Any one in a Rural medicine loan forgiveness program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in this and wondering if any one is trying to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar program with my homestate, I get a pretty good chunk taken out of my tuition, as long as I repay those years in a rural setting.

Good blog by a practicing rural IM doc: www.ruraldoctoring.com. She has full breakdowns of financial issues and other good stuff - dig around a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a similar program with my homestate, I get a pretty good chunk taken out of my tuition, as long as I repay those years in a rural setting.

I am on the waitlist for a similar program in my home state. Apparently they only gave out 1 scholarship this year... :( It would be so nice to get that kind of discount on school (and would have really helped me make a decision about which school I want to go to, as the scholarship is limited to West Coast DO schools)!

I am on the waitlist for a similar program in my home state. Apparently they only gave out 1 scholarship this year... :( It would be so nice to get that kind of discount on school (and would have really helped me make a decision about which school I want to go to, as the scholarship is limited to West Coast DO schools)!

Thanks, ronicajay. When did you apply? Do I still have time to apply? I am not in CA.

Hi DiverDoc,
How many years did you have to commit to?

Ive looked into a similiar program in Washington State and they are willing to do 25,000 per year for the first 3 years with the possibility of adding a 4th and 5th year at 35,000 per year. I did not see a requirement to stay a certain number of years, so think the reimbursement is just based upon how long you are there.

Edited to add that this program is for after you graduate and are a physician.

There is another one you can apply to while in medical school, though, I have not looked at the requirements for time.

Justin

is this kinda what you are looking for?

is this kinda what you are looking for?
Thanks! I am not sure if I will go to DMU though. I guess I don't really know if I should go thr' the school I will be attending or the state that offers the program...

Is it contingent on speciality?

Primary care for my state : so..... IM, ER, Family med, Ob/Gyn.

BUT thats only for a certain % of the time. So for example, if I wanted to maintain my status as "primary care" as a surgeon, I would have to just document time spent acting as a general practitioner vs. time spent operating.

If I ended up being _______ doc then I would just have to pay the money back = what I would have paid anyways.......without forgiveness

Sometimes these programs confuse me. Areas need all sorts of doctors. While primary care is obviously the most beneficial, having an orthopaedic surgeon or an anesthesiologist in the area is pretty important too. Its great that someone can manage their diabetes and keep track of their longterm health, but god forbid they get a bad fracture riding a four wheeler or falling from their hunting stand. It could be an hour or two ride to get to a hospital to fix it in some places!

So, if you happen to go for something and have to pay them back. Is there interest on top of that?

Sometimes these programs confuse me. Areas need all sorts of doctors. While primary care is obviously the most beneficial, having an orthopaedic surgeon or an anesthesiologist in the area is pretty important too. Its great that someone can manage their diabetes and keep track of their longterm health, but god forbid they get a bad fracture riding a four wheeler or falling from their hunting stand. It could be an hour or two ride to get to a hospital to fix it in some places!

So, if you happen to go for something and have to pay them back. Is there interest on top of that?

Please, anybody correct me if I'm wrong, but with the national health service corps, if you sign a commitment and then go back on it, you owe them something like 3 times the amount they originally paid you..... thats what I've heard anyway - look it up at http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/

Please, anybody correct me if I'm wrong, but with the national health service corps, if you sign a commitment and then go back on it, you owe them something like 3 times the amount they originally paid you..... thats what I've heard anyway - look it up at http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/

You were soooo close with your link. You could have clicked a couple more times and had it yourself. Here's the link re: breaching contract.

http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/applications/lrp/breaching.htm

Do you get paid when you are working? And how much do you get paid?