Any Northeast teams going to Haiti?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sclegend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Know of any physician teams going to Haiti? Please post or PM me if your institution or one you know of is sending a group. I'm a PGY4 at Bellevue.

Also, I've got an EM trained disaster fellow who'd like to go as well.

We are cleared from the NYU admin side (insurance, leave, etc.) and can pay our own way as needed.

Members don't see this ad.

Know of any physician teams going to Haiti? Please post or PM me if your institution or one you know of is sending a group. I'm a PGY4 at Bellevue.

We are cleared from the NYU admin side (insurance, leave, etc.) and can pay our own way as needed.

I'm an ER doc in Boston, working for Caritas Christi. We got an email the other day about them trying to put together a group. If you PM me I can forward you the email

I'm an ER doc in Boston, working for Caritas Christi. We got an email the other day about them trying to put together a group. If you PM me I can forward you the email

PM sent! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard this and it's been confirmed:

--American Airlines is taking doctors and nurses to Haiti for free. Please call 212-697-9767--

Heard this and it's been confirmed:

--American Airlines is taking doctors and nurses to Haiti for free. Please call 212-697-9767--

sorry, this is an internet hoax. I am part of a team going in the next 72 hrs and they ARE NOT sending folks for free.....

Research the group you choose to respond with very carefully. Make sure they have experience in this type of activity. Supplies for yourself and patients need to be thought out carefully. Sufficient operational support is critical, especially security.

The main airport in Haiti was blocked up several days ago by good intentioned people chartering planes and responding. The professional and experienced groups expected not to be able to get jet fuel in Haiti and calculcated out a return trip for the aircraft. Some of the chartering folks did not, leading to a delay of additional responders for a minimum of 24 hours as the airport clogged up with aircraft unable to get fuel and leave the airport.

Wook

Rule number one - don't become part of the problem yourself.

Rule number one - don't become part of the problem yourself.
Amen. From what I'm reading right now, they're under supplied and over "doc-ed" Unless you're bringing supplies with you, I wonder whether more docs might just be a drain on an already stressed supply chain...