Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Any one here got into medical school as a transfer from another program?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Mgro33, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Mgro33

Mgro33 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, I had a question and I was someone could answer. I have a year off after I graduate this may, and I was going to apply to some PA schools, Optometry schools, or some enhancement programs and then apply to medical schools after a year of being in these programs. Please let me know if anyone has successfully been able to get into medical school after being in another program of this type. Thank you very much.
    :rolleyes:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SawBones

SawBones Transcendentalist
    Physician 7+ Year Member

I don't think "transfer" is a good word. "Accepted" is better, because "transfer" implies some form of advanced standing. In my class we had dentists, nurse practitioners, PAs, pharmacists, podiatrists, shrimpboat captains, etc. many of whom received their education at our university -- but none received advanced standing. They all had to start over from scratch. Not one class was waved for any of them.

I would not suggest going to an optometry program (or other program) if your goal is medical school. Instead, enter a masters program in medical science or something like that.

4. DocWagner

DocWagner Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If your intent is to get into medical school then show your dedication by going into a pre medical Masters type of program...do not enter into a field related to medicine with the pure intent on quitting (it is unfair to applicants who truly wish to be Optometrists etc, and shows a lack of committment). I was a Physical Therapist first (practiced only 3 years), but I completed my program and had no intent of entering into medicine until my 2nd year of practice.
    Best of luck in your decision and I hope you attain your goal.