Any news/rumors about the proposed Rhode Island school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kerosene Hat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are no Google results about the proposed RI Osteopathic school newer than mid-2012. What happened? Was it rejected? (I can't find any references to it being rejected, either.)

Members don't see this ad.

Is this school to help the much needed physician deficit of the state's rural areas too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its all about filling the doctor shortage in rural areas! What happens when the shortage is alleviated? Think any of these schools will close? Hope we do not go the way of law schools.

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-a...eges-of-osteopathic-medicine-and-campuses.pdf

1 school with pre-accreditation status (Liberty University) + 11 applicant schools (not including RI).

Center for Allied Health Nursing Education? Really? Please tell me it is a joke. A 2 year private for profit school, wants to start an osteopathic medical school.

Check out their website
http://www.cannj.com/

COCA and the AOA ... You need to work on you standards and perception of standards.

Center for Allied Health Nursing Education? Really? Please tell me it is a joke. A 2 year private for profit school, wants to start an osteopathic medical school.

Check out their website

COCA and the AOA ... You need to work on you standards and perception of standards.

Ahh I didn't see that nice find. Scary and disturbing find however.

There's money to be had... Although, I wouldn't mind seeing another CA DO school, but does Florida really need more med schools? They opened like 4 in the last decade.

Those below would still attract many applicants, believe me:

Southern California College of Osteopathic Medicine ... Los Angeles, CA
Larkin College of Osteopathic Medicine ... South Miami, FL

There's money to be had... Although, I wouldn't mind seeing another CA DO school, but does Florida really need more med schools? They opened like 4 in the last decade.

There will be a new MD school opening in California for the first time in 40 years starting in August:

http://medschool.ucr.edu/ - UC Riverside School of Medicine

Although their inaugural class will only admit 50 students.

Members don't see this ad :)

Check out their website

COCA really might be the death of public perceptions of DOs.

If one of the UC's opened a DO program, it would probably be more competitive than a lot of MD schools to get into.

If one of the UC's opened a DO program, it would probably be more competitive than a lot of MD schools to get into.

Yeah, it probably would. It would probably have fantastic facilities, faculty, rotation sites and funding overall as well.

Reactions: 1 user

Check out their website

Now calm down. These are groups that have applied. The aoa and coca must list them, but it doesn't mean they will approve them.

They could have done it decades ago at any campus of their choice after the entire debacle and lawsuits with MDs converting DOs into MD and the other conspiracies to destroy osteopathy, but they (aoa) decided not to.

Imagine UC Berkeley College of Osteopathic Medicine.

There will be a new MD school opening in California for the first time in 40 years starting in August:

http://medschool.ucr.edu/ - UC Riverside School of Medicine

Although their inaugural class will only admit 50 students.

Its really pseudo new program. They have been enrolling ~25 UCR students with a satellite program with UCLA, where they spend two years at UCR and 2 "at" UCLA. Now they are officially enrolling 50 students for all 4 years. 26 were accepted through the same UCR/UCLA program from UCR, and then they accepted 24 other applicants.

And I think a lot of them are coming from UCR, and maybe other UC campuses.

Yup. See above.

They could have done it decades ago at any campus of their choice after the entire debacle and lawsuits with MDs converting DOs into MD and the other conspiracies to destroy osteopathy, but they (aoa) decided not to.

Imagine UC Berkeley College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Well seeing how the UCI medical school was a DO school, it certainly could have been done, but maybe people were upset. At least Western and Touro managed to get some DO schools in the state. It'll just take a couple more decades for good DO acceptance in CA.

Well seeing how the UCI medical school was a DO school, it certainly could have been done, but maybe people were upset. At least Western and Touro managed to get some DO schools in the state. It'll just take a couple more decades for good DO acceptance in CA.

the only 2 CA DO schools are basically freestanding. The best way to build acceptance for the DO would have probably been to start a state university affiliated one. What states do you think of when you hear "DO friendly"? probably Michigan, Ohio, and maybe Texas. What do they all have in common? Strong state-supported osteopathic medical schools.

A lot of people on here seem think a medical school's university affiliation is something trivial and innocuous, but I think people seem to stop short of realizing how much it can help a medical school be successful. The proof is in the pudding. I mean, look at UNT/MSU/OSU/OU/UMDNJ, these schools are at the top of the DO world. I feel like these state schools come a really long way in giving the DO a visibility and acceptance that _____ private freestanding COM cannot.

I will be the first to admit though, state DO schools are a tough sell, as state u's would almost always rather invest in MD programs. I remember reading somewhere that someone tried to pitch a state DO school for Mississippi (before WCU opened). The state higher education board (or something) apparently refused to accept anything less than an MD program.

Last edited:
the only 2 CA DO schools are basically freestanding. The best way to build acceptance for the DO would have probably been to start a state university affiliated one. What states do you think of when you hear "DO friendly"? probably Michigan, Ohio, and maybe Texas. What do they all have in common? Strong state-supported osteopathic medical schools.

A lot of people on here seem think a medical school's university affiliation is something trivial and innocuous, but I think people seem to stop short of realizing how much it can help a medical school be successful. The proof is in the pudding. I mean, look at UNT/MSU/OSU/OU/UMDNJ, these schools are at the top of the DO world. I feel like these state schools come a really long way in giving the DO a visibility and acceptance that _____ private freestanding COM cannot.

I will be the first to admit though, state DO schools are a tough sell, as state u's would almost always rather invest in MD programs. I remember reading somewhere that someone tried to pitch a state DO school for Mississippi (before WCU opened). The state higher education board (or something) apparently refused to accept anything less than an MD program.

I know you're big in pushing for state supported DO schools, which is fine, but many states don't have the money currently to support any medical schools, let alone DO schools, where a bias exists as you mentioned.

Also, when I think of DO friendly states, I think PA is also pretty DO friendly. It only has 2 private DO schools, PCOM and LECOM. Seeing as how PCOM is over a century old, and LECOM is one of the biggest DO schools in the country, it seems that was all it took to make relatively DO friendly (despite of course the costs of malpractice and physician fees). I also expect that Arizona and Florida will be pretty DO friendly in the not too distant future. Afterall all of those SOMA and AZCOM and LECOM-B and Nova graduates have to go somewhere.

To be honest, I think one of the biggest factors that has given DOs more recognition is the simple fact that more of them are in the field now than ever before. Organizations like LECOM and Touro that educate DOs in droves are probably contributing a lot to this. There's a reason why DOs are fast approaching that 1/4 of US medical graduates mark, and its because of expansion due mostly to schools like those.

Last edited:

I'd be interested to know the history of how the state funded DO programs did come about. I can see DO programs being a tough sell for state institutions, since MD programs get waaaay more research funding... but then again, who knows if that is a cause or effect type thing.

DO schools are cheaper to start up... you'd think that would appeal to states looking to start a new med school.

I know you're big in pushing for state supported DO schools, which is fine, but many states don't have the money currently to support any medical schools, let alone DO schools, where a bias exists as you mentioned.

Also, when I think of DO friendly states, I think PA is also pretty DO friendly. It only has 2 private DO schools, PCOM and LECOM. Seeing as how PCOM is over a century old, and LECOM is one of the biggest DO schools in the country, it seems that was all it took to make relatively DO friendly (despite of course the costs of malpractice and physician fees). I also expect that Arizona and Florida will be pretty DO friendly in the not too distant future. Afterall all of those SOMA and AZCOM and LECOM-B and Nova graduates have to go somewhere.

To be honest, I think one of the biggest factors that has given DOs more recognition is the simple fact that more of them are in the field now than ever before. Organizations like LECOM and Touro that educate DOs in droves are probably contributing a lot to this. There's a reason why DOs are fast approaching that 1/4 of US medical graduates mark, and its because of expansion due mostly to schools like those.

i don't think state schools would be as much of a big deal now, since I see a merger of the degrees sooner or later. But historically, I think if more state osteo schools (or at least mid/upper tier private universites) had been opened, the DO profession would have had a much better shot of holding its own- i.e., not having to rely so much on ACGME training, not have gotten into this whole merger mess, being better able to compete for applicants, getting more research funding, opening more of its own residencies, better rotations, more visibility, etc.

The state schools existing now may not have fully achieved all of this, but they come far closer to doing so than the bulk of the private programs.

COCA really might be the death of public perceptions of DOs.

Can we all make a collective agreement that if anyone here ever ends up having a role on COCA that we're gonna go slap some sense into these people.

I think the school at Missouri Southern State in Joplin has a better chance than most of the other applicants in the long run, but that will step on some toes probably. I know OSU-COM rotates through one of the bigger hospitals in Joplin and some of their OPTI is located in that hospital. I would imagine KCUMB might have some stake in that area too.

COCA needs to cool it for a while. DO schools are relatively plentiful now and as stated almost a quarter of AMGs are now DOs. The focus should now be on strengthening clinical years and standardizing to a higher degree.

Can we all make a collective agreement that if anyone here ever ends up having a role on COCA that we're gonna go slap some sense into these people.

Like I said before. I hope LCME takes over COCA and pushes DO schools to establish stronger research connections and stronger 3rd and 4th year rotations.

COCA generally is willing to accredit anyone pending it increase the number of DOs, without concern at all for public perception.

Like I said before. I hope LCME takes over COCA and pushes DO schools to establish stronger research connections and stronger 3rd and 4th year rotations.

COCA generally is willing to accredit anyone pending it increase the number of DOs, without concern at all for public perception.

This may be the dumbest thing I have seen you post. If this were true then there would be a LOT more DO schools. Also, I have zero interest in research so I am totally OK with DO schools not having a lot of it.

This may be the dumbest thing I have seen you post. If this were true then there would be a LOT more DO schools. Also, I have zero interest in research so I am totally OK with DO schools not having a lot of it.

Let me just say that a lot of these new stand alone professional schools with no OPTI, no research, no alumni base, and effectively established for the sole purpose of generating money ( In a non-profit manner) would probably not pass the LCME's first stage of accreditation. Sorry, but not everyone who wants to deserves to open up a medical school. And sure, people will criticize this view point but I hold strong to it. And ok, you don't want to do research, that's fine. But medical schools need to be producing research for practitioners. That is the academic relationship we have chosen in the first world to accept.

Reactions: 1 user

:thumbdown:

Let me just say that a lot of these new stand alone professional schools with no OPTI, no research, no alumni base, and effectively established for the sole purpose of generating money ( In a non-profit manner) would probably not pass the LCME's first stage of accreditation. Sorry, but not everyone who wants to deserves to open up a medical school. And sure, people will criticize this view point but I hold strong to it. And ok, you don't want to do research, that's fine. But medical schools need to be producing research for practitioners. That is the academic relationship we have chosen in the first world to accept.

:thumbup:

this, rather than being private and tuition-driven. research is very important, schools should not just exist to crank out more graduates. Right now, it seems like DO schools have only opened because they (and other professional schools) are cash cows that people are rushing to bank in on, with the "we want to fill the primary care gap" "mission". The MD world isn't like this. It is poor stewardship, and the DO leadership should not settle for it. The AOA should have concentrated more on competing with (rather than being dependent on) the MD side.

Are you aware of any schools that were actually rejected by COCA?

I think the school at Missouri Southern State in Joplin has a better chance than most of the other applicants in the long run, but that will step on some toes probably. I know OSU-COM rotates through one of the bigger hospitals in Joplin and some of their OPTI is located in that hospital. I would imagine KCUMB might have some stake in that area too.

COCA needs to cool it for a while. DO schools are relatively plentiful now and as stated almost a quarter of AMGs are now DOs. The focus should now be on strengthening clinical years and standardizing to a higher degree.

Oh, I didn't know MSSU was opening a DO school.

Word. It makes me want to scrap my plan of taking some time off after undergrad...

I would agree with this. The 2015 MCAT will not be the only thing new applicants need to worry about, but also the rising fear of competition for residency positions. While I'm all for competition, the fact that if you don't match and have 350+k in non-dischargeable debt is something that COCA should look into.

Maybe the # of open spots should be tied to the # of residency positions because at this rate, people would start to fail getting into FM.

I would agree with this. The 2015 MCAT will not be the only thing new applicants need to worry about, but also the rising fear of competition for residency positions. While I'm all for competition, the fact that if you don't match and have 350+k in non-dischargeable debt is something that COCA should look into.

Maybe the # of open spots should be tied to the # of residency positions because at this rate, people would start to fail getting into FM.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=880704

COCA did pass some new accreditation requirements that at least addressed this last July.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=880704

COCA did pass some new accreditation requirements that at least addressed this last July.

Yes, they required OPTI to be opened. Which was a major start for the better, but COCA needs to stop accrediting stand alone insitutes. Sure the ones now are good, but we should aim only to get either hospitals or research institutes.
So schools like ACOM & MUCOM I highly approve of as new schools. We need more like that.

Yes, they required OPTI to be opened. Which was a major start for the better, but COCA needs to stop accrediting stand alone insitutes. Sure the ones now are good, but we should aim only to get either hospitals or research institutes.
So schools like ACOM & MUCOM I highly approve of as new schools. We need more like that.

Agreed.

I hope most of those schools (Especially Liberty and the Allied one) never see the light of day.

it is actually a proposed KCUMB branch campus using MSSU's facilities.

Intredasting. I wonder why? I liked KCUMB a lot but their class is huge and they already farm a lot of students out for rotations. I don't see what saturating those sites further would accomplish.