Any normal sport playing premeds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like to play basketball and tennis at a rec league level. My favorite sport is golf, and i love to play local tournaments during the summer. It's quite a time commitment though, might be interesting to see if it can be spun into a positive, especially if i can be competitive at the state amatuer level...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm playing lacrosse and rowing this spring... but I'm finding with uni that I don't have enough time for both.

I play intramural softball, football, basketball and raquet ball. I also lift everyday, save Sunday, and sprint three mornings a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Squash and Tennis right now. Stopped with Karate few years back (Chitu Ryu, blue belt). Wish I could play hockey.

tae kwan do black belt
lift everyday, run 1/2 hr daily

I whitewater kayak and play beach volleyball sometimes

Played intramural soccer and volleyball throughout undergrad. I also suck at tennis, golf, and basketball.

Football, and Track for university. I have a Black belt in Tang Soo Do, if you were to call that a sport, but I don't compete anymore.

A positive could be earning all conference, and hopefull eventually academic all-american. I am thinking about volunteering to teach low income students martial arts... but with all the time commitments of sports, I doubt I will have the time.

If you'll do a search, you'll see that I have posted several times a very fundemental fact about SDN:

Each thread must have equal and opposite thread.

Didn't the OP say normal sports? Where do all these non-normal sports fit in under that heading (Chi May Quantidudu black belt, etc.)?

Our IM indoor soccer team went undefeated and won the tournament this year. Our outdoor team is 1-1, but trying to get back into shape. I was surprised at how many students at all the schools I interviewed (and now attend) play soccer.

^ If you were involved in any form of martial arts, you would see that there are various styles to which it is practised. Terms like Karate/Taek-won do/etc. are generalizations of the sport.

patzan said:
Didn't the OP say normal sports?

Clearly everyone is using the olympic standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
ski racing, soccer, softball...and tennis but very badly.

Soccer, Waterskiing, Downhill Skiing...running and lifting but not everyday. hell no

Used to play football, I was a left-guard starter. stopped a few years ago

was a competitive swimmer back in the day, bball, and lax. (lacrosse not the airport) now i just run and sometimes pick up a lax game if i can (its hard in the city). but my ultimate fitness goal is the empire state bldg race (u run up all the stairs)

Soccer, tennis, and mainly now it's figure skating. But I'll hopefully get on the tennis team for my last year next year.

Played D-1 men's ice hockey for two years, but didnt play much and had two knee surgerys, so I quit, now just play recreationally and work out regularly..

I played D-1 women's college golf but don't play too much anymore since golf is expensive! I love to snowboard and wakeboard too. :)

My IM indoor soccer team made it to the championship round where we were beaten by a team comprised of international students from south america and one superstar that played professionally in costa rica. It isnt fair! Soccer is SPORTS in that part of the world....I also play IM flag football and I coach youth soccer.

My IM indoor soccer team made it to the championship round where we were beaten by a team comprised of international students from south america and one superstar that played professionally in costa rica. It isnt fair! Soccer is SPORTS in that part of the world....I also play IM flag football and I coach youth soccer.
This post was over 4.5 years old. Why?

I ran track back in the day, and my parents had me skiing since I started walking, but what constitutes a "normal" sport? I play ultimate, back during undergrad competitively in the college series and now at the next level of play the club series. This isn't a bunch of stoners tossing a disc around or headless chickens running around playing 'ultimate frisbee'. This is legitimate ultimate frisbee with practice, drilling, training, tactics.. and awesome road trips to compete against other colleges at tournaments, and now against clubs from all around the country.

http://www.upa.org - for those you who don't consider ultimate a sport, or for those who want to learn more

I have no clue lol that last post was made today sunday october 18 2009.

I guess I don't really do any 'normal' sports, but I have a black belt in hawaiian kempo (okinawan derivation) and am planning on running a marathon this spring.

I race Triathlons, and REALLY want to do some sort of martial art at some point

I play intramural soccer and i played 4 years of tennis in high school, but my school is too cheap to have a team so we don't one for tennis.

oh...and i play basketball occasionally.

I was on the Varsity Cross Country and Track and Field teams all 4 years at my University. Quite a huge time commitment with the premed course load but it was completely worth it, being a collegiate athlete was one of the greatest experiences of my life.

Triathlon

also

biking swimming cycling :p

played rec football, basketball, soccer and volleyball in college, as u might imagine I spent many evenings on sports-by far the most relaxing activity

since graduating I play basketball at least 2 times a week and football sometimes

just started olympic weightlifting a few months ago!!! hopefully i can compete in nationals next year or two.

lol I wondered what would pass as "normal" sports.
That being said I've been running triathlons for a few years and teaching Chinese martial arts for about 9 years or so. Is that normal? It has been cool getting to work with some local law enforcement and even local FBI offices with rape aggression defense courses and even blind and deaf children awareness and defense courses. Is that a sport?

Played for the U-20 Mexican Soccer National Team and then, I decided to focus more on work/school and the whole premed stuff...

But yea, so Soccer is a big part of me, I love football as well and basketball...

Played varsity basketball and softball for four years:)

Swam for my University all 4 years + captain for 2 years

Soccer, Basketball, Racquetball.

Played college football first 2 years of college...

does yoga count?

+ running, weightlifting, badminton

looks like we have a decent number of triathletes