Any news from the 2009 Applicants for UH-Hilo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, the piece of mail I received was from the financial aid office.

I recently completed my FAFSA and they were just letting me know that they couldn't do anything further without being an admitted student.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm... Does anyone know if UH is on Spring Break? I haven't heard anything from them since January 9th and I'm thinking of calling or sending them an email... Anyone in the same situation?

Ok, the piece of mail I received was from the financial aid office.

I recently completed my FAFSA and they were just letting me know that they couldn't do anything further without being an admitted student.

Yea, I finally received the letter today. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
guess I'm the dumb one. I haven't filled out fafsa, because those schumks say my parents make too much money.

guess I'm the dumb one. I haven't filled out fafsa, because those schumks say my parents make too much money.

This is my first year filling out FAFSA because that's what they said when I tried to fill one out for my freshman year, so I never bothered to fill one out for the next 3 years. Anyways, isn't the preferred deadline on March 2nd?

i think you really should still fill out the fafsa. when you are applying to be a graduate student, you are automatically considered independent even if your parents still claim you on their taxes. you do not put your parents information in this time, as far as I know.

This is my first year filling out FAFSA because that's what they said when I tried to fill one out for my freshman year, so I never bothered to fill one out for the next 3 years. Anyways, isn't the preferred deadline on March 2nd?

i believe that is the preferred date, but you can still fill it out after.

anyone else who got accepted get their university id? kind of exciting!

i think you really should still fill out the fafsa. when you are applying to be a graduate student, you are automatically considered independent even if your parents still claim you on their taxes. you do not put your parents information in this time, as far as I know.

you're right.

anyone else who got accepted get their university id? kind of exciting!
yup, did you sign up for the forum too? i go to uh manoa so i got the same number, lol, but it was still exciting.

yup, did you sign up for the forum too? i go to uh manoa so i got the same number, lol, but it was still exciting.

I haven't signed up for the forum yet because I am waiting to hear back from one more school.

Hmm... Does anyone know if UH is on Spring Break? I haven't heard anything from them since January 9th and I'm thinking of calling or sending them an email... Anyone in the same situation?

Spring break: March 23-27

Members don't see this ad :)
i've been accepted to uh hilo :D i already sent in my $500 check. who else is going? :)

oohh i guess i will be joining that facebook group.

I wanted to know more about housing too. Most of you are deciding to live offcampus?

Well, it's looking like I'm going to be giving up my spot at UHH. Good news for those of you on the waitlist. I was accepted to Colorado, so as long as all the paperwork goes through, I will be withdrawing my spot at this school! Good luck to everyone!

I just wonder anyone interviewed on the 2/26 at Hilo campus got accepted ?

Well, it's looking like I'm going to be giving up my spot at UHH. Good news for those of you on the waitlist. I was accepted to Colorado, so as long as all the paperwork goes through, I will be withdrawing my spot at this school! Good luck to everyone!

Congrats Pharmtechgirl. I'm happy for you. You really deserve it.
We'll stay in mainland after all :)

I got accepted to UH-Hilo Pharmacy school and i was wondering if anyone else is worried about accreditation. When i asked my interviewer about the accreditation, he said that they were ok but one of the concerns was the buildings. I guess they were having a hard time getting enough funding from the state and had to just settle for modules. But the buildings won't be built for 5 years. Isn't that a really long time? Is that due to insufficient funding?? I can't imagine it would take them that long to build! Most of the new pharmacy schools i went to, had most of their facilities built already.

Also, as they grow in pharmacy classes, they will need to add more faculty staffing. It has been hard for them to find the faculty they have so far to reside in Hilo. So I'm also worried they won't be able to have enough faculty ratio to match the number of students.

At this point, i am waiting for other schools to accept me. The fact that i won't even see the building in the 4 years that i am there really concerns me.

I got accepted to UH-Hilo Pharmacy school and i was wondering if anyone else is worried about accreditation. When i asked my interviewer about the accreditation, he said that they were ok but one of the concerns was the buildings. I guess they were having a hard time getting enough funding from the state and had to just settle for modules. But the buildings won't be built for 5 years. Isn't that a really long time? Is that due to insufficient funding?? I can't imagine it would take them that long to build! Most of the new pharmacy schools i went to, had most of their facilities built already.

Also, as they grow in pharmacy classes, they will need to add more faculty staffing. It has been hard for them to find the faculty they have so far to reside in Hilo. So I'm also worried they won't be able to have enough faculty ratio to match the number of students.

At this point, i am waiting for other schools to accept me. The fact that i won't even see the building in the 4 years that i am there really concerns me.
Do a search on accreditation, you are at no risk if you attend a school with candidate status. You will be able to sit for the boards and become a pharmacist regardless of what happens to their accreditation status during your schooling.

As far as the building goes, they are building a brand new temporary building that will be used for pharmacy starting next year. It is temporary in the fact that it will be a general science building once the pharmacy building is completed, and the pharmacy students will move to the new building. The estimated date of the pharmacy building's completion is like you said a few years off but you will have class in a brand new building for the time being. To be honest, I'm not sure why it is a huge concern for you. In my opinion I'm indifferent to what the learning environment is like so long as it is technologically apt and the teachers are competent.

ACCEPTED!!! interviewed on Jan 9th in LA. WOOOOHOOO.

So after reading the entire thread, there is no way to become a resident for tuition purposes. One has to live on the island for 12 continuous month and NOT take more than 9 credits? Thats impossible for pharmacy students. So for 4 years the loan would be around 200k.

congrats to you!!!!

i have no choice because this was the only school i got accepted into so far. Rejected by a lot but still waiting on the last few. >_< I really wanted to go to the mainland for school tho.

wells.... hopefully my friend will be able to get in since she got waitlisted right now.

oh btw.... anyone know about fafsa financial aid for grad school?
do they only provide loans or do they also provide grants? (of course depending on need tho)
was wondering if there was a difference of financial aid between undergrad and grad.

Just another reminder...please join our facebook group! :)
Look under "University of Hawaii at Hilo College of Pharmacy c/o 2013"
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

oh btw.... anyone know about fafsa financial aid for grad school?
do they only provide loans or do they also provide grants? (of course depending on need tho)
was wondering if there was a difference of financial aid between undergrad and grad.
Only loans.

Any info on the on campus apartments Hale 'Ikena? Im thinking thats where i want to live come august.

I just got into another school close by, so it looks like I'll be declining Hilo after all--so that means one more open spot for you out-of-state peeps.

Good luck to everyone still waiting/interviewing!:D

So look like no one got accepted on Jan 26 interview at Hilo campus ?

Sent in my deposit today. If I dont get into UC, ill be going to Hilo.

They should start pulling people off the waitlist at the beginning of April, judging by the 07-08 thread.

They should start pulling people off the waitlist at the beginning of April, judging by the 07-08 thread.

Wow, well then I must have been rejected cause I have yet to hear from them lol. I did just realize though, I am missing 1 world culture class, despite the fact that I satisfied my university's "International" and "diversity" credits and I'm taking Japanese :laugh:. ::sigh::... I guess I can scratch this one off my list, it's pretty much a given seeing as a lot of schools start sending out rejections this time of year.

Eh, I'm missing that same class. I've been waitlisted since Dec.

Eh, I'm missing that same class. I've been waitlisted since Dec.

I interviewed in early January and was waitlisted after that and just got pulled off, so its still possible man. Idk how the waitlist works there but a spot still may open.

Wow, well then I must have been rejected cause I have yet to hear from them lol. I did just realize though, I am missing 1 world culture class, despite the fact that I satisfied my university's "International" and "diversity" credits and I'm taking Japanese :laugh:. ::sigh::... I guess I can scratch this one off my list, it's pretty much a given seeing as a lot of schools start sending out rejections this time of year.

Not necessarily! Hilo sent in a lot of acceptance letters literally 2-3 weeks before school started last year since so many of the people who got accepted ended up going somewhere else. Don't give up hope just yet...

I would take the class this summer, they pulled a lot of people off the waitlist last year.

I also missing the world cultures class and I'm on the waiting list.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I won't give up! .&#12364;&#12435;&#12400;&#12390;&#12367;&#12384;&#12373;&#12356;.

Pharmdapp: If you're still lacking a "world cultures" course, see if you can do an online course in world history, ethnic studies or something like that for summer school. They accepted a world history course that I had taken for that requirement.

I've been waiting for a reply and didn't want to post anything until I received word, but I MADE IT! So excited to finally go to pharmacy school. Guess I'll see y'all in August!

Is anyone living on campus? Im planning to but idk what dorms are better than others.

Is anyone living on campus? Im planning to but idk what dorms are better than others.

im not too sure either. but i heard there was a new dorm building for pharm students. i dont know how and when to apply cuz idk where is a good place to live.

for those who are missing classes, i think you should try take it during the summer. i had a friend last year who was missing physiology/anatomy class and took it during the summer but was still able to get accepted into the pharm sku. so dont give up!!!

Ive heard about the new dorm too, but nothing substantial. Idk the name or progress of the construction. That'd be sweet to get in on that its first year.

I went on the tour after my interview at Hilo and they mentioned a new dorm for pharm students, but didn't have much info about it. I called housing and I have to stay off campus because I have a son.

I might live at the school's dorm for the first semester...Hale Ikena. I heard it may be noisy due to undergrads.

I might live at the school's dorm for the first semester...Hale Ikena. I heard it may be noisy due to undergrads.

This is the dorm I was looking at too. Looks nice enough, everything in one little apartment. I figure its a good bet for at least the first year before I can scout out housing on my own. So going in blindly (out of state) I can at least bet on a good dorm.