Any of you only started studying 4 weeks before & still got above 30? *please post!*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j-med

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please let us know, just to give our late starters some comfort!

Don't forget to tell us how you made it through too!

Members don't see this ad.

p.s.
I have been taking kaplan since Janurary, but I've been so busy with other things that I haven't done most of their required readings. I brought my score up to 27 after my first FL of 25, and the diagnostic 22. If I will continually improve.. I think I may get a chance to shoot above 30.. especially since I haven't even reviewed everything.. I am going to try and finish them after my biochem exam this coming wednesday. And then I'm going to take more practice tests to see how much I'll have improved...

I need to ask this because I'm getting anxious now and like the other thread, I don't really want to consider the August test! I have several friends who all told me they know people or they themselves who only studied for a month and got above 35.. just want to hear from those of you who really achieved that... can give us some comfort... And please share with us some tips!
Thanks in advanced!

Make sure you have the basics covered. That's what I did before I took any practice tests, and after several months I'm still at the same spot where I began with my first practice test.

I'd invest at least as much time into the reasoning process behind the passages/questions as the actual content itself. From this alone I think it's not hard to raise that 27 to a 30...since the MCAT is a significantly a reasoning test.

imo most ppl that say that they only studied a little bit and aced it are full of crap, they probably were studying in secret (i've seen quite a few ppl do that). but you certainly can raise your score above a 30. many ppl i know do much better on the real thing than practices, and become much more focused. I know i did, and i found the trick for me was taking as many easy points as possible, and making sure i didnt go over easy q's way too fast and make dumb mistakes. go over your answer keys and check if you are missing easy points. i drew arrows or circles to questions that i knew i could answer with some extra time, but first went through and answered questions i could finish right away. if i had no idea i just guessed and didnt mark it, i figured there was no way i would ever figure out. my friend didnt break 30 until her last practice, and on the real thing got a 35, so its definitely within reach.

Members don't see this ad :)
ismelllikepoop said:
imo most ppl that say that they only studied a little bit and aced it are full of crap, they probably were studying in secret (i've seen quite a few ppl do that).
IMO, people who call me a liar are poo poo heads. How could you? I thought I loved you! (Oh, I take it back. I can't stay mad at you....) And truth be told, in that short amount of time I studied my ass off. OP, be prepared to eat, sleep, breath, and poop the MCAT.
Anyway, OP, I started about 5.5 weeks before the MCAT (I even had to pay an extra $50 fee because I signed up late). I bought the Kaplan Comprehensive Review and the TPR MCAT review books. I read both of these front to back and took thorough notes. Then I went over my notes and took notes from my notes making some kind of ultra-comprehensive super notes! Then I went over these again and just sort of studied the notes. This took me about a week and a half. Finally, after all that note taking, I started taking practice tests. The only practice tests I took were the AAMC tests from e-mcat.com. I printed them out and just worked through all 210+ questions in one sitting. One of the nice things about that website (it's worth the money to get all the tests available) is that it will give you a breakdown by subject of which questions you answered correctly and incorrectly. So, armed with that I went back to my notes and targeted my studies at those subjects in which I needed help or was unsatisfied with my score. Also, I would periodically revist each subject and make sure I understood everything, even those subjects in which I was comfortable.
I started studying about 5.5 weeks before the test. I work so I studied about 5-6 hours per evening. I spent maybe a week and a half making those initial notes and studying them and then took 2 tests a week until I exhausted the AAMC test supply. I threw in the GMAT verbal tests whenever (the bathroom is a good place to do a passage - or two if you have the time; for about a month I would time my bathroom breaks by GMAT passage). The last week and a half before the test I went over my notes again (More note taking! Yes!) and retook all of the AAMC tests and poured over the answer keys online. I actually kept studying right up until the Saturday of the MCAT.
It can be done, but it is a lot of hard work! (I'm so proud of those dorky notes that I still have them....)
Here's the progression of my scores: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3477425&postcount=9 Clearly, a lot of people did better than I did but I fit your bill of about ~4 weeks of studying and I'm sort of crazy in the head so if I can do it you can, too. If you have more specific questions just ask. Don't just pay attention to the material, you've got to understand the answers and how the MCAT writers try to trick you!
Good luck!

jebus said:
IMO, people who call me a liar are poo poo heads. How could you? I thought I loved you! (Oh, I take it back. I can't stay mad at you....) And truth be told, in that short amount of time I studied my ass off. OP, be prepared to eat, sleep, breath, and poop the MCAT.
Anyway, OP, I started about 5.5 weeks before the MCAT (I even had to pay an extra $50 fee because I signed up late). I bought the Kaplan Comprehensive Review and the TPR MCAT review books. I read both of these front to back and took thorough notes. Then I went over my notes and took notes from my notes making some kind of ultra-comprehensive super notes! Then I went over these again and just sort of studied the notes. This took me about a week and a half. Finally, after all that note taking, I started taking practice tests. The only practice tests I took were the AAMC tests from e-mcat.com. I printed them out and just worked through all 210+ questions in one sitting. One of the nice things about that website (it's worth the money to get all the tests available) is that it will give you a breakdown by subject of which questions you answered correctly and incorrectly. So, armed with that I went back to my notes and targeted my studies at those subjects in which I needed help or was unsatisfied with my score. Also, I would periodically revist each subject and make sure I understood everything, even those subjects in which I was comfortable.
I started studying about 5.5 weeks before the test. I work so I studied about 5-6 hours per evening. I spent maybe a week and a half making those initial notes and studying them and then took 2 tests a week until I exhausted the AAMC test supply. I threw in the GMAT verbal tests whenever (the bathroom is a good place to do a passage - or two if you have the time; for about a month I would time my bathroom breaks by GMAT passage). The last week and a half before the test I went over my notes again (More note taking! Yes!) and retook all of the AAMC tests and poured over the answer keys online. I actually kept studying right up until the Saturday of the MCAT.
It can be done, but it is a lot of hard work! (I'm so proud of those dorky notes that I still have them....)
Here's the progression of my scores: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3477425&postcount=9 Clearly, a lot of people did better than I did but I fit your bill of about ~4 weeks of studying and I'm sort of crazy in the head so if I can do it you can, too. If you have more specific questions just ask. Don't just pay attention to the material, you've got to understand the answers and how the MCAT writers try to trick you!
Good luck!

You're my hero Jebus!

damn jebus, you did pretty well on your practices and the real thing too. i was making more of a generality, dont think that you can get lazy bc other ppl said they didnt/arent studying, they probably have been a lot more than they let on. And by what jebus said, he did study quite a bit in that short time, taking that many practice tests can make your head explode, it can work for some ppl but for me i would shoot myself before i did that. by all means you should be capable of getting a score over 30, but since your scores are alright and not really considered great (dont be offended, i did about the same on my diags) with a month to go i would focus on an 80% approach, meaning clean up on 80% of the test and the 20% or whatever that is hard, dont waste too much time getting difficult points that are reserved for the over 40 crowd anyways.

The way that e-mcat breaks down your strengths/weaknesses on each practice MCAT is of great value. Eliminate your weaknesses.

The 30+ MCAT thread has some people who studied under 4 months so anything is possible.

:luck:

jebus said:
One of the nice things about that website (it's worth the money to get all the tests available) is that it will give you a breakdown by subject of which questions you answered correctly and incorrectly. So, armed with that I went back to my notes and targeted my studies at those subjects in which I needed help or was unsatisfied with my score. Also, I would periodically revist each subject and make sure I understood everything, even those subjects in which I was comfortable.

Thank you guys for all your replies! It's great to see all of your suggestions & comments! :)
I only joined this forum for a few weeks and I'm loooving it!!
:thumbup:

ismelllikepoop said:
damn jebus, i was making more of a generality, dont think that you can get lazy bc other ppl said they didnt/arent studying, they probably have been a lot more than they let on. And by what jebus said, he did study quite a bit in that short time.
I'm just jealous because I wish I chose your username back when I had the chance.
Yes, with one month to study, unless you're really smart, you will have no social life. (Work + Sleep + 6+ hours a day studying = no social life) I was studying in the bathroom! I mean, Christ, that's supposed to be the one place you get away from it all and I couldn't. I guess those are the sacrifices when you only give yourself a month to study.
I think someone said something about a routine on another thread here. I agree. Keep to your routine. I still worked out for an hour+ each day (ok, so that was my social life... pretty sad, I know) and kept trying to eat healthy and got all the sleep I needed.

jebus said:
Keep to your routine. I still worked out for an hour+ each day

You did? That's still pretty good! I'm feeling I'm prepared to save thathour plus workout for studying too... or maybe at most once or twice short 1-hr or less workout per week.... :( Do you think that hour of workout helped though? like energized you and all those good things they say about exercising?

Ha! I had the hormones data tacked on the wall of my bathroom. The bathroom is a great place to study rote stuff.

I have a similar story to jebus's. I was in the TPR classes, but never went to a physics class (only the first one), and didn't really go to many other classes. I only went for the practice tests. Hell, I came in drunk on St. Patty's day (a reputation became of this). Spring break I started hitting it hard. I am a crammer, this is my style. My diags were 22 - 28 range. AAMC test were 28 - 34. I ended up getting a 37 as 9 VR 15 PS 13 BS P ( dyslexic, didn't ask for extra time). You must hit it hard. You must be smart. It can be done. I do suggest getting out and having release. Working out was good for this; I made sure I partied on the weekends. I really think it is important as to not stress too much about it. I didn't party the weekend before the actual test week. Study smart. Take practice tests. Study what you get wrong.

Working out was definitely worth it. It imbued a sense of routine to my day, helped foster dedication, and kept me sane. Like OwnageMobile said, you need a release. Plus it gave me a chance to ogle fit, half-naked, sweaty women.
Listen to OwnageMobile, he seems like a smart mofo.

ismelllikepoop said:
damn jebus, you did pretty well on your practices and the real thing too. i was making more of a generality, dont think that you can get lazy bc other ppl said they didnt/arent studying, they probably have been a lot more than they let on. And by what jebus said, he did study quite a bit in that short time, taking that many practice tests can make your head explode, it can work for some ppl but for me i would shoot myself before i did that. by all means you should be capable of getting a score over 30, but since your scores are alright and not really considered great (dont be offended, i did about the same on my diags) with a month to go i would focus on an 80% approach, meaning clean up on 80% of the test and the 20% or whatever that is hard, dont waste too much time getting difficult points that are reserved for the over 40 crowd anyways.

What topics would you put into the 20% that is hard?