Any NYU students here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nighttrain

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, what's happening? I was accepted to NYU SOM last week and am very excited about it, but I interviewed on a Saturday and didn't meet any students or get a presentation about anything and wasn't there long enough to remember much. I was wondering if there were any NYU students out there.... What are students like? what's the daily schedule? social life? reputation? etc.... I went to school in California so I'm pretty scared of NYC and haven't heard much about NYU. Any impressions of the school? Thanks so much, this network is a great resource!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Nighttrain,
I'm an MS1 at NYU. I think it's a great school, I really like the majority of my classmates and the academics are strong too. One of the best things about NYU in my opinion is the students, and that's one of the reasons I chose to go here. People are pretty laid-back, pretty friendly, and most know how to have fun. The class is really pretty close-knit and people hang out and do a lot of stuff together. I've made several close friends since coming here and lots of acquaintances who I'd like to get to know better. So I think the social angle is definitely a strong point. I don't know if they told you about it in your tour, but the post-exam parties are worth mentioning. After every exam, the school subsidizes the student government to rent out a bar or club for the night and everyone goes out to party. Usually you can buy three drink tickets for $10 and once in awhile there's an open bar. Everyone likes socializing and hanging out together after the pressure of exams are over, and it's really a lot of fun. There's also formals or semi-formals a couple of times a year, plus things like ice-skating and ski trips that are organized by student government. Plus of course there's all kinds of things to do in NYC. BTW, I'm from Colorado and haven't found adjusting to NYC to be a problem, in fact I love it, so I wouldn't worry about that aspect if I were you (unless you're going to really miss California).

Anyway...academics. I think the classes are well-taught for the most part and we get really good preparation. It's a mix of the lecture and small-group styles, although the first semester is mostly lecture. It's a traditional curriculum, anatomy plus MGB (molecular biology, genetics, and biochem) and embryology first semester, physiology, histo, cell bio, and some neuro second semester. Personally I found anatomy fairly rigorous but I'm enjoying this semester a lot more. Grading is entirely pass-fail for the first two years. Speaking of academics, I've got to get back to studying physio, but if you have more specific questions feel free to post 'em and I'll try to answer when I get the time.

Residency match list is pretty good too.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi nighttrain,

i am a 3rd year student at NYU, and i agree with everything that the previous poster wrote. the students at NYU are outstanding, and you definitely have time for an active social life. you are still a few years away from the clinical years, but working at bellevue is a definite plus for the school, though NYU is a little heavy on the side of medicine (2 months IM, 1 month critical care, 1 month ambulatory care, 1 month medicine sub-i). probably the only factor about NYU that has been subpar is the housing (as a first year, you will probably be placed in the student dorm), but the options improve each year.

i also am not from the area (originally from minnesota), and i had no significant difficulties with the move. NYC is a great place to live for a few years- i enjoy the city more and more each year (ofr course, i would like to move back to the midwest eventually). if you have any other specific questions, feel free to email ([email protected]). congrats on your acceptance!

- bud

Thanks alot! NYU sounds like a fun place to be. What is the daily schedule like--are you in class 8-5 like other traditional schools? also, it sounds like there's no PBL... what do you think about that?

I'm interested in the honors program. what's the scoop on that program?

Thanks!

i can't quite remember the lecture schedule, but a typical day would probably be with lectures/conferences/labs from 8-3/4, with an hour for lunch. perhaps a little more initially because of anatomy lab. of course, this is assuming that you attend all the lectures- some are really good, and some are not...

as far as PBL is concerned, there are a number of conferences and case studies with this kind of thing, but lecture still dominates (at least, it did 2 years ago).

the honors program works like this: you select a lab that you would like to work at (there is a catalog with all of the PIs), and if space is available, you talk with the PI about a specific project. to get the honors degree, you need to work the equivalent of 2 summers (i don't remember how many weeks exactly), then defend a mini-thesis. there are a few other minor requirements like participation in a journal club, an ethics course, etc. it is a nice program for exposure to bench-based research. i am in the boat of many honors program participants- have completed the research, still thinking about defending the thesis (don't really have the time to do it now). you get paid for your work but you won't get elective credit if you spend time in the lab during 3rd/4th year. if you are seriously considering attending NYU and joining the honors program, i would suggest that you start your research this summer- that way you can finish during the summer after 1st year instead of using time during 3rd/4th year (like i did- paying for that now by having to take pediatrics in 4th year). of course, you may want to use this summer for relaxing / travelling / etc- sounds nice to me right now! take care-

bud