Any news from OHSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr. Weebs said:
You honestly believe that free medical clinics that are open maybe 20hrs a week with 2 providers, a 4th year medical student, and a very limited pharmacy is what's causing the large decline in uncompensated care? You have got to be joking. They won't even do follow-up care for 90% of the cases. Don't get me wrong, those free clinics are GREAT for the things that they service. But, they are not about long-term care, which is where most of the money is spent on uncompensated care. Most of the time in those clinics its people coming in for refills for their pain meds or beta blockers. How much time have you spent in those clinics? Maybe you know something I don't?

Let's be honest. OHSU is now a corporation. They are all about the buck now. Most of healthcare is becoming that way, some of it out of necessity, so it's not really their fault. Healthcare is getting more expensive, and the state is taking away funds from them. They have to rely on money. But, the fact that they so openly speak about their indigent care, and trash on places like Providence (Similar to what Oregondude said), and other state hospitals is the upsetting part. So, please, don't try to pass off the free clinics for the reason in the decline. Just admit, OHSU is big corporate big money now. There's nothing wrong with that, and in fact it's probably survival. However, it is sad that some people connected with the school won't admit it.

Weebs, here's a great example of OHSU providing continuous, uncompensated care. Read this article.

http://www.ohsu.edu/ohsuedu/newspub/releases/031306infirmary.cfm

Members don't see this ad.

nmnrraven said:
I'm fairly sure people are going to get very upset about what I'm going to say but here it is:

Don't you have something better to do than to rant on the internet about a school that rejected you? To say "yeah, they suck" is perfectly acceptable but my god you've all gone to such lengths to make it seem like the worst possible school ever. It makes a person wonder why you even wanted to get in. Doing this kind of complaining just makes you seem like sore losers, which none of you are. Let's just let it go. :thumbup:

I believe a number of the negative posts were made by people who were accepted and decided to withdraw.

Also, I, personally want to make it clear that I never said "OHSU sucks". I simply said they are a corporation and people should accept that. I also said that I understand why they have become that, and that it was probably unfortunately necessary. I am not sore about being rejected either. I am going to a school that I personally think is a much better school. But, I love Portland and wanted to stay here. I'll still be applying for residency spots, and I have been optimistic in my hopes that OHSU's school and residency programs aren't as bad as their admissions process and as bad as their money management and PR with the city/state.

mobiusbaldwin said:
Weebs, here's a great example of OHSU providing continuous, uncompensated care. Read this article.

That is a really nice program they have going there. Thanks for the link to the article. I never knew that existed. I still don't think that's the cause for their decline in indigent care... by not including things like this because its a community project.

There's no shame in admitting OHSU is a corporation and does less and less for indigent care as time passes. Healthcare as a whole is moving toward that. It's just too expensive to take care of people today with modern medicine. Especially with our country's lack of emphasis on preventative care as a whole... the people who finally get covered for free later in life are the sickest ones that drain 90% of the money out of the system (Read "As Sick as it Gets", great book). What I was saying I didn't like was that OHSU seems to front that they do so much, and even go so far as to put down other institutions.

nmnrraven said:
I'm fairly sure people are going to get very upset about what I'm going to say but here it is:

Don't you have something better to do than to rant on the internet about a school that rejected you? To say "yeah, they suck" is perfectly acceptable but my god you've all gone to such lengths to make it seem like the worst possible school ever. It makes a person wonder why you even wanted to get in. Doing this kind of complaining just makes you seem like sore losers, which none of you are. Let's just let it go. :thumbup:

I agree that that's an element, and hey, I've admitted that I have some personal biases against OHSU. However, as a tax-paying Oregonian, I think it's pretty important to look into these things. Right now it seems like the correct solution would be for the state to sever all ties with OHSU and let it be that great private research-oriented school that it wants to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Paiger Pie said:
BTW, I'm still not hearing anything bad about the medical educational program at OHSU. Counselor, care to comment? :D

I heard from a current student that OHSU tends to have lower USMLE scores than most other schools--he attributed it to the large proportion of students interested in primary care who aren't gunning for big name places, the fact that OHSU doesn't place importance on MCAT/GPA in admissions decisions, and the large number of students who go to OHSU because it was there only option.

A plastic surgery resident told me that few OHSU med students match into his program because they usually aren't as competitive as students from other places.

Both told me that if I get accepted to some place more competitive, I should go elsewhere.

Sample: n=2.

TheMightyAngus said:
I heard from a current student that OHSU tends to have lower USMLE scores than most other schools--he attributed it to the large proportion of students interested in primary care who aren't gunning for big name places, the fact that OHSU doesn't place importance on MCAT/GPA in admissions decisions, and the large number of students who go to OHSU because it was there only option.

A plastic surgery resident told me that few OHSU med students match into his program because they usually aren't as competitive as students from other places.

Both told me that if I get accepted to some place more competitive, I should go elsewhere.

I know I've said some negative things about OHSU in this thread, but I will come to their defense on this one. I heard similarly to what you are saying for Step 1. But, not for Step 2. I heard that on Step 2 OHSU fares pretty well. This was what I was told at my interview meeting this fall at OHSU by the admissions office. The admissions staff put it this way, "On step 1 we do right around the average, and on Step 2 we do better than average". "Right around" could be a vague way of saying "just below average", so maybe you're right, if referring to Step 1. I think this information is fairly reliable, since OHSU could get into big trouble if they lied to interview candidates about how they fare on the boards.

If you want to go to a school that historically does well on boards, look to see if the schools you're accepted to even publish their board scores. Most schools don't publish them because, well, most schools score "around the average". But, if a school scores 1/2 to a full standard deviation higher, they are likely to publish them to help recruit students. Hope that helps.

Dr. Weebs said:
I know I've said some negative things about OHSU in this thread, but I will come to their defense on this one. I heard similarly to what you are saying for Step 1. But, not for Step 2. I heard that on Step 2 OHSU fares pretty well. This was what I was told at my interview meeting this fall at OHSU by the admissions office. The admissions staff put it this way, "On step 1 we do right around the average, and on Step 2 we do better than average". "Right around" could be a vague way of saying "just below average", so maybe you're right, if referring to Step 1. I think this information is fairly reliable, since OHSU could get into big trouble if they lied to interview candidates about how they fare on the boards.

If you want to go to a school that historically does well on boards, look to see if the schools you're accepted to even publish their board scores. Most schools don't publish them because, well, most schools score "around the average". But, if a school scores 1/2 to a full standard deviation higher, they are likely to publish them to help recruit students. Hope that helps.

Thanks Weebs...

Aren't Step 1 scores based on preparation, anyways? It seems like most of the people who are getting high board scores on the SDN USMLE Step 1 forum are doing a significant amount of independent study beforehand. For step 1, the school can only take you so far, you have to do the rest. Personal motivation will get you the score you want.

exlawgrrl said:
I agree that that's an element, and hey, I've admitted that I have some personal biases against OHSU. However, as a tax-paying Oregonian, I think it's pretty important to look into these things. Right now it seems like the correct solution would be for the state to sever all ties with OHSU and let it be that great private research-oriented school that it wants to be.

I agree. In many ways I think forcing OHSU to go it alone has been the best possible "medicine" for the school. It has forced them to start doing the things that will one day (hopefully) make them into a top tier research center and graduate school.

The downside of this is has been that educating future doctors and nurses and other healthcare workers who will serve Oregon communities has taken a back seat to other concerns. This problem could be solved easily by some creative funding. For example, the state could simply redirect some of the funding they provide to scholarships for people willing to practice in Oregon for X-years, just like NHSC, or IHS. If they did 50 such scholarships for the medical school, it would cost them $6M/year, and it would turn out 50 doctors each year who would practice in OR. They could do the same sort of thing for indigent care.

As to the issue of liability protection that Star brought up, I wouldn't be so quick to toss that out. Government institutions generally enjoy that status. OHSU isn't really a government institution anymore but those protections allow them to care for patients who otherwise might not be able to get care in this state b/c of practice liability. Neurosurgery, and high risk obstetrics are good examples. If a woman wants a vaginal birth after cesarean section, she has one choice OHSU. Why? Because no one else will take the risk. The same is true for a lot of risky neurosurgery.

Any time we try to change something for the better, we run headlong into the immutable law of unintended consequences. The best we can hope for is that in the end the good we do outweighs the bad. There are lots of possibilities for creatively solving the problems that exist. And a lot of directions to point the finger of blame. As with everything in life, OHSU is a mixed bag, both good and bad. Several of you have had an opportunity to examine OHSU up close and have seen both. If there is one thing my advanced age :rolleyes: has taught me, it's that you will see good and bad in EVERY organization and for that matter in every individual, once you come to know either well.

Dr. Weebs said:

You're probably right on this. But, unfortunately, Step 2 isn't nearly as important as Step 1. Most people don't take Step 2 until after they've applied to residency.

i had a friend, who is currently waistlisted at rank #80, do you think he could get in? did anyone remember what number did they call as of Jun 1 last year?

glenn503 said:
I just signed my withdrawal letter so best of luck to all of you that are still on the waitlist. I am an in-state, reapplicant who dreamed of going to OHSU since high school, but working there for the past year definitely offered me a new perspective on the place and the individuals who work there. Don't get me wrong, it is a good program, but when $ isn't a determining factor unlike most students who get accepted to their state school and a private school(s), you end up looking at the details a little bit closer. I have seen and heard things over the past year that have left an indelible mark on me, one deep and poisonous enough to deter me from staying.

Again, best of luck to all of you on the waitlist and to those matriculating this fall.

Yeah, well, when I was at OHSU, some prick in a BMW ran over my puppy and didn't even stop to apologize. :mad:

aspiringdoctor said:
i had a friend, who is currently waistlisted at rank #80, do you think he could get in? did anyone remember what number did they call as of Jun 1 last year?

The waitlist was already in the 30's last year on June 1st. It looks like it got a slower start this year.

TheMightyAngus said:

So, now I'm having second thoughts. Should I re-think my decision to attend OHSU, and pursue an acceptance at BU, my waitlist school. I don't want to make a huge mistake by going to my state school after all. I have my future to think about. All this negative-OHSU speak is freaking me out!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Paiger Pie said:
So, now I'm having second thoughts. Should I re-think my decision to attend OHSU, and pursue an acceptance at BU, my waitlist school. I don't want to make a huge mistake by going to my state school after all. I have my future to think about. All this negative-OHSU speak is freaking me out!!!

According to your profile, you had interviews at a wide range of places (Mayo, Harvard, OHSU, NYMC, etc). You should have a good idea of the main similarities/differences between them in terms of atmosphere, location, student body, opportunity. How did you judge OHSU in relation to the others, and BU in particular?

TheMightyAngus said:
According to your profile, you had interviews at a wide range of places (Mayo, Harvard, OHSU, NYMC, etc). You should have a good idea of the main similarities/differences between them in terms of atmosphere, location, student body, opportunity. How did you judge OHSU in relation to the others, and BU in particular?

I loved both schools, despite the fact that they had totally different approaches to medical education. BU's traditional, lecture based curriculum (and huge Histology hurdle) seemed appealing in that it would provide structure and guidance in the form of a rigid academic schedule. Boston is a truly great US city, arguably isthe center of the medical universe, and would represent a fresh start after a year long divorce. The students at both schools seemed reserved yet happy, with OHSU's student body seeming a bit more representative of my age bracket. OHSU's curriculum seems conducive to individualized learning, and I truly was made to feel like they were auditioning for me at the interview, instead of the otherway around. Both of my interviewers bent over backwards to make me feel not only comfortable, but to be made to feel like OHSU wanted me in its class. So there you have it: 2 great schools, 2 great cities, 2 completely different approaches. I chose OHSU because both schools are approximately equal in the prestige department, OHSU is one hell of alot less expensive, the educations are achieved differently, but are both from esteemed medical schools, and I have an investment property here in Portland that is currently appreciating at 12-14% a year, which means in 4 years it could pay for my medical school expenses. So that is my tale. I love Portland. I love Boston. I guess I'm subconciously sufferinf from buyer's remorse as a result of some of the OHSU hating that has been un-earthed since May 15th. After all, who wants to go to a school that does more harm that good within its own state?

Paiger Pie said:
I loved both schools, despite the fact that they had totally different approaches to medical education. BU's traditional, lecture based curriculum (and huge Histology hurdle) seemed appealing in that it would provide structure and guidance in the form of a rigid academic schedule. Boston is a truly great US city, arguably isthe center of the medical universe, and would represent a fresh start after a year long divorce. The students at both schools seemed reserved yet happy, with OHSU's student body seeming a bit more representative of my age bracket. OHSU's curriculum seems conducive to individualized learning, and I truly was made to feel like they were auditioning for me at the interview, instead of the otherway around. Both of my interviewers bent over backwards to make me feel not only comfortable, but to be made to feel like OHSU wanted me in its class. So there you have it: 2 great schools, 2 great cities, 2 completely different approaches. I chose OHSU because both schools are approximately equal in the prestige department, OHSU is one hell of alot less expensive, the educations are achieved differently, but are both from esteemed medical schools, and I have an investment property here in Portland that is currently appreciating at 12-14% a year, which means in 4 years it could pay for my medical school expenses. So that is my tale. I love Portland. I love Boston. I guess I'm subconciously sufferinf from buyer's remorse as a result of some of the OHSU hating that has been un-earthed since May 15th. After all, who wants to go to a school that does more harm that good within its own state?

PaigerPie, I think that you're worrying too much. Yes, there are some negative things about OHSU and those things have turned some people off. But who ultimately decides what your med school experience is about? You. If you felt good about the vibe at OHSU and it's cheaper (not to mention a hell of a lot easier, relocation-wise), go there. I'm no expert, but I think it's a fine school--there's a reason why they are ranked so high on the US News list.

Paiger Pie said:
I loved both schools, despite the fact that they had totally different approaches to medical education...I guess I'm subconciously sufferinf from buyer's remorse as a result of some of the OHSU hating that has been un-earthed since May 15th. After all, who wants to go to a school that does more harm that good within its own state?

oh my goodness we live parallel lives...and soon our paths will cross, well, unless you decide to go to BU. ;)

But I was torn between OHSU and BU as well, not like I really have a choice yet b/c I'm waitlisted at BU, but thinking about what I would do IF accepted off the waitlist. Going into this process I had wanted to go out east for medical school...but after I was accepted to OHSU and realized it was even an option, my priorities changed. AND, now that I am in the process of closing on my very first home in Portland...I am very much set on OHSU. See the strange coincidence?

They are two great programs that are great in different ways. In my experiences as a lifer Oregonian (sans the 3 years out of state for undergrad), I've only met people that think of OHSU as being a very good medical school, a hospital where you go when you need a specialist or special procedures, etc. And b/c I know that I want to eventually practice in Oregon....and b/c OHSU is more recognized than BU by the common Oregonian...I feel like I just can't pass up OHSU.

Reading all of this negative stuff as definitely made me question my decision...but then, like everyone is saying, this is such a personal decision and I really feel like I have made the best one for me. Location, cost, my perception of the reputation, proximity to family and friends, and a solid education...I'm sold.

kathyt009 said:
oh my goodness we live parallel lives...and soon our paths will cross, well, unless you decide to go to BU. ;)

But I was torn between OHSU and BU as well, not like I really have a choice yet b/c I'm waitlisted at BU, but thinking about what I would do IF accepted off the waitlist. Going into this process I had wanted to go out east for medical school...but after I was accepted to OHSU and realized it was even an option, my priorities changed. AND, now that I am in the process of closing on my very first home in Portland...I am very much set on OHSU. See the strange coincidence?

They are two great programs that are great in different ways. In my experiences as a lifer Oregonian (sans the 3 years out of state for undergrad), I've only met people that think of OHSU as being a very good medical school, a hospital where you go when you need a specialist or special procedures, etc. And b/c I know that I want to eventually practice in Oregon....and b/c OHSU is more recognized than BU by the common Oregonian...I feel like I just can't pass up OHSU.

Reading all of this negative stuff as definitely made me question my decision...but then, like everyone is saying, this is such a personal decision and I really feel like I have made the best one for me. Location, cost, my perception of the reputation, proximity to family and friends, and a solid education...I'm sold.

Congrats on finding a place Kathy! Where did you decide to live?

Whats the deal with the list status??? It looks like it's having a hard time getting past #25. Stupid list. I hate the list. :smuggrin:

mobiusbaldwin said:
Whats the deal with the list status??? It looks like it's having a hard time getting past #25. Stupid list. I hate the list. :smuggrin:

I LOVE THAT LIST!!! It moved to #46...I couldn't believe it so I called to make sure and they told me that they just sent out acceptance letters! I'm IN!!! WOO HOO....Congrants to #26-46!

Congrats!!! Just a few more and I might not have to go to the most expensive school in the country...let's keep it movin'.

Purna said:
Congrats!!! Just a few more and I might not have to go to the most expensive school in the country...let's keep it movin'.

Thanks! Good luck to you!!

mobiusbaldwin said:
Congratulations! Keep on moving list... I could be buying shots soon.

Get your drinking money ready buddy. At this rate, you'll get accepted in the next week or so. Hoorah!

Wow, and I was just saying to my buddy that I didn't think that OHSU was still a choice for me, because they were only at #25! And today I check the site and it's #46?!?! Holy schmoly! Now I'm conflicted again, because I pretty much have decided to go to another school...crap. Happy dilemma, though--I really shouldn't complain. :luck: to all y'alls!

pocketdoc said:
Wow, and I was just saying to my buddy that I didn't think that OHSU was still a choice for me, because they were only at #25! And today I check the site and it's #46?!?! Holy schmoly! Now I'm conflicted again, because I pretty much have decided to go to another school...crap. Happy dilemma, though--I really shouldn't complain. :luck: to all y'alls!

Arent' you #58? Why are you conflicted? Only 12 more spots...you are getting in it's just a matter of a time.

Robh, I'm sorry that I'm not going to get to meet you, because you really seem like a kind and level-headed person, in contrast (unfortunately) to how some of our future colleagues present themselves on these forums. Voice of experience, I guess?

I'm conflicted because it's a better thing for me overall to go to my home state school (at which I have been accepted) than it is for me to go to OHSU, even though leaving Oregon will be tough and also means leaving my S.O. When it didn't seem like I was going to get in to OHSU anyway, that was a lot easier decision to make but now that it looks like I might have a chance, it's really tempting to re-think it.

pocketdoc said:
I'm conflicted because it's a better thing for me overall to go to my home state school (at which I have been accepted) than it is for me to go to OHSU, even though leaving Oregon will be tough and also means leaving my S.O. When it didn't seem like I was going to get in to OHSU anyway, that was a lot easier decision to make but now that it looks like I might have a chance, it's really tempting to re-think it.

Pocketdoc, its time to sit down with yourself and really think about this. Open a bottle of merlot, light a few candles, put your Air Supply CD into the player, and search deep into your heart. Take deep breaths, close your eyes, and relax. The decision must be made by that little girl that is still within you. For only she can tell you which medical school will best suit you, my little pocket friend.....

mobiusbaldwin said:
Pocketdoc, its time to sit down with yourself and really think about this. Open a bottle of merlot, light a few candles, put your Air Supply CD into the player, and search deep into your heart. Take deep breaths, close your eyes, and relax. The decision must be made by that little girl that is still within you. For only she can tell you which medical school will best suit you, my little pocket friend.....

Mobius, you're hilarious. :laugh: Wow, Air Supply--choice! :p

pocketdoc said:
Mobius, you're hilarious. :laugh: Wow, Air Supply--choice! :p

The list jumped another 5 spots this morning to #51. Looks like you're going to have to make that decision soon!

pocketdoc said:
Robh, I'm sorry that I'm not going to get to meet you, because you really seem like a kind and level-headed person, in contrast (unfortunately) to how some of our future colleagues present themselves on these forums. Voice of experience, I guess?

I understand. It's very tough psychologically to endure the uncertainty. I felt the same way with Case Western when I was waiting on OHSU for 8 months. I genuinely wanted to go to Case. I loved the school. I would have been very happy there, but when I add up all the other factors, it was obvious that I should go to OHSU if I was given the opportunity to do so. It sounds like you are in a very similar situation.

From what I read, it seems you really want to go to OHSU. The list is at #51 today. Only seven more spots to go for you. If you haven't already commited somewhere else by starting classes, I think you should rethink it, even if you arrive at the same conclusion. Regret is the worst feeling of all because, kind of by definition, there is nothing you can do to make it better. Don't put yourself in that box.

You are getting into OHSU. You have a choice. I hope I do get to meet you in person this fall, but as Mobius put it, "only [you] can tell you which medical school will best suit you." Good luck with whatever you choose.

List moved to #53 today...

mobiusbaldwin said:
7 more to go and I'm in!! C'mon list, you little bastard.

The list has moved 53 spots in 30 days (since May 15) that is better than 1.7 spots per day. Even if it slows down to 1 spot per day, it looks like next week's going to be your week. Good luck!

I just remembered that azanna was/is #51. I wonder if she's coming or not...?

robh said:
The list has moved 53 spots in 30 days (since May 15) that is better than 1.7 spots per day. Even if it slows down to 1 spot per day, it looks like next week's going to be your week. Good luck!

I just remembered that azanna was/is #51. I wonder if she's coming or not...?

ive been in europe for 2 weeks- just had a chance to check the website and yes im in and am planning on attending :) i hope it keeps moving for the rest of you! looks like it will :)

azanna said:
ive been in europe for 2 weeks- just had a chance to check the website and yes im in and am planning on attending :) i hope it keeps moving for the rest of you! looks like it will :)

Congratulations!

azanna said:

Congrats Azanna!! I hope to join you soon.

Well, mobius, count yourself one step closer. I'm going to forfeit my place on the list. Best of luck!! I'm sorry that I'm not going to be able to join you guys, but perhaps we'll run into one another on the residency circuit--I think I'll be needing to come back to the west coast by that time! :luck:

pocketdoc said:
Well, mobius, count yourself one step closer. I'm going to forfeit my place on the list. Best of luck!! I'm sorry that I'm not going to be able to join you guys, but perhaps we'll run into one another on the residency circuit--I think I'll be needing to come back to the west coast by that time! :luck:

Thank you, Pocketdoc. Congratulations on making your decision. Good luck in med school! Im going to have a beer for you tonight.

Almost at that magic number........... (60) :thumbup:

Woke up this morning, checked the list, what number was it??

# 60 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Booyah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goaaaaaaaaaaaallll!!!! Bam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeehaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hells Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who's your daddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

When's the party??

mobiusbaldwin said:

# 60 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Booyah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goaaaaaaaaaaaallll!!!! Bam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeehaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hells Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who's your daddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

When's the party??

Congratulations! Way to go!

mobiusbaldwin said:

# 60 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When's the party??

Congrats :) :)
Looks like we are having one hell of a party!

Hey guys,

For those of you who have good health insurance plans now with work, you may want to consider taking care of your health related requirements. I spoke with Caroline frmo the admissions office this morning and she provided me with a link to the information that we would need.

http://www.ohsu.edu/academic/acad/health/

When you get to that page click the "for new students" option on the left...

I, like many who are on the OHSU waitlist, am wondering how many of the remaining numbers are taken right now, that is how many people are actually between me and admission to OHSU. So what I would like to ask is for people to post their number and whether they are holding it or have rejected it.

Please, if you're on the list and have made a decision or not, post your number and let us know which numbers are actively held by applicants.

I'm number 96 (where they got last year) and go if they call me.

I'll make a thread just for this purpose when my account is fully active (I'm a nub)

Furious A said:
I, like many who are on the OHSU waitlist, am wondering how many of the remaining numbers are taken right now, that is how many people are actually between me and admission to OHSU. So what I would like to ask is for people to post their number and whether they are holding it or have rejected it.

Please, if you're on the list and have made a decision or not, post your number and let us know which numbers are actively held by applicants.

I'm number 96 (where they got last year) and go if they call me.

I'll make a thread just for this purpose when my account is fully active (I'm a nub)

Why not just call and ask? I am sure they are used to it. I am applying for 2007, so it makes me much more optimistic to see lots of movement!!

jillibean said:
Why not just call and ask? I am sure they are used to it. I am applying for 2007, so it makes me much more optimistic to see lots of movement!!

I wrote to the admissions office asking, among other things, how many of the remaining numbers are have been rejected by applicants and they answered all of my questions but that one. I took it as a hint but maybe I'll try calling.

Regardless, I'd still like to know where the remining wait list folks are.

Furious A said:
I wrote to the admissions office asking, among other things, how many of the remaining numbers are have been rejected by applicants and they answered all of my questions but that one. I took it as a hint but maybe I'll try calling.

Regardless, I'd still like to know where the remining wait list folks are.

I know # 62. He will go to OHSU.

I think that the list is moving at almost exactly the same pace it did last year (maybe a little quicker). You've got a good shot... Good luck. Let us know what the admissions office says if you call them.

mobiusbaldwin said:
I know # 62. He will go to OHSU.

Did #62 accept it?

I decided not to call OHSU and bother them about it. If anyone has any more info about the list (e.g. known number holders and their likelyhood of accepting) I'd be interested

Good luck #63, I just withdrew from OHSU. Good luck to all the waitlisters! :luck: