Any old foggies out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
and, really, twenty-somethings... no offense but you aren't old foggies. okay, unless you have KIDS! hehe

I just have one- a little boy about to turn 1. I guess I still don't qualify, since I only have kid and not kids. I figure I should qualify under both criteria by the time I'm done.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 32 and will be applying next year for the 09' cycle. I still have quite a few prereqs and DAT to finish. I'm in the process of deciding on whether to take the DAT now or wait till next year to test. I think next year so that I will not waist one of my three viable years with the DAT on nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reviving this thread. How are us OLD GEEZER '09-ers doing out there?

i am going to feel really young..... a practicing dentist at the age of 24... that is pretty cool

Hey OnAMission -

First, CONGRATULATIONS, man. From one geezer to another, I *know* how hard that must have been. And your choice of two. Nice.

I'm applying for Fall of '09 -- doing my post-bacc work now, it's a trip being around all the kids, huh? I'll tell ya, the women taking organic chemistry have gotten hotter. I even dated an undergrad cutie! lol I took the prereqs 20 years ago and I'm doing them again. Fun, I'll tell ya.

So how long did it take you do to your post-bacc work? Where at?

And was there a method to # of schools you applied to?

Kane

i am going to feel really young..... a practicing dentist at the age of 24... that is pretty cool

And at 28 or 34 or 41 you might discover that you are an entirely different person, ya never know.

first.... i have wanted to do this my entire life
second.... if anything, many people agree that the dental forums are much nicer than premed...... and... you do not know me... i am not competitive at all... just because I am young does not mean anything....

;)i should have applied to Uop, 23 would be even better.............

Hey OnAMission -

First, CONGRATULATIONS, man. From one geezer to another, I *know* how hard that must have been. And your choice of two. Nice.

I'm applying for Fall of '09 -- doing my post-bacc work now, it's a trip being around all the kids, huh? I'll tell ya, the women taking organic chemistry have gotten hotter. I even dated an undergrad cutie! lol I took the prereqs 20 years ago and I'm doing them again. Fun, I'll tell ya.

So how long did it take you do to your post-bacc work? Where at?

And was there a method to # of schools you applied to?

Kane

PM me and I'll fill you in on how I decided which schools to apply to and my post-bac work. I don't want to hi-jack the thread.

So how does that make you an old geezer?:confused:

define "old" i had friends who did not finish high school to work jobs. THey were only 16, so they might look at a 25 year old dentist as.... wow i have been working for 10 more years than you........ i feel like a geezer sometimes... done with school... have a little bro and sis in middle school.... why does everyone have to be so mean and cynical... i was just being silly and messing around....

Members don't see this ad :)
To translate what OnAMission is saying: This thread is for older, non-traditional pre-dents.

Anyone is welcome Colby27, but please be nice.

Somehow a joke from, what, a 19 year-old (?) doesn't come across as friendly, helpful or mature.

Does anyone know how to edit the title of this thread? I misspelled "fogie".

I started the thread, and I believe I tried to edit it a while back...but do I need administrative authorization? (Which I guess never happened.)

And at 28 or 34 or 41 you might discover that you are an entirely different person, and you'll transition out of dentistry into something else. Or you might never become as dimensionalized of an individual who risked it all to explore the world, your other passions, to get the kind of self-actualization that money can never buy. I feel bad for writing this, but I guess I can get disappointed with the competitive mentality of pre-dents (not you personally, by the way. I know you weren't throwing a bomb. That you were just trying to be cute or funny. This reaction isn't targeted at you, it's just a general response to the more cynical attitude I sometimes see out there. I was browsing the pre-med boards for some organic tips and general inspiration (the "calling" of medicine is slightly different that the decision-making process pre-dental students often go through, which can help feed the discipline we all need to constantly find), and maybe it was imagination, but everyone seemed more friendly, more willing to help their fellow pre-health brothers out in the long, long journey. Maybe I'm totally wrong -- there are definitely a lot of great people in the dental forums. Just an observation that may be faulty.

Who is to say one's self-actualization is equivalent to another's? And, what is wrong with being competitive? What is wrong with becoming a dentist at age 24?

I don't have any problem with young dentists, competition or joking about our ages. My post is from the mindset that age is a state of mind. I actually find it kind of sad that you think you'll be an old geezer at 24. I'm 42 and every time I re-invent myself, it's another adventure!

Time flies, enjoy the ride!

wasnt doogie houser 12? beat that suckas

define "old" i had friends who did not finish high school to work jobs. THey were only 16, so they might look at a 25 year old dentist as.... wow i have been working for 10 more years than you........ i feel like a geezer sometimes... done with school... have a little bro and sis in middle school.... why does everyone have to be so mean and cynical... i was just being silly and messing around....

Dude, way to prove you don't belong in the mature applicant thread. This is what you should do, read this post realize that nothing you have said up until this point has been helpful and head on back to the rest of the forum. There is nothing you could add to this thread to help anyone here and not responding to this post is the only thing that could show you have some level of maturity.

35...married...3 kids...5 mortgages...and starting dental school next year in August. I'm excited! I've had my first career and I'm moving on to my next! I feel like a kid again. The thing is...if you are pursuing something that you desire and have a passion for, forget about the number and forge ahead! I'll be a dentist at the age of 39, turning 40. That's still young, especially for being a "doctor". And even if I was 49, turning 50, remember, age is such a relative thing. In other words, a U.S. president is a "baby" if he wins the election at 36 and will probably be labeled as young and inexperienced.

I am 32, will be 33 when I start dental school (hopefully) I have three kids , my son is 12 and my daughter is 2 and I am married to the other one. ;)
Good luck to all of us more 'experienced' applicants this cycle.

I'm 35, married, and no kids. I will be attending dental school in 2008 and I'm glad to hear from some non-traditionals.

Props to you 30 & 40+ers out there!!! Setting a goal and achieving it is what it's all about!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dr IWannaBe - 5 mortgages?! Investments? And I totally agree about the relativity of age.

LJG - Funny about your third kid being your wife. :)

Also, anyone in the know --

I'm still trying to edit the typo in the name of this thread! lol

Help!