Any old foggies out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kane

The hard way is the right way
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any other non-traditional students who are up there in age?

I might be the granddaddy here at 39. Anyone else come close?

Kane

Members don't see this ad.

Any other non-traditional students who are up there in age?

I might be the granddaddy here at 39. Anyone else come close?

Kane

Nope I win the prize! I am 42 and a grandma of three :D

I feel really old amongst all of the 21 and 22 year olds! I am 24, and don't like being older than a lot of my classmates!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can understand Superhuntress. But be like the oyster...take an irritation and make a pearl. Maybe your age has given you a focus you might not have had at 21, right? Or maybe you now have a few life experiences that you wouldn't have had right out of undergrad that have helped to shape you into a different person than you were a few years ago.

And DDSABEACH -- you have me BEAT! I'm single with no kids! So have you already applied? I won't be taking the DAT until the summer '08, so I'm early in the journey. (I have to start crushing the pre-reqs when I begin my informal post-bacc this summer.) The goal is to enter DS in '09.

K

27...two kids

Is it not supposed to be 'old farts'? lol, jk:thumbup:

I'm 41 (and a half if you ask any of my 4 kids!):laugh:

25 here, 3rd year pre-dent :clap:

Count me in. I am 32, one kid. Applying for 2008.

25, a 2 year old and one on the way. applying for 2008.

Well, far from me to exclude anyone, but are you really an old foggie in your 20s?

Hey, all old souls welcome in this thread, I say.

Corolla, "Old Farts" works too, my friend.

Iceman, this is your 3rd year as a pre-dent...but have you applied yet? Your DAT looks fine, but what's the deal with your QR? With such nice scores all-around, it doesn't make sense. You're getting me worried that this QR section will be impossible.

Kane

31 and getting ready to begin a 2 year masters program in biology at Louisville. I also have a biomedical post-bac program completed in 04 under my belt with a 4.0GPA and still can't get into school b/c of DAT scores. I'll be 33 when I begin dental school.
Age means nothing, my dad went to dental school when he was 32, graduated at 36 and is the President of the Ohio State Dental Board and a GREAT dentist. He loved dental school despite his age difference. Who cares!

"Life is a journey, not a destination!"

31 and getting ready to begin a 2 year masters program in biology at Louisville. I also have a biomedical post-bac program completed in 04 under my belt with a 4.0GPA and still can't get into school b/c of DAT scores. I'll be 33 when I begin dental school.
Age means nothing, my dad went to dental school when he was 32, graduated at 36 and is the President of the Ohio State Dental Board and a GREAT dentist. He loved dental school despite his age difference. Who cares!

"Life is a journey, not a destination!"

why are you doing a 2 year masters program if you have a 4.0 biomedical GPA? sounds like the only thing keeping you out at this point is your DAT....study your arse off for 3 months and nail it out with 20's and U R SET!! no doubt, the masters will only enhance your application. but gpa AND dat are what gets you in for an interview.

best of luck, jb!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds like the only thing keeping you out at this point is your DAT

i was wondering the same thing. care to elaborate, McDDS75?

kane

Hi all,

I'm currently 28 and will be 30 by the time I am ready to apply to dental school. I am married with two children, a son who will be 3 in June and a 16 month old daughter. So I'm a nontraditional, too. I've been tossing around a lot of ideas for a while now but have finally settled on dentistry as I have dental assisting experience and love the field.

Welcome to the thread! :)

I can understand Superhuntress. But be like the oyster...take an irritation and make a pearl. Maybe your age has given you a focus you might not have had at 21, right? Or maybe you now have a few life experiences that you wouldn't have had right out of undergrad that have helped to shape you into a different person than you were a few years ago.

And DDSABEACH -- you have me BEAT! I'm single with no kids! So have you already applied? I won't be taking the DAT until the summer '08, so I'm early in the journey. (I have to start crushing the pre-reqs when I begin my informal post-bacc this summer.) The goal is to enter DS in '09.

K

::::cough:::::
I doubt it! I'm 21 and I'm full of wisdom:D

Most of my classmates will be older than I am, but it's okay. I like to hang around with more mature people.

Well, I'm 26, going to turn 27 between orientation and the first day of class.

OceanBlue, are you doubting you'll be even WISER at 24? :p j/k

and, really, twenty-somethings... no offense but you aren't old foggies. okay, unless you have KIDS! hehe

i was thinking old foggie-hood wouln't even begin until the 30-35 range. lol

so far, besides me, that gives us DDSABEACH and Onamission.

but, once again, being an old foggie is a state of mind. (i can't believe i'm about to say this...) and anyone who wants to identify themselves as such is welcome!

i'm sort of kidding, you know. age is just a number. (but it does make things a little different when one is pursuing a DDS at this "life stage". lol)

kane

How about this... I am a 35 year old father of two, and just became a grandfather in January:eek: !!! Do that math! Oh, and my girlfriend of almost 9 years has 14 year old twin daughters we are raising:D!! I'm pretty sure I should feel right at home on the old farts list:thumbup: :laugh:

Me!
I'm 31, still finishing up my undergrad. I still have around 11 more classes to go before I'm done! Yikes.

I am married and my little girl is 2.5. And she just informed me, rather matter of factly, that she is NOT a baby anymore. :laugh:

I think we can officially add Krstfrb to our geriatric group. I love being older! I'm proud of the gray hairs that I've earned and I know that I'll be a better dentist then I would have been 20 years ago. The young pups who are getting started in their 20's will most likely have a longer professional career then us but who cares! I'm enjoying the ride!!:hardy:

I must say that I admire the students who are following the traditional path. I applaud their focus and I greatly respect their values. I'm sure we all do.

Yes, there are benefits to having more life experience, but there are also added challenges we have to face. That's why I started this thread. I think the Old Foggies need to feel that there's support out there!

The quest to get accepted is intense (understatement of the millennium), and having a community-within-the-community is a nice feeling.

Kane
Maryland 2013, baby!

I hear that 60 is the new middle age. ;)

may even be a bit young for middle age. My Mom is 81 and she and a girlfriend are heading off to Italy this summer for 2 weeks! I hope I'm still going strong at her age!!

and, really, twenty-somethings... no offense but you aren't old foggies. okay, unless you have KIDS! hehe

but, once again, being an old foggie is a state of mind. (i can't believe i'm about to say this...) and anyone who wants to identify themselves as such is welcome!

i'm sort of kidding, you know. age is just a number. (but it does make things a little different when one is pursuing a DDS at this "life stage". lol)

kane

I was hoping I was not the ONLY 40++ here. But, glad I am not alone. Beside age is just a number it's the inner child that keeps us all young.

I been in the dental field for 20 yrs. now and have always wanted my bosses job. I love dentistry! it's just getting past the DAT, and dental school text book stuff that is going to kill me .... I know 50% of the stuff you learn in school you won't be using over a patient, like figuring out some formula while drilling. I'm great with lab work maybe when I get into dental school, I can trade off with a student he/she help me with text book exams and I'll do dental lab work (provisionals, waxing dentures/partials, crowns,post buildups/ adjustments ...etc. :idea:

I've reached 1,000 posts. Am I considered an old foggy? :hello:

I worked in the dental field for 8yrs before deciding to go on to dental school. I'm now 31 and applying in the 08 cycle. Until I saw this thread I thought, man I'm getting too old to go through this. Its good to see others in the same boat! Good Luck to everyone...at any age!

I am 36, father of 4 ( 2 boys, 2 girls), divorced, and starting d-school in July.

i'll be 31 a couple weeks after d-school starts. but i have no kids.

I'll be a relatively youthful 33 when I start this Fall.

nice...lots of 30-year old dads.

so what's more difficult, being a dad or getting into DS? lol

Heh...whats harder?

Being in your 30s, a MOM, and getting into d-school! LOL :p

Actually, I think it's difficult either way. But you would be amazed at how many people feel the (unsolicited) need to tell me that I'm screwing up my daughter and stunting her emotional growth by taking on this "project"... :rolleyes:

The way I figure it, the job I have NOW would probably stunt her emotional development more - I spend more than 40 hours a week at work, I have an evil boss and absolutely HATE my job. It takes me at least 45 minutes at night to wind down from that after work (and my husband works nights, so I usually don't get the chance to even do that! LOL)

Well, anyway. That's getting entirely off topic and turning into a "crummy job pity party for me" which is entirely unacceptable... :laugh:

Good luck to everyone... of every variety!

nice...lots of 30-year old dads.

so what's more difficult, being a dad or getting into DS? lol

I think it is more difficult going to school and not being able to see the kids as often as I would like. I live about an hour away and when I start d-school it will be 2. I am currently negotiating a switch in custody, so I may have mine once school starts, which is kind of a scary thought. I will have to say that starting college at age 31 was definitely an inspiration to them. They are all starting to consider career choices and which schools to go to after they graduate high school. The 15 year old wants to major in art, he is very artistic. The 14 year old can do anything, (honors classes all A's & B's), she's not sure what she wants to do yet. The 12 year old wants to play baseball, and has honors classes and the potential to be on honor roll. And the 10 year old has straight A's at this point and wants to be a vet. Behavior is slipping with their mother and I feel it is time for them to stay with me to correct the situation and steer them in the right direction.

28. Getting married in July. And for once I feel YOUNG in a thread!

I think it is more difficult going to school and not being able to see the kids as often as I would like. I live about an hour away and when I start d-school it will be 2. I am currently negotiating a switch in custody, so I may have mine once school starts, which is kind of a scary thought. I will have to say that starting college at age 31 was definitely an inspiration to them. They are all starting to consider career choices and which schools to go to after they graduate high school. The 15 year old wants to major in art, he is very artistic. The 14 year old can do anything, (honors classes all A's & B's), she's not sure what she wants to do yet. The 12 year old wants to play baseball, and has honors classes and the potential to be on honor roll. And the 10 year old has straight A's at this point and wants to be a vet. Behavior is slipping with their mother and I feel it is time for them to stay with me to correct the situation and steer them in the right direction.

very impressive, jrstephe. i need some time management tips from you! your vision and dedication is nothing short of amazing. what school are you going to?

32 years old, father of 2 and happily married. Wife stays at home with the kids and I go to school full-time. We are so loaded. :thumbup:
Still on the fence though> between med or dental. I love to use my hands to fix things and have done a lot of mission work in both fields.

I have 140 acres in the country and a house thats paid for. There is no dental school in the city 30 miles away, but there is a med school. I love to live out here too and have no real desire to move, so I can just commute back and forth to med school. But do I want the hassles of meds (my dad, both his brothers, and 3 of their cousins are all docs so believe me, being a doctor has some major headaches)

So lets hear some advice.

very impressive, jrstephe. i need some time management tips from you! your vision and dedication is nothing short of amazing. what school are you going to?

VCU, is there anywhere else??????????jk

32 years old, father of 2 and happily married. Wife stays at home with the kids and I go to school full-time. We are so loaded. :thumbup:
Still on the fence though> between med or dental. I love to use my hands to fix things and have done a lot of mission work in both fields.

I have 140 acres in the country and a house thats paid for. There is no dental school in the city 30 miles away, but there is a med school. I love to live out here too and have no real desire to move, so I can just commute back and forth to med school. But do I want the hassles of meds (my dad, both his brothers, and 3 of their cousins are all docs so believe me, being a doctor has some major headaches)

So lets hear some advice.

the best piece of advice: don't listen to any advice! :)

so besides having kids, what were you up to in your 20s?

i guess the health professions are your calling -- because if you're well-off... i'm sure there are easily other endeavors you could get involved with.

Another fogey heading to VCU... 35 yrs old here. jrstephe, look forward to meeting you in July!

Maybe there are exceptions, but going thru interviews I never once had the impression that being older was a liability -- in fact if anything the opposite.

VCU, is there anywhere else??????????jk

going thru interviews I never once had the impression that being older was a liability -- in fact if anything the opposite.

That's good to hear, ysrebob. Can I ask what your stats were?

How were your grades back in undergrad? I'm even older than you and I'm concerned that my past grades will be an issue. I'm about to embark on all the pre-req coursework...but my old GPA (from almost 20 years ago) was probably GPAo 3.1, GPAs 2.7. 35 credits of A's in prereqs will certainly help -- if I can pull that off -- but what are your thoughts?

Undergrad around 3.8 Whatever grades you make now on your prereqs will be given more weight than your old record. I feel like it's less of a numbers game for the older applicant anyway... there is so much more to your story now than GPA and DAT. Your stats just need to get you to the interview table. Once there, what is 100% crucial is to convey purpose and be able to compellingly explain your reasons for switching career tracks.

That's good to hear, ysrebob. Can I ask what your stats were?

How were your grades back in undergrad? I'm even older than you and I'm concerned that my past grades will be an issue. I'm about to embark on all the pre-req coursework...but my old GPA (from almost 20 years ago) was probably GPAo 3.1, GPAs 2.7. 35 credits of A's in prereqs will certainly help -- if I can pull that off -- but what are your thoughts?

kane

yeah....at the rate that i'm smoking out my brain cells....anything is possible. j/k :laugh:

Your stats just need to get you to the interview table. Once there, what is 100% crucial is to convey purpose and be able to compellingly explain your reasons for switching career tracks.

Very encouraging, Ysrebob. As a 39-year old about to go back for prereqs, who couldn't have concerns, ya know?

I want to PM you about something else...when I get a chance...

Kane

Another fogey heading to VCU... 35 yrs old here. jrstephe, look forward to meeting you in July!

Maybe there are exceptions, but going thru interviews I never once had the impression that being older was a liability -- in fact if anything the opposite.

ysrebob are you a member of the VCU class of 2011 facebook group?

Thanks for the tip jrstephe! I wasn't up to speed on the whole facebook scene... very cool. It's great to start learning names!

ysrebob are you a member of the VCU class of 2011 facebook group?