Any Nontrads make it through med school without any loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychRN

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not want to borrow any more money. Do you know of anyone who has made it through school without any loans?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you have something like $100k in cash saved up, (or join the armed forces like the last poster mentioned, which is just trading a monetary debt for a service debt) it will be difficult to have $0 in loans after medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not want to borrow any more money. Do you know of anyone who has made it through school without any loans?

MSTP;). My major professor didn't spend a single dime for tuition, in fact the med school paid him a salary too. But in return, he spent 8 years in the program..haha..but also earned both MD and PhD degrees. Of course MD/PhD is insanely hard to get into. If all goes well, and with divine intervention, I may retroactive get into this program at my school, but whatever.

Really, considering private tuition is $30-50k these days depending on the school. While public tuition is probably around $25k....unless you have $100k just lying around, you are going to have to get loans. Probably not a good bank though:p

Borrowing money should be the least of your concerns when applying to med school. There are far more frustrating things;).

It can happen, but it's very rare. You should not count on being able to go to med school without taking out loans, unless you are independently wealthy (or someone in your family is who is willing to support you. :) )

Hi there,
I made it through with borrowing only for living expenses ($40K). I was a scholarship person but my scholarships did not quite cover everything that I needed so I borrowed a bit. No scholarship is going to cover 100% so you might need to borrow a bit unless you have some investments that you can turn into cash.

njbmd:)

I received a scholarship from Mayo and will be debt free. Mayo is the school that graduates students with the least debt in the nation.