Any news from the 2009 Applicants for UH-Hilo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah, i think it's best to know the city before finding housing off-campus. I have read in other forums that most pharm students, who stayed at dorms or University Palms, found a new place by second semester...many really didn't like em. Many stay at the tohbi hale place. i'm planning to get to know classmates first semster and finding roommates then.

for ppl looking for off-campus housing, another website is:
http://day-lumrentals.com/
some listed there are also listed on craigslist.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, i think it's best to know the city before finding housing off-campus. I have read in other forums that most pharm students, who stayed at dorms or University Palms, found a new place by second semester...many really didn't like em. Many stay at the tohbi hale place. i'm planning to get to know classmates first semster and finding roommates then.

for ppl looking for off-campus housing, another website is:
http://day-lumrentals.com/
some listed there are also listed on craigslist.

Thanks for the links! I've been searching the internet, but was thinking maybe trying Waiakea Villas. Has anyone heard how it is there? I was planning to get a car anyway.

yea... i feel so lost cuz i dont know the hilo area.
i was also looking at hale ikena, which seemed like a pretty nice dorm for my first year. then perhaps i may see some of you guys dorming there as well. :)
then after the first year when i get to know more people, then i would think about outside dorming.
plus.... i dont got a car :(

Members don't see this ad :)
yea... i feel so lost cuz i dont know the hilo area.
i was also looking at hale ikena, which seemed like a pretty nice dorm for my first year. then perhaps i may see some of you guys dorming there as well. :)
then after the first year when i get to know more people, then i would think about outside dorming.
plus.... i dont got a car :(

i heard the bus system doesn't go around a lot...but i'm not exactly sure. many people said it's best to have a car. i will transport my car to hilo so if anything, you can carpool w/ me to classes first semester (if we both get hale ikena dorm).

did u guys submit dorm apps yet? priority deadline was april 1.

I wouldn't recommend living in on-campus dorm. I have some friends living there and they moved out after one semester. It's small and you don't get your own bedroom i think.

Just to clarify, Tohbi Hale is not off-campus dorm. It's off-campus apartment complex, not dorm-style; you can either get ur own bedroom or share it with someone. And the brand new apartment complex that was just built for pharmacy students only is located next to Tohbi Hale, but not the same as Tohbi Hale. Both Tohbi Hale and the new complex are very close to campus, like 6-7 min walking.

I wouldn't recommend living in on-campus dorm. I have some friends living there and they moved out after one semester. It's small and you don't get your own bedroom i think.

Just to clarify, Tohbi Hale is not off-campus dorm. It's off-campus apartment complex, not dorm-style; you can either get ur own bedroom or share it with someone. And the brand new apartment complex that was just built for pharmacy students only is located next to Tohbi Hale, but not the same as Tohbi Hale. Both Tohbi Hale and the new complex are very close to campus, like 6-7 min walking.

Thank you for the insight. Could you also possibly tell me the name of the new complex? I'm currently in the process of looking for a place to live but I'm from CA, so any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for the insight. Could you also possibly tell me the name of the new complex? I'm currently in the process of looking for a place to live but I'm from CA, so any assistance would be very much appreciated.
Hale Hamana, though I dont think it's listed anywhere online. You should call the number listed on the Tohbi Hale website to inquire about it. Sal is the person you will need to get in contact with.

Heads up for the waitlisters. I just got pulled off today and received an offer of acceptance. Interviewed in January. I will be declining so 1 more spot is opened. Good luck! :)

Heads up for the waitlisters. I just got pulled off today and received an offer of acceptance. Interviewed in January. I will be declining so 1 more spot is opened. Good luck! :)

Congrats, where will you be attending instead? Did you receive an email from them?

I declined my seat too. One more out-of-state seat for someone interested. :)

I STILL have yet to hear from them besides the initial "we have everything"... for 50 dollars they can at least send me my rejection email/letter.:p

I STILL have yet to hear from them besides the initial "we have everything"... for 50 dollars they can at least send me my rejection email/letter.:p

I applied to Hawaii for the 2008 cycle and didn't get my rejection letter until mid september which I thought was completely ridiculous because classes had already started. You can at least think of it in a good way. They are still considering you.

Members don't see this ad :)

The good news is that they interview until all the seats are filled so you still have a shot, although I thought you were set on attending CSU.

Oh? Have you decided which school you'll be attending?

I'm happy to hear that you're set on attending TJU. Good choice! Unfortunately for me, I don't think I'll be joining you as I'll probably be attending UB instead. :)

The good news is that they interview until all the seats are filled so you still have a shot, although I thought you were set on attending CSU.

I'm happy to hear that you're set on attending TJU. Good choice! Unfortunately for me, I don't think I'll be joining you as I'll probably be attending UB instead. :)

you got into UB?!? Congrats!!!! tough school to get into right? I was on the waitlist and declined my spot....

you got into UB?!? Congrats!!!! tough school to get into right? I was on the waitlist and declined my spot....
The adcoms never mentioned how many transfer seats were available to begin with so I have no idea.

So, are you all set on going to Colorado? Should be exciting! :)

I would really like to move into the brand new Hank Correa Apartments on Kinoole... only problem is I need a roommate!! Is anyone else interested in the apartments and is looking for a roommate??

I'll be starting the Pharm D. program this coming fall (c/o 2013), I'm a local girl from Pearl City (Oahu), currently at Oregon State University. I'd strongly prefer to live with another female and I'm a very considerate person. The one thing I expect out of a roommate is that they clean up after themselves (not like my current roommates)!!

Please let me know if you're interested... I'd like to get the apt application in soon since I know they'll fill up quickly!!

I would really like to move into the brand new Hank Correa Apartments on Kinoole... only problem is I need a roommate!! Is anyone else interested in the apartments and is looking for a roommate??

I'll be starting the Pharm D. program this coming fall (c/o 2013), I'm a local girl from Pearl City (Oahu), currently at Oregon State University. I'd strongly prefer to live with another female and I'm a very considerate person. The one thing I expect out of a roommate is that they clean up after themselves (not like my current roommates)!!

Please let me know if you're interested... I'd like to get the apt application in soon since I know they'll fill up quickly!!

hi! unfortunately i have already signed up for dorming at hale ikena, otherwise i would have loved to room with you. I am also from oahu. :)
from your name it sounds chinese... is that right?

hi! unfortunately i have already signed up for dorming at hale ikena, otherwise i would have loved to room with you. I am also from oahu. :)
from your name it sounds chinese... is that right?
haha... yeah i am chinese. that's actually my middle name. so are you also going to be a P1 this coming fall??

I am, but my parents won't let me make any preparations for chicago until I here back from U of Hawaii and UF... even though I've already sent in my deposit and have been searching the web for apartments...

Hilo is still doing interviews and invites btw. I did a telephone interview last week and was accepted but I decided that Hawaii wasn't right for me.

I had a phone interview yesterday and was accepted via email today. Given 5 days to respond...

I had a phone interview yesterday and was accepted via email today. Given 5 days to respond...

They didn't even do an in person interview? Wow odd... I received a request for a phone interview a few weeks ago but decline. I assumed it was a pre-screen for a regular interview...guess not.

I was a little put-off by the phone interview request too. However, interview experience is probably not a bad thing, and I have visited Hilo before.

The interview lasted 30 minutes (single faculty member) with similar questions found in the 'Interview Feedback' forum. She said that decisions would be made within 2 weeks, so I was surprised to receive the email less than 24 hrs later.

I asked how the state's budget shortfall was going to effect their school (the state is raising taxes on those making more than 150k/yr and is also increasing taxes on hotel rooms). She said there will be a cut, that they are attempting to hire 3-4 new faculty, but the current and future students would not be affected. The school may be expanding rotations outside of HI to places like American Samoa, etc too.

I'm seriously surprised and worried by this. I thought ACPE had recently in the last couple of years did away with phone interviews (unless it's a secondary interview). Isn't their a rule in their guidelines that states that all school's must conduct in-person interviews only (unless their are extraordinary circumstances like weather).
I guess it possible they have made an exception since Hawaii is farther away for most of us than any other pharmacy school (if you live on the mainland).

I declined my seat earlier this week (I was accepted to two of my top choices) so their is one more out their for out-of-state students. Good Luck

haha... yeah i am chinese. that's actually my middle name. so are you also going to be a P1 this coming fall??

yes. i am going to be a P1 this fall. so hope to see you around!

I'm seriously surprised and worried by this. I thought ACPE had recently in the last couple of years did away with phone interviews (unless it's a secondary interview). Isn't their a rule in their guidelines that states that all school's must conduct in-person interviews only (unless their are extraordinary circumstances like weather).
I guess it possible they have made an exception since Hawaii is farther away for most of us than any other pharmacy school (if you live on the mainland).

I declined my seat earlier this week (I was accepted to two of my top choices) so their is one more out their for out-of-state students. Good Luck

I don't think pharm schools are even required to do interviews if they don't want to (of course why wouldn't you want to). They can simply look over your application and decide from there is they want to accept you, pritty sure.

Are they still conducting interviews? I have not heard anything from this school, but every time I call them they say, "Your file is complete and under review." What is the deal? :confused:

I'm happy to hear they're still interviewing! There's hope!
...but to think there's a chance that I won't get a rejection letter until SEPTEMBER! :( horrible....

They sent me an email today asking those who are on alternate list to let them know if we still want to be on the list or not. Haha, I thought they pulled me off from the list and accepted me.

They sent me an email today asking those who are on alternate list to let them know if we still want to be on the list or not. Haha, I thought they pulled me off from the list and accepted me.

I got the same email, I'm telling them to take me off. good luck to those still waiting.

yikes! should i be worried i didn't get an email regarding the alternate list??? i would like to still be considered!

I got the same email, I'm telling them to take me off. good luck to those still waiting.

Yay, 1 spot down. Hawaii (last resort out of other schools on the alternate list) is my back up in case if something happens to me prior to matriculation to Ole Miss, so I'm still keeping myself on the list.

yikes! should i be worried i didn't get an email regarding the alternate list??? i would like to still be considered!

Did you get placed on the alternate list or you just haven't heard anything from them after the interview?

i got an email saying i've been placed on the alternate list shortly after my interview. other than that, i feel like i've been hounding them trying to find excuses to keep in contact and show my interest.

does anyone know if an out of state drops, another out of state gets an offer? or do they just pick off the alternate list? i'm an in state applicant.

Hey everyone! So...I just registered to SDN today (no, i wasn't born yesterday =D)...so I'm a newb to all of this. So if you could please bear with me and help me out that would be so great! Anyways, I too got accepted to UH Hilo. I'm so scared cuz I'm from the OC in California and I know absolutely no one going to UH Hilo. And now I got a big problem, as I see many of you still do as well. It's the housing situation. I'm trying to look for off-campus housing. Anyone know of close by places to UH Hilo? And how are you guys dealing with the roommate situation? HELP! =D Thanks so much everyone...

i havent come on here for awhile

im gonna be starting my 2nd year, im probably not much help w/ housing since i live w/ my parents. best place imo is that tohbi hale place. I went to a lan party in one of the apartments and it was pretty nice inside.

if u got any questions, feel free to pm me

Hey everyone! So...I just registered to SDN today (no, i wasn't born yesterday =D)...so I'm a newb to all of this. So if you could please bear with me and help me out that would be so great! Anyways, I too got accepted to UH Hilo. I'm so scared cuz I'm from the OC in California and I know absolutely no one going to UH Hilo. And now I got a big problem, as I see many of you still do as well. It's the housing situation. I'm trying to look for off-campus housing. Anyone know of close by places to UH Hilo? And how are you guys dealing with the roommate situation? HELP! =D Thanks so much everyone...

Hey. the best place to find a roommate right now is from the UH CoP forum:
http://www7.uhh.hawaii.edu/forums/index.php?c=7
if you don't have an account yet, you should email Liz or Gina. Many other future P1 students are finding roommates on that site. I've read many other California students who are finding a roommate, too.

Best off-campus housing I heard about is the Tohbi Hale.
www.tohbihale.com

Or there is the new one called Hale Correa. If you never got an email from Liz about Hale Correa, just let me know. I can forward the email to you with pictures and the application attached.

does anyone know if they're pulling applicants off the waitlist? it seems like anyone who has recently been pulled are out of state. should i give up hope for this cycle as an in state applicant?

does anyone know if they're pulling applicants off the waitlist? it seems like anyone who has recently been pulled are out of state. should i give up hope for this cycle as an in state applicant?
I wouldn't give up hope entirely until the school year starts. Last year some people were pulled off a week before school started. Therefore it's still fairly 'early' for this school.

I just declied the offer of admission as out of state...Open one spot for out of state~:)

I just got offered an acceptance yesterday. I would love to live in Hawaii, but it would all be really expensive I think. I may have to stick to the mainland.

I just had a phone interview on 6/15, told me in a week a decision would be made

They must really be scrambling to fill the class. Its mid june and interviews are still being conducted. Wow.

I don't think pharm schools are even required to do interviews if they don't want to (of course why wouldn't you want to). They can simply look over your application and decide from there is they want to accept you, pritty sure.

Where are you getting this information from?

What you said is simply not true. Schools are required by ACPE to conduct interviews as a way to screen applicants.

They must really be scrambling to fill the class. Its mid june and interviews are still being conducted. Wow.

Not surprising. The so called "new" buildings are only clapboard portables, and then there's the "other" problem that many are aware of.
I'd be at UIC if it weren't for my g/f already attending UHH. :(

Not surprising. The so called "new" buildings are only clapboard portables, and then there's the "other" problem that many are aware of.
I'd be at UIC if it weren't for my g/f already attending UHH. :(

If you don't mind me asking, what is the "other" problem? UH Hilo is a top choice for me primarily because it's in-state.

Just this week, I had a phone interview this Monday. I was sent an acceptance email on Tuesday, and I declined the offer on Wednesday. The acceptance email said that I had to reply with a response within 2 days. I decided to decline the seat because I've already settled on Colorado SOP and it seemed really late in the game to change all of my plans. One more seat for those waiting to hear from UH Hilo! Good luck to you all! :)

don't say you "settled" on CO! CO is awesome! LOL see you in the fall!