any offers outside the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radonc

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
did anyone else get offers outside the match?

i got an offer from a sub-par program but i think im gonna take it cuz going through the match is tough, especially if the numbers are against you (300+ applicants for 80-some spots). i interviewed at some good programs (gainesville, vandy, clinic, g-town)

Members don't see this ad.

sorry, my last post got cutoff

i interviewed at some good programs, but im not gonna risk goin through the match again....

good luck to everyone, and ill see you at astro

At Hopkins, we offered a position outside the match. The rationale for doing this was that with over 160 applications for one spot we could save time and effort by selecting only a few for interview (including some who rotated through the department) and offering a spot; given the competition this year it was felt that we could get a good candidate this way (even though others wouldn't want to go this route). There have been theories on the interview trail about why Hopkins was doing this (i.e. Chairman search underway) but this was the bottom line in reality. Whether or not one thinks this is a good way of doing it, this is what happened.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive heard of some offers outside the match - mostly in California.

Congradulations radonc!

which programs offered already? i know of NCI, Howard, Iowa, Johns Hopkins, and UCLA(?). Any others? Congrats to those few early matchers!

radonc,
can you PM me? thanks.