Any NYC Med Students Not on Campus Housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tradkeke

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm making my school list now and had a question for the NYC med students.

I'll be moving with my long term girlfriend (3 years) but we don't qualify for "domestic partnership". I was wondering if anyone in NYC was able to find a reasonable place to live, particularly for the Manhattan schools, on a med school budget. She would be working as well, but it still seems very expensive.

We want to get married one day, but do to familial geographic circumstances (military deployments for both her dad and brother) she wants to wait and I totally understand but also means we wouldn't be getting married before the school year.

Is it worth it to apply to the NYC schools if you can't live in the student housing? Is it still possible to afford?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't speak for the Manhattan schools, but I'm sure that you'd be able to find affordable housing near Einstein and SUNY Downstate, especially if you were willing to commute a little.

Reactions: 1 users
Def doable by Downstate. Doable in Manhattan with multiple roommates most likely. I know lots of couples, including many married couples, with other roommates in order to afford living in NYC.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It all depends on how comfortable you are with taking large loans. I have plenty of classmates that have made it work with their significant other in non-student housing. Also keep in mind that what's relatively affordable in NYC, not just Manhattan, is very expensive compared to the rest of the country. You'll be paying a lot for housing no matter what NYC school you go to, including at the subsidized student housing.

Where are you coming from? Its all very relative. Ive lived here my whole life and so the "outrageous prices" werent as outrageous for me.
For example, a studio in yorkville will still run you close to 2 grand most likely. Maybe lower like 17 if youre shopping at the right time and go really cheap.
Unless you want to commute far or live in complete garbage, youre gonna be looking at at least 1500-2000 a month for a studio (and this would be a less than ideal location for all but columbia and einstein).

Reactions: 1 user
Where are you coming from? Its all very relative. Ive lived here my whole life and so the "outrageous prices" werent as outrageous for me.
For example, a studio in yorkville will still run you close to 2 grand most likely. Maybe lower like 17 if youre shopping at the right time and go really cheap.
Unless you want to commute far or live in complete garbage, youre gonna be looking at at least 1500-2000 a month for a studio (and this would be a less than ideal location for all but columbia and einstein).

I was seeing if it was reasonable given how much aid you are given. I thought most med schools gave around 20-30k a year for living expenses in general and 2k for rent is 24k just for rent and no other expenses.

Yeah your girlfriend will definitely have to pitch in if you want to live in Manhattan. There's one-bedrooms in the 1k-1.5k range around Downstate, and I'm sure similar prices around Einstein. No matter what, you should expect to pay at least 1k on rent unless you want to live in a closet.

-For NYU/Cornell, find a place in brooklyn/yorkville.
-For Mt Sinai, get a studio in yorkville.
-For Columbia stick to washington heights/morningside heights.

They're all affordable and each one is proximal to direct subway lines for a 20 minute commute at most.

Spanish Harlem will be much more affordable than Yorkville.

If you are willing to live in a non-doorman walk-up the prices will drop dramatically.

Hello all, I'm making my school list now and had a question for the NYC med students.

I'll be moving with my long term girlfriend (3 years) but we don't qualify for "domestic partnership". I was wondering if anyone in NYC was able to find a reasonable place to live, particularly for the Manhattan schools, on a med school budget. She would be working as well, but it still seems very expensive.

We want to get married one day, but do to familial geographic circumstances (military deployments for both her dad and brother) she wants to wait and I totally understand but also means we wouldn't be getting married before the school year.

Is it worth it to apply to the NYC schools if you can't live in the student housing? Is it still possible to afford?

Don't know what school you're talking about but at Sinai there are various other things you can do to prove intent to marry and thus qualify. If you're engaged and have a letter from someone who will marry you or a deposit at a venue (which frankly will be cheaper than outside housing probably even if you have no intention of getting married at that location) and a joint bank account that should be enough. If the only reason you're delaying marriage is because family are deployed then you should be able to fulfill the other requirements pretty easily.

Housing at Einstein is actually really cheap. We have a bunch of couples living on campus.