Any of you guys/gals ever try to drink IV fluid solution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Serenity

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today during rounds in the SICU, our attending somehow got to asking us, "so, what would happen if you tried to drink normal saline or Lactated Ringers' solution?" We spent several minutes on the topic...basically he told us that drinking NS would be like trying to eat a buncha saltine crackers at once...your oral mucosa would get dry and you wouldn't be able to drink very much of it. (He also stated that back in the day, colon preps for colonoscopy would consist of placing about 3 liters of LR down a patient's NG tube and letting it work its "magic"...)

So, with that said, have any of you tried to drink any sort of IVF solution like NS or LR (or heaven forbid, 3% saline)? If so, what was it like for you? Did you "keep it down?"

Members don't see this ad.

Today during rounds in the SICU, our attending somehow got to asking us, "so, what would happen if you tried to drink normal saline or Lactated Ringers' solution?" We spent several minutes on the topic...basically he told us that drinking NS would be like trying to eat a buncha saltine crackers at once...your oral mucosa would get dry and you wouldn't be able to drink very much of it. (He also stated that back in the day, colon preps for colonoscopy would consist of placing about 3 liters of LR down a patient's NG tube and letting it work its "magic"...)

So, with that said, have any of you tried to drink any sort of IVF solution like NS or LR (or heaven forbid, 3% saline)? If so, what was it like for you? Did you "keep it down?"

Try it. You'll like it.

Also, you should taste test all your diabetic patients' urine to see if they are spilling glucose. It is an integral part of the physical exam. :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users

...and that is why I hate rounds

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
don't forget to test out the lactulose while on GI either. yum.

...and that is why I hate rounds

I totally understand that :thumbup:

However, this attending at least made the several minutes kinda interesting...at least we didn't spend 45 minutes discussing the differential for a patient's hyponatremia like one might do on medicine rounds :sleep:

Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

don't forget to test out the lactulose while on GI either. yum.

An integral part of the internal medicine rotation at my school involves going home with 4 liters of GoLytely and drinking it so we can gain "empathy" with our patients' situation. :p

Back in college I used to volunteer in the emergency department of a nearby hospital. one day as i was walking by a room, I looked in, then found myself stopping and looking in again. the patient had taken out the i.v. from their arm and was licking the saline out of the tip of the needle.

"huh..." i thought to myself, "is that how it's supposed to work?" so i waved down an attending and explained the situation. we went into the room and we asked the patient what they were doing. "i'm thirsty," the patient responded. so, as the volunteer i got the patient some water and we started another i.v.--and explained to the patient not to take it out and sip from it again.

An integral part of the internal medicine rotation at my school involves going home with 4 liters of GoLytely and drinking it so we can gain "empathy" with our patients' situation. :p

you've got to be kidding. I've had a colonoscopy, I claim exemption.

LOL.....sad to say I have. I was doing a fasting and cleansing regimen over three days for which I drank one liter of water with 2 flat teaspoons of salt in it every morning (NS, though I didn't know it at the time) and I can tell you definitively that the effects are as follows. Yes, you can drink it though it is not easy :scared:(it tastes very salty and oily) but user beware. If you try this you better have your track shoes on and a free restroom handy for the next hour and a half!! If you can drink the solution over thirty minutes or less the entire volume of liquid will pass through your GI tract unabsorbed and you will have uncontrollable diarrhea :eek:. I assume that this is because the solution is isotonic and approximates plasma/blood and therefore lacks an osmotic gradient for absorption across the endothelium of the gut. Hope this helps.

If you're preparing for a national contest, after twelve weeks of carbohydrate and salt depletion, and 72 hours of fluid depletion, on the morning of pre-judging, finishing off a 1000mL bag of D5/NS returns fullness to the muscle bellies and makes every vein in ones body stand out.:D

If you're preparing for a national contest, after twelve weeks of carbohydrate and salt depletion, and 72 hours of fluid depletion, on the morning of pre-judging, finishing off a 1000mL bag of D5/NS returns fullness to the muscle bellies and makes every vein in ones body stand out.:D

ever drank sea water :)

sea water got about 3.5% salt on average! :D:D:D:D

Members don't see this ad :)

Lame.

Our ethics teacher had this idea we should be exposed to the concept of "sudden patienthood" in which an injury was unexpectedly inflicted at an inconvenient time. So one morning he randomly gave students eye patches, knee braces, shoulder slings, or screws to put in our socks so that doing basic activities like walking or standing were difficult or outright painful.

For a day my MS1 class looked like a horde of pirates ... bunch of one-eyed people yelling "aaaarrrr!" and "where's me parrot?" while hobbling around on artificially stiffened legs.

Reminds me of my third year pediatrics rotation.
Our attending was making the point that once a baby tastes cow's milk, he will never go back to formula.
He made us taste all the baby formulas, served at room temperature.
I thought that I would vomit after one sip of Isomil.
I thought Pedialyte would be sort of like Gatorade, but it tasted like water mixed with dirt.

Last edited:
We had to do some kind of experiment in my undergrad A&P class. Some students had regular water, some .9% saline and a third group even more saline, but I don't remember how much. The idea was to show how each could have effects on urine output. I was one of the .9% group. I forget how much we had to drink, but it was multiple dixie cups. Worst part of it was the urge to barf it back up. It was nasty.:barf:

All the sorority chics know, if you're going to subsist on a baby food diet, it's gotta be-

33_AppleSauce_.jpg

:D

Take a pounding during an overhead surf session and you'll be well versed in the topic of ingestion of hypertonic saline. :p

For a day my MS1 class looked like a horde of pirates ... bunch of one-eyed people yelling "aaaarrrr!" and "where's me parrot?" while hobbling around on artificially stiffened legs.

I thought Pedialyte would be sort of like Gatorade, but it tasted like water mixed with dirt.

:laugh: Thanks, I needed that.

3rd year of school during peds one of the noon conferences consisted of pharmacy bringing us samples of all the liquid meds....the antibiotics, steroids, kayexalate, the added "flavorings," etc. And yes.........Mucomyst. UGH.

Reminds me of my third year pediatrics rotation.
Our attending was making the point that once a baby tastes cow's milk, he will never go back to formula.

Wow...surprising that this thread got resurrected after 2 years! I totally forgot about it!

Anyway, I remember a similar experience during my peds rotation where a buncha samples of formula were spread out for our tasting pleasure. Don't remember if I had the stomach enough to sample any, but I remember it not smelling all that great...

It was common for some soldiers to drink lactated ringers while in a combat zone and dehydrated. No one complained about taste or diarrhea. I suppose the body doesn't mind it when it needs it.

It was common for some soldiers to drink lactated ringers while in a combat zone and dehydrated. No one complained about taste or diarrhea. I suppose the body doesn't mind it when it needs it.

I am one of those men and can attest to the need for hydration pushing me to drink a 500ml bag of Hartmanns. It satisfied my bodies need and gave my mind enough of a break to crack on again. I've read every thread within this post and while I admire all doctors, as a whole, you focus very heavily on your own trials and tribulations. Consider a man 3 days without food or sleep and at the end, out of water. Consider that other men have put him in this situation and that it is his choice to remain there. All of the things that you have considered a torment, to this man would be a great relief. Now consider the child that hasn't eaten properly for months and has never had clean water. What do your torments feel like Now? I only bring this up, because I have met many doctors and the ones that stand out and have been the best in a field of few, but all of whom, have been brave before anything else, have been humble. I know less than a percent of what they know but their humility made us equals when my comrades needed them most. Not their arrogance or hubris. Their ability to work and be at our level. 2 of my close mates lives were saved by them. Would you be able to do the same?

I am one of those men and can attest to the need for hydration pushing me to drink a 500ml bag of Hartmanns. It satisfied my bodies need and gave my mind enough of a break to crack on again. I've read every thread within this post and while I admire all doctors, as a whole, you focus very heavily on your own trials and tribulations. Consider a man 3 days without food or sleep and at the end, out of water. Consider that other men have put him in this situation and that it is his choice to remain there. All of the things that you have considered a torment, to this man would be a great relief. Now consider the child that hasn't eaten properly for months and has never had clean water. What do your torments feel like Now? I only bring this up, because I have met many doctors and the ones that stand out and have been the best in a field of few, but all of whom, have been brave before anything else, have been humble. I know less than a percent of what they know but their humility made us equals when my comrades needed them most. Not their arrogance or hubris. Their ability to work and be at our level. 2 of my close mates lives were saved by them. Would you be able to do the same?

Holy thread bump, WTF.

Reactions: 2 users

who dis?
C2lzkzvUQAEtN2E.jpg
\

Reactions: 1 users
you've got to be kidding. I've had a colonoscopy, I claim exemption.

I have too, and it wasn't that bad. Mixed it with Crystal Lite Lemonade. Tasted like a 4L salty margarita.

Last edited:
Since we're on the topic, AHA recommends daily intake of sodium of less than ~2000mg daily. One liter of NS has 9000mg.

Reactions: 2 users
Came across this because I googled, can you drink saline? Just had to let you know these are absolutely hilarious.
#dehydratednurse

I drank some, tastes like chicken (soup)