Quantcast

Any non-science majors worried about succeeding in medical school?

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a non-science major in college and only took the bare minimum to get into medical school. I have been accepted, but am worried about whether I'll be behind because I didn't take any advanced science. Is there anyone else who only took the required classes and is worried about starting medical school or who has already started medical school and can offer some insight?

Ernham

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many colleges intro series are tougher than the upper division classes. The difficulty might be a bit higher, but with your base of knowledge it gets easier.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about it.You only need to PASS the classes, not ace them.

TTSD

Sexually Deprived
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
..I am hoping that I will someday learn to enjoy coffee before I go to med school (that or find my own source of amphetamines)..

nezlab99

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
start chewin tobaco for nicotine. Everyone loves a doc with a spitter, or maybe be one of those docs that smokes but won't ash

tBw

totally deluded
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
people have done it before and survived. you will too. However, it only stands to reason that people who have taken biochem and cellbio before will find their med school equivalents less work. That has indeed been my experience of med school so far ie. I had to work a little harder last semester to get the concepts than some people who, though I believe no smarter (though maybe they were!), *had* seen the concepts before.

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you get accepted, then the school feels that you are smart enough to handle the work.

and you will most likely succeed. so i wouldnt worry too much about it.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-science major... I have heard from numerous sources (including medical schools and my pre-health advisor) that the only thing that will really make a significant difference is Biochem. I am quoting two independant sources that " The first 3 weeks of medical school Biochem is the entire semester of Biochem in undergrad". So, if you can get by the first month of medical school, you'll be fine. And I'm sure you can work harder for a month and the rest will be equivalent. You can search the Allo forum on this and find my post to be accurate. Don't worry - I'm riding on your boat.

skypilot

2K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you can squeeze Biochem and Anatomy and Physiology into your courses before you graduate it might take a little bit of the pressure off.

Kalel

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a study that was presented at my school which showed that non-science majors do just as well as science majors in the preclinical and clinical years. I think that being a science major does make a difference in the amount of time that you will have to spend studying basic concepts in subjects such as biochem though. I found that undergrad anatomy and physiology were also useful.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure my math/philosophy background will make my first 2 years a breeze:scared: :scared: :scared:

why werent you a bio major like all the other premeddies....stupid face

moo

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a math and physics major in college and I'll admit that the first couple units were tough for me simply because I didn't know how to study. But as time wore on, I developed new study habits, realized that it wasn't enough to just understand the material (because the material is really easy to understand, esp compared to some of the math I was used to doing) but to actively memorize and am now doing well in second year.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by moo
I was a math and physics major in college and I'll admit that the first couple units were tough for me simply because I didn't know how to study. But as time wore on, I developed new study habits, realized that it wasn't enough to just understand the material (because the material is really easy to understand, esp compared to some of the math I was used to doing) but to actively memorize and am now doing well in second year.

good to know:) Math sort of spoils you in that many times you get it really quickly and there really isnt need for much studying.

BonBon Doux

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haha...My major was in the social sciences as an undergrad...and I think I will get served in med school...but that's okay...so i won't get high pass, whatever.

I'll be sure to make good friends with ppl who were physiological science majors and biochem majors....:D

DoctorWannaBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by skypilot
If you can squeeze Biochem and Anatomy and Physiology into your courses before you graduate it might take a little bit of the pressure off.

I already graduated, the semester already started a month ago at the local university, and my med school starts in July, so this isn't an option. It sounds like I may be at a disadvantage, but if I work hard I should be able to do it.

exilio

Jocular Junior
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When accepted you have a 95% chance of success...

What do they call the person that finishes at the bottom of medical school...doctor. ;)

If you have made it this far, you can make it that much further. If anything, your non-science backgrond may make you a better overall doctor. It's not just about academics.