any ohio people?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bruinkid, Sep 3, 2002.

1. bruinkid

bruinkid Senior Member

i just wanted to know if ohio was a diversely populated state? meaning different ethnicities...blah blah blah

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

I think it does... then again I live in a "multicultural" (or for you lay people "mixed" :) ) neighborhood. :)

4. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I lived in Ohio for my entire life and fail to see the diversity you are refering too. According the US Census, Ohio is 86.1% white, 12.1% black, 1.2% Asian, and very small Hispanic population. It may be diverse in your neighborhood, but I know Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Dayton are not very diverse. They are somewhat segregrated in these terms.

5. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member

Huh... well I guess I just got lucky then here in Akron... I'm surrounded by different people. Some of my neighbors are African American... and I see (and meet) hispanics and Aisans all the time.

6. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, Akron is a little more diverse in the sense of the black population. It has about 30% black population, but the Asian and Hispanic are 1.2% and 1.3%.

7. Green912

Attending Physician
    Chalk another one up for Akron!!

8. LoveDoc

LoveDoc Respect the Rhesus Monkey

I live in Indianapolis and visit Cincinnatti several times a year. It is equally proportionate to Indy from what I can tell. From the stats posted they appear almost equal.

I thought that was diverse?

Oh well, guess I've been sheltered in the Midwest most of my life.

9. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Um, I'm not sure what you're talking about WSU. Cleveland is rather diverse, especially around CWRU, if the original poster is looking at diversity as a factor in school choice. There's a large number of internationals in the graduate programs at Case. I don't know the stats, but rather large asian population, african-american and white. Not so much hispanic or other races. Quite a few europeans (romanians, hungarians, russian).

Columbus is also rather diverse as well, with a large asian population.

Cincinnati - not quite so diverse.

The diversity is centralized around the cities (Akron is close enough to Cleveland eh?). The more rural areas are not really.

10. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench

I think compared to LA, most places in the US are not going to be considered diverse. I think the stats posted by WSUreds are pretty typical for the US as a whole. I live in Cleveland in a very diverse neighborhood (black downstairs neighbors, Indian and Chinese nextdoor neighbors etc.)

There are plenty of diverse areas in the cities. Areas that are more rural won't have that, obviously, but if you're looking to go to Cinci, Case, or Ohio State, every kind of person will live in your neighborhood.

11. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench

leorl - ya beat me to it! :)

12. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Well, Cleveland is more diverse than Columbus and Cincinnati. I do not know what you consider a large Asian population. Its no where near other large cities of its size. But thats because its in the middle of everything. Cincinnati and Columbus have to be the least diverse of them all.

What I am talking about?? Like I said, I was using data from the census. I find it hard to imagine the cultural population at CWRU makes up for the rest of Cleveland since Case is a very small school.

13. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench

WSUreds -

I would say you are correct if speaking of the diversity of Ohio using the diversity of the USA as a whole as the benchmark. Ohio has a lower percentage of certain minority groups than the US as a whole on the order of 1 or 2%.

However, I think what we're trying to say is that there are places and neighborhoods (even fairly large ones) around the metropolitan areas of Ohio that are very VERY diverse, meaning that certain minority groups as a % of population may be 30-40 points higher than the population of the US as a whole.

Does diversity matter more as a census % of the whole state as reported on a web page, or does it matter more when you say hello to your neighbors on the way to the corner coffee shop?

Again, if someone does not want to live in an area that is 95%+ white, there is PLENTY of Ohio that isn't going to appeal to them. However, around most of the medical schools the population is pretty spread out, and Case is not the only source of diversity on the East side of Cleveland.