrats to all of those who got good news today! For some reason, I cant bring myself to make the phone call to the admissions office. Why am I being such a wimp???!!!

Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for the letter.......

Do it man! WE want to know. Do it for us... :D I hope everyone turns their phones into molten slag heaps after this much waiting!

Blankyblank said:

Rockin'! Happy birthday and good job!

I second robh, mobius! YOU CAN DO EEET!!! :)

So I checked my work email earlier today, and it turns out I received a response from Debbie Melton basically telling me to be patient and to wait for stuff to mail. I'm thinking about sending a thoughtfully worded and non-attacking response to her just laying out my criticisms about how slow their office is in handling, especially when compared with schools like UW who have a very similar admissions scheme. I'd just like to get it off my chest and give some possibly constructive feedback. Do you all think this is a horrible idea? Again, it's going to be professionally worded and not an all-out attack.

Right now, it just seems like OHSU is exuding their stereotypical arrogant attitude. It's not really a surprise that Portlanders say so many bad things about the place.