Any one know of an OD

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdea

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
in So Cal, specifically cerritos / long beach / orange county area where they are taking in people to shadow the doc? i've called around a few OD's and none of them are interested......

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same issue last year. I called the school and they sent me a list of OD's who are affiliated with the school. The first 3 doctors refused as well, but the 4th one I called was willing to let me come in. I don't remember his name (last name starts with 'I', I think and he was Japanese). He practices in Culver City. A REALLY nice guy, he spent a lot of time with me when he didn't really have to. I sat in the exam room and observed him, he than showed me all the equipment and how to use it, it was really neat. He also had his technicians show me all other machines. Don't remember names now (I did learn them for the interview through), but one was to check the peripheral vision and another lets you see inside of the eye on the computer screen. I had a chance to see a healthy eye picture and several at various stages of glaucoma. Anyway, I had a really good experience. Good luck! :thumbup:

cdea said:
in So Cal, specifically cerritos / long beach / orange county area where they are taking in people to shadow the doc? i've called around a few OD's and none of them are interested......

Hello:

When I was at UCI, I was a TA for a class called HSEP/Optometry which we had a long list of almost 30 ODs in Orange County and LA looking for volunteers. We kept the list updated every year so no one would get rejected if they called someone from the list.

I'm not sure who the TAs for HSEP is now, but when I was a student, Marsha Holland, a counselor at UCI Biological Sciences Student Affairs Office, organized the classes. You can contact her at email: [email protected] (or you can PM me and I'll give you her phone #).

You can ask her for the e-mail addresses of the class coordinators and then ask them for the list of available docs. They shouldn’t' have a problem giving you a list although you’re not a UCI student, but IF there is a problem, let me know, and I'll call Marsha for you. :)

Best wishes,

Rosanna

cdea said:

Well, I know the doctor I'm working for right now is going to need to replace me come July when I leave for OD school. Only thing is, she's in Rancho Cucamonga, a good 40-50 minute commute from your area. I started shadowing her last October and had some informal training from the staff at her old office. I now work with her full time as a pseudo-optician at her new office. I've learned a whole lot more in my job than I would have had I just shadowed her.

I don't know how willing she'd be to take on another OD hopeful, but I can ask if you think you're interested. Just send me a PM if you want more info.